Dark Patterns

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This video has the FTC talking about dark patterns in America when people try to cancel services and how they're tackling these shady practices. The examples of customer abuse are quite shocking and companies have already been sued over them, with more to come.

This discussion isn't the first topic, so I've started the video at 3:13, but I recommend watching all of it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Crims

Wethermon
Apparently in Asia the same thing is the case. I find the presence of dark patterns abhorrent, though I'll have to watch this later :(

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh yeah, dark patterns are everywhere. In employment it's rife, for example: management does something you don't like? It's waaay easier and safer to just eat shit than try to fight it, which could get you fired in some cases. Abhorrent is an excellent description for dark patterns, indeed.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I just had a weird phone call this afternoon which was a dark pattern, getting me to schedule an appointment like is was necessary by my local electric company for an energy audit. Give me a break. I wish I had not picked up my phone to answer, but I did, so I drilled this person on information. They did not get away with the sale and appointment they wanted. What was creepy, is they had some information on me, but some of it wasn't correct.

I think I'm about to get a robocall blocking app. It's getting worse during this election cycle too, all of the calls coming in, texts too!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Sounds like an attempted scam, especially as they got some of your info wrong. Glad you didn't give anything away.

Crims

Wethermon
With dark pattern so part of our routine has gotten me assuming that it'll be legally resolved by government. (fixed phrasing)

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This fantastic president is doing yet more good for Americans by helping to tackle widespread dark patterns. I hope his bills pass and that some of that rubs off on the UK where it's widespread here too.

The new effort from the Biden-Harris administration is focused on “the corporate practice of giving people the run around, wasting their precious time and money,” according to the White House’s fact sheet. In particular, the aim is tackling the seemingly minor inconveniences that add up to major hassle at the expense of consumers:

Americans know these practices well: it’s being forced to wait on hold just to get the refund we’re owed; the hoops and hurdles to cancel a gym membership or subscription; the unnecessary complications of dealing with health insurance companies; the requirements to do in-person or by mail what could easily be done with a couple of clicks online; and confusing, lengthy, or manipulative forms that take unnecessary time and effort.

These hassles don’t just happen by accident. Companies often deliberately design their business processes to be time-consuming or otherwise burdensome for consumers, in order to deter them from getting a rebate or refund they are due or canceling a subscription or membership they no longer want—all with the goal of maximizing profits.

Back
Top Bottom