Classic to Modern Muscle Cars and their design future in an evolving EV world.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
There's nothing like the roar of an amazing engine from a powerful classic or modern muscle car. If you have ever been near a top fuel race car, that is the ultimate in roar and power. Cars are an amazing mechanical miracle and those engineers that design them are awesome, especially when they bring a new design to a classic car that's been around for decades, like the Ford Mustang.

Ford has redesigned the Mustang and brought it to a new look and it's going to remain a gas powered car. Nice!!!!

Ford Mustang.jpg

Along with the news of the new Ford Mustang, there's also news about the Dodge Challenger and Charger. Dodge will now be taking the combustion engine out of these classic muscle cars and converting them to EV's. Personally, I'm disappointed. The whole point of cars like these, are the roar and power of the engine, and then maybe a few other perks. Buh-bye Hemi-V8 :(

I realize EV's will have there place in our world, and change is an inevitable course of life. What I'd like is the best of both worlds.:)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I do like the sound of these kinds of cars. They just scream "power!" :cool:

Heck, I'd like to drive one even more.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I do like the sound of these kinds of cars. They just scream "power!" :cool:

Heck, I'd like to drive one even more.
I had a red Dodge Avenger back in the 90's. It screamed if I needed too! Miss that car. Started a family and got the mom minivan...ewww....sigh!

Add it to your "to do" list in life....just once to spin tires around a race track or a very long country road!
*I did that in HS....shshsh...don't tell anyone!:cool:
I've thought about it for a long time and I think until they actually replicate the satisfying feeling of a muscle car it's basically a different species.

Richard Hammond's recent drive
Love this test drive video!! Going to watch again. Thanks Crims!! :)

Arantor

it's going to remain a gas powered car. Nice!!!!
Which means it won't be available in Europe in 10 years or so because there is a pretty consistent move to halt sales of new internal combustion engine vehicles, in an attempt to do something about climate change.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Which means it won't be available in Europe in 10 years or so because there is a pretty consistent move to halt sales of new internal combustion engine vehicles, in an attempt to do something about climate change.
Oy vay, good point!! Given the accelerated movement towards EV'S in America on behalf of climate change, I feel almost certain, Ford will cave and bring out more EV's, even on their premier models. California is banning gas powered vehicles by 2035 (vehicle registrations etc. will not be renewed; another complicated topic to which I can add more info because it affects classic cars) and there are 19 other states that are starting the same legislation to ban gas powered vehicles in their states.

The all or none push for EV's is my biggest concern in light of power grids and what they can handle. When the governor of California, issued the banning of gas powered vehicles, within that same week he issued a ban on Californian's to not charge their EV's between the hours of 4pm and 6am due to a heat wave for several days. That's when people are home to charge their cars for the next day. These are the issues that need to be worked out and I don't see how infrastructure can even be prepared for it by 2035, (but I'm good with getting started with it) given the cost, man power and amount of time this process would take so our power grids can handle the electric demand.

I get the need to find new energy resources, and agree with being the best earth stewards, though the rate, speed, and political environment surrounding this issue, muddies the whole base premise. If governments are sensible and less partisan on the issue I think clearer heads would devise a better approach, but then that's asking a lot, isn't it? It's complicated.

Arantor

I think it's easier for Europe to push for this sort of thing on the basis that everything is physically nearer and there's already quite some infrastructure for public transport for people to not need their own cars.

Though we're not banning existing vehicles on the road (and renewals aren't affected, as it's not quite the same structure here), just blocking new vehicles from being sold, with hybrids on the books for a few years after that.

Crims

Wethermon
I didn't get to mention it the first time though I love this thread's concept. I'm a designer and generally speaking I love muscle/classic cars - they're a league of their own.

Every single EV I've been in has felt like a hovercraft, and ultimately kind of dangerous due to the silent high acceleration they have. The difference between the two in terms of handling is almost night and day.
I'm personally looking for things like the hydrogen concept Mirai. We haven't got infrastructure though yet.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I didn't get to mention it the first time though I love this thread's concept. I'm a designer and generally speaking I love muscle/classic cars - they're a league of their own.

Every single EV I've been in has felt like a hovercraft, and ultimately kind of dangerous due to the silent high acceleration they have. The difference between the two in terms of handling is almost night and day.
I'm personally looking for things like the hydrogen concept Mirai. We haven't got infrastructure though yet.

I'm in agreement with you. There's something about the silence of an EV that creates an unsafe environment for other drivers. I think humans naturally gravitate to that adrenaline rush from the power that comes from a fine engine or at least appreciate the engineering.

The Toyota Mirai looks awesome!! I'd get red too! Thanks for sharing!:)

Crims

Wethermon
I'm in agreement with you. There's something about the silence of an EV that creates an unsafe environment for other drivers. I think humans naturally gravitate to that adrenaline rush from the power that comes from a fine engine or at least appreciate the engineering.

The Toyota Mirai looks awesome!! I'd get red too! Thanks for sharing!:)
Lol this opinion doesn't show up throughout the majority of Europe. There's a hell of a lot of EV marketing, and i agree that we should be more effective pollution wise in the future but the UK has already great infrastructure.
Mirai is awesome agreed. I don't think we should ever go from 'I actually want to drive this car, we should make money for this endeavor' to 'electric vehicles are cool looking, even if they all drive the same."

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Lol this opinion doesn't show up throughout the majority of Europe. There's a hell of a lot of EV marketing, and i agree that we should be more effective pollution wise in the future but the UK has already great infrastructure.
Mirai is awesome agreed. I don't think we should ever go from 'I actually want to drive this car, we should make money for this endeavor' to 'electric vehicles are cool looking, even if they all drive the same."
Agreed on your sentiment of the layers of driving to buying an EV.

Our American infrastructure is not ready for total EV immersion like the UK. We have highways and bridges that really need serious attention before we tackle eliminating all combustion engine cars, though if our leaders that seem to be daft between the ears, would come out of their personal agenda comas, they could actually come together, have a kumbaya moment and create a twenty year to fifty year future plan. They could actually fund the building of the infrastructure on a yearly basis making infrastructure progress each year in the most dense cities first and then branching out into less dense populations. I think I'll run for President. :ROFLMAO:

Crims

Wethermon
Agreed on your sentiment of the layers of driving to buying an EV.

Our American infrastructure is not ready for total EV immersion like the UK. We have highways and bridges that really need serious attention before we tackle eliminating all combustion engine cars, though if our leaders that seem to be daft between the ears, would come out of their personal agenda comas, they could actually come together, have a kumbaya moment and create a twenty year to fifty year future plan. They could actually fund the building of the infrastructure on a yearly basis making infrastructure progress each year in the most dense cities first and then branching out into less dense populations. I think I'll run for President. :ROFLMAO:
It's more like Norway is an EV country. Europe as a whole has adopted them, generally good however it still has upsides and downsides (batteries are terrible for environment). To elaborate, the UK isn't necessarily well infrastructured and maintained unless its bus and train.
@your message That reminds me of Elon and his train lobbying against reasonable transport in the US.
I don't think EVs are bad whatsoever, though there simply is no way for America to get trains so it's like a moderately okay alternative.

About cars: I would love to see a return to satisfying to buy vehicles.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's more like Norway is an EV country. Europe as a whole has adopted them, generally good however it still has upsides and downsides (batteries are terrible for environment). To elaborate, the UK isn't necessarily well infrastructured and maintained unless its bus and train.
@your message That reminds me of Elon and his train lobbying against reasonable transport in the US.
I don't think EVs are bad whatsoever, though there simply is no way for America to get trains so it's like a moderately okay alternative.

About cars: I would love to see a return to satisfying to buy vehicles.

Batteries are definitely a challenge with disposal. Decision makers in the highest levels of local, state and federal governments have been honest about the disposal issues, however on the highest federal level (US), there appears to still be denial of how and where the battery waste should go, failing to craft a plan to take care of the waste in the best way in the future. Los Angeles is already in a battery waste crises.

Yeah, I don't know how you can create a rail system in the US. I suppose within cities, would work, but to connect them would be a massive engineering undertaking, wouldn't it?

I'm fine with EV's too, as long as the electric grids can handle the strain, there's a sufficient amount of charging stations available and the battery waste disposal dilemma is figured out. That's all really a 50 to 100 year plan to make it right IMHO. Best use of natural resources in a balanced form of technology and an offering for varied choices in public consumption. You can use a lot of gas and oil, and sure, lower those resources in time, but then when you go all EV, then you start mining for minerals such as lithium (Russia has that lithium). Hopefully, more honest conversations will happen with out the political aspect and our future will be brighter with amazing technology that also allows for best earth stewardship.

Here's a new EV option; battery operated flying planes. Would you fly in a plane that is operated by a battery?

battery operated plane.png

No, I would not fly in a plane that's operated by a battery .....how many battery operated home appliances fail, they buzz out, and then buzz back on. Can you see being in a plane at 3000 feet, and all of a sudden your plane battery has a buzz moment shuts off. Oh heck no 😱

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I think it's easier for Europe to push for this sort of thing on the basis that everything is physically nearer and there's already quite some infrastructure for public transport for people to not need their own cars.

Though we're not banning existing vehicles on the road (and renewals aren't affected, as it's not quite the same structure here), just blocking new vehicles from being sold, with hybrids on the books for a few years after that.

That totally makes sense with the topography of Europe. Europe has always been advancing public transportation, so far ahead.

Glad you are not banning existing vehicles and hybrid cars are a great option. We have a lot of hybrids in the US.

Arantor

Hybrids are due to be no longer sold from 2035 though… (vs 2030 for regular vehicles)

Arantor

That’s the UK timescale but I expect it to be rowed back because we’re just not ready for it, between underinvestment in public transport for years (thanks to the Tories) and underinvestment and enthusiasm in privatisation of the energy network (um, thanks Tories)

Like how we’re not taxing the energy companies or capping their profits, we’re instead going to bail them out because they’re poor and starving. Like the bankers whose bonus caps have been lifted.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member

Another classic truck going by way of electric. The current gas powered Dodge Ram has a 33-gallon tank and the turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 was added in 2014 as the first diesel available for the light-duty Ram truck in the U.S. Dodges decision to cancel the Dodge Ram is due to a $300 million dollar fine for having faulty emission controls. Dodge was told it had to load software on their vehicles to be in compliance. So instead, they are ending this long-time classic and converting it to an EV.

It does look like Dodge will be creating a new generation electric truck that will rival it's competitors. Personally, for fun, I'd get a Tesla Cyber Truck if I had discretionary money to do anything I wanted to 🧐 😄

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That’s the UK timescale but I expect it to be rowed back because we’re just not ready for it, between underinvestment in public transport for years (thanks to the Tories) and underinvestment and enthusiasm in privatisation of the energy network (um, thanks Tories)

Like how we’re not taxing the energy companies or capping their profits, we’re instead going to bail them out because they’re poor and starving. Like the bankers whose bonus caps have been lifted.
America does the same. We bail out all kinds of industry, especially in the green sector.

Hopefully, the UK will wisely create a proposed plan for the best process to be ready for the changes they want in transportation. Maybe, your other party, Labour party, is it, will have a chance to make some progress in the near future.

Crims

Wethermon
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
3mins it does sound a bit toy ish.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Here's the article on what might be the demise of classic cars, denial of vehicle registration in the US due to the emission tests these older cars won't be able to pass under new regulations.

Traditionally, classic (and “antique”) cars registered as such are exempt from “emissions testing.” This saves their owners the hassle – as well as the money – that attends having to pass “smog check” as a condition of being granted registration (which isn’t granted, actually; rather it is another thing people are forced to pay for in order to be allowed to legally use their vehicles. Unless, of course, the intention is to fail them. And thereby deny them registration. And thereby, effectively ban them from the road.

Crims

Wethermon
I was recently watching Idiocracy for the first time and noticed that with electric vehicles they all had remote controls. What's the likelihood of this as a consequence?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I was recently watching Idiocracy for the first time and noticed that with electric vehicles they all had remote controls. What's the likelihood of this as a consequence?

Idiocracy, looks like a good movie. I haven't seen it.

On the "remote controls" ....are you referring to a "kill switch" or another remote control feature?

If you are referring to a "kill switch" all US cars (gas and electric) will be required to have them by 2026 all special thanks to Biden's new law. If that sounds a little bitter, why yes it is bitter, because the way the "kill switch" will be monitored and used. Then I think of the safety issues of stopping a car at a high speed. How many of you have raced your standard car and pulled up the emergency break? What happens....um ...yeah...it's abrupt and things could go wrong. What if you were driving on snow and ice and not purposely trying to do doughnuts in the snow, what happens when you stop quickly? Another ....um...yeah from me on that one too. Of course, this is probably another topic entirely because of the physics involved in such maneuvers as stopping a car or the politics. :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom