Free Cloud Computing Offer

Arizona

So far pretty happy with Oracle's free option. Terminology and site navigation in my opinion difficult compared to Digital Ocean but like everything, use it and get used to it.

Got two instances running, both Ubuntu.

1. This is merely for running a Signal proxy server to offer a way for users blocked by their country to bypass the blocking.

2. Runs a small web server plus Virtual Radar Server, the latter allows sharing of aircraft ads-b data and to be shown on a map.

Both also are encrypted using the free letsencrypt system.

Geffers
Cool! I need to start using Oracle's free tier for some things.

Some of the "hot topics" regarding Oracle's machine learning / data analysis offerings:

For example:

"Since it’s in the database, scheduling Python functions to run is easily achieved using DBMS_SCHEDULER or other scheduling interfaces that invoke SQL. In addition, invocations can be handled synchronously or asynchronously."

And their free tier includes their graph database:

"Graph databases make it easier to manage, represent, and interact with complex relationships in data. The graph model enables users to apply pattern recognition, classification, and statistical analysis, which allows for more efficient analysis at scale for industries such as financial services, marketing, manufacturing, and more."

"Oracle Autonomous Database’s graph offering comes with more than 60 built-in, parallel analytic functions; a graph query language for simple data discovery; and developer APIs. Oracle Cloud Free Tier makes it easy to get started by offering two always-free Autonomous Database instances with 1 OCPU and 20 GB of storage each."

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Arizona Looks like IBM's cloud service is definitely not for me, big business only. Oh well.

Arizona

Yeah, IBM is a hard sell for individuals or small businesses compared to the big three cloud providers (Amazon, Microsoft, and Google) unless you have some other factor involved. I have always had a fascination with IBM since I was a teenager, so that's my X factor.

For one thing, there is a lot more third-party code and documentation for the major cloud providers (Github projects, books, blogs, videos).

Last edited:

Arizona

Oracle and IBM are a problem in that few third-party solutions use their cloud services. I started a trial/paid Databricks account today, which I will use for machine learning. Databricks requires Azure, AWS, or Google for cloud. Went with AWS.

Last edited:

Arizona

I finally signed up for Oracle's free tier, which offers more than Amazon's free tier. Oracle also has a data center in Phoenix (US West), only about a hundred miles from me.

Oracle Cloud also has free beta services, including Elasticsearch and a data lake:

1679956205429.png

Oracle's Marketplace does not offer cPanel but does offer Plesk.

To install Plesk:

Last edited:

Arizona

To install a free web panel (specifically aaPanel) on Oracle Cloud:

Another free web panel:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I wish I had time to try out all these things, I'm sure they're fascinating.

Arizona

Eventually, there will be enough plugins for ChatGPT that you can do a lot of server stuff while washing dishes or even taking a shower :D

Back
Top Bottom