Chit Chat Thread

Crims

Wethermon
I'm making a game and I've always wanted to, though I don't really see the benefit of self expression. It's not that I don't want to, but when I get down to working on it I cba.

live627

In happier news, I have to share this.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is AMAZING to me. Not the story because that's not the part that's legitimately amazing.

They're quoting 'former MP for Dorset East, Sir Michael Take'. Because they've never heard of 'taking the mickey' - they've quoted a parody account as if it's a real one. (Dorset East hasn't been a constituency since being abolished in 1950 when Poole was formed as a constituency)
Discharging poop water? They playing Cities Skylines?

Arantor

Yeah, it's now a thing that we're just pumping raw sewage out to sea because now we're not part of the EU, we're not bound by the EU's water quality rules, and paying for proper treatment of sewage is - survey says - too expensive. So they voted to not bother.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I don't eat fish for several reasons. Now I have another reason to not eat fish. :sick:

Crims

Wethermon
Yeah, it's now a thing that we're just pumping raw sewage out to sea because now we're not part of the EU, we're not bound by the EU's water quality rules, and paying for proper treatment of sewage is - survey says - too expensive. So they voted to not bother.
The leaders we appoint, eh?
EDIT: I mean specifically our entire government.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Hey y'all! We had a significant severe weather breakout on Friday. There were about seven tornadoes swirling around parts of Texas.

We're fine, our trees made it. Other then that, all good and good weekend to ALL!! :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Great to know you're ok, Tiffs. Seven tornadoes though, damn. Your weather makes sunny Blighty's look positive mild.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Thanks @Retro. We're in a pretty good area, where severe storms seem to dial it down a bit as they blow through before they intensify again as the move eastward....though we do have some stories. ;)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's just raining a lot here. As Adams would define it, rain type 17.
Silly question ....who's Adams and what is rain type 17?

Is this it? ;)

Arantor

Exactly this, the description of the unfortunate Rob McKenna the rain god from "So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish" by Douglas Adams.

Rain type 17 was a dirty blatter blattering against his windshield so hard that it didn't matter whether his wipers were on or off.

What that link doesn't talk about is how this is really a very witty piece of observational humour on the part of the Brits who can and do identify the different types of precipitation we have here, ranging from mizzle, drizzle, rain, pouring, chucking it down, cats and dogs, and a few more... colourful terms, then everything up through sleet, snow and, hail, all of which describe the density of the rain falling, the speed/enthusiasm, and the timespan both ongoing and expected.

And the exact meaning of these terms is also vaguely regional...

Crims

Wethermon
I bet you that'll go @Arantor with the way the weather's been in Europe for the last few years now. That's true though, I haven't heard any language for mist or analogies from poetry/stories for years now (and I sorely miss that).

I know it seems kind of irrelevant, but I'm updating my alert preferences so I might not see any reactions on my posts!

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I know it seems kind of irrelevant, but I'm updating my alert preferences so I might not see any reactions on my posts!
Why don't you want to see reactions? Seems odd to me, but perfectly allowed, of course.

Arantor

I can understand the notification preferences; if you write a lot of posts that are popular, the notifications can be annoying.

I've definitely turned off such notifications in my time on other platforms because it can be really weird logging onto a forum day after day to see 20-30 unread threads and 30+ notifications, all of which are reactions. Like, it's nice and all, but it definitely can be stressful.

As for mist... I think that's a regional thing especially; I don't see a lot of mist or fog where I am, mostly because the lie of the land makes this unlikely - Brighton is weirdly hilly and I live towards the bottom of where two of the hills intersect, and so the fog - if any - tends to settle nearer the top, but also the sea breeze tends to keep that away. Inland though, by the South Downs, it's a little more likely... but we don't really have any specific words for it beyond mist or fog.

As for poetry... I haven't seen much in recent times, though I do follow Michael Rosen on Twitter, who has such a way with words (when he is not indicating his frustrations with government)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Arantor Thanks for sharing a bit more about type 17 rain and other ways to define rain the British way.
@Crims Do you write poetry?
@Retro Updated to 9 tornadoes, not sure of their category yet.

So do the British clarify fog in different categories? :) We've had fog the past few days, very strange.

Crims

Wethermon
@Arantor Thanks for sharing a bit more about type 17 rain and other ways to define rain the British way.
@Crims Do you write poetry?
@Retro Updated to 9 tornadoes, not sure of their category yet.

So do the British clarify fog in different categories? :) We've had fog the past few days, very strange.
Down in Brighton there's a set of rolling hills where the fog during this time of year looks like the battle of Hastings, or some other Victorian setting. It feels like a space that has nothing like most places you can visit. And yeah.
Though poems - were more common back before more mainstream internet.

Arantor

Down in Brighton there's a set of rolling hills where the fog during this time of year looks like the battle of Hastings, or some other Victorian setting. It feels like a space that has nothing like most places you can visit. And yeah.
Actually in Hastings it's more prevalent; I spent a couple of years working in Battle. Nice little village, very prone to fog.

And really, fog is just clouds up close.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Love the thought of hills and a Victorian setting. ;)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I just looked at some travel pictures of Hastings....Beautiful seaside and village.

Back
Top Bottom