Italy revives policy of failing badly behaved pupils to ‘bring back respect’

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I agree with this policy. I remember when I was in school, how disruptive badly behaved pupils were, including bullies picking on other kids. This would have the effect of causing the well behaved kids to get lower grades and possibly fail, lots of ongoing stress and potential mental health issues. Much better to make the perpetrators pay the price of their bad behaviour than everyone else. Amazing how quickly the bad start to behave better when they understand that they're not gonna get away with it.

They should bring this policy to the UK, but they're too spineless to do so.

Italy has reinstated a measure to fail badly behaved pupils as concerns grow over aggression directed at teachers.

The “grades for conduct” policy, similar to a measure first introduced by Benito Mussolini’s fascist government in 1924, is part of an education bill that was approved in parliament on Wednesday, and gives schools the power to fail students based purely on their behaviour.

Middle school and high school pupils who score five or less out of 10 on conduct will fail the year and face having to repeat it even if their academic standard is up to par. High school students who only score six on conduct will have to do a civic education test. Marks in behaviour will also greatly influence the sitting of the crucial maturità school-leaving exam.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
If our educational systems, across many countries and the US which needs a serious overhaul would revert back to some of the standards that Italy is initiating, students would have more motivation to perform well in school. No one wants to be held back a grade and repeat it, seriously. Interesting Italy history, thanks for sharing!

Crims

Wethermon
Well, it definitely raises a good point. Respect has become something of a joke, despite the idea of individualism being front and center in the political sense. We're [arguably] living in a post human society, when respect is largely about obedience and doesn't factor in. Ego shouldn't be part of being a teacher but considering how many teachers get put on hot coals that I know - for a fact - are better than the ones in constant employment, it'd be good if it works.

Back
Top Bottom