The Twitter thread

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Personally, I am fine with seeing Twitter go down in a dumpster fire, and I hope that Elon Musk keeps it. The place is toxic and brings out the worst traits in everyone.

I have tinkered with Twitter a little bit, but I can't help to have the feeling that I need disinfectant spray at the ready every time I'm there and a complete decontamination protocol afterward. So, yeah, I agree, @FF, bring on the flames. 🧨💣

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Well, this is an interesting twist. I suspect that Twitter's giving him a bit too much of a headache lol.

Musk is getting heck for his choice of the new CEO. Since Twitter has been having it's go a little more to the right of politics, people have found out that Linda Yaccarino has strong ties with the WEF. This new development will be interesting to see if she can win people over and get Twitter in a good place, though it wouldn't make a difference to me; not a fan of Twitter.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The headline for this article is this mouthful, but check out what it says:

Advertisers are returning to Twitter after Linda Yaccarino calmed fears over content moderation. But now brands like Disney, Microsoft, and the NBA have ads placed next to neo-Nazi propaganda.

Yeah, ads next to Nazi propaganda. Hypocrisy much?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The headline for this article is this mouthful, but check out what it says:

Yeah, ads next to Nazi propaganda. Hypocrisy much?

Kind of obvious propaganda.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
wtf is wrong with Musk? Shouldn't really be surprised coming from him.

Crims

Wethermon
I'd be curious if someone uses Jordan Peterson's argument against Elon here. Any arguments against stereotypical 'far right' would be very good.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Do you trust the reason Musk gave for restricting post views? I generally don't trust anything he does nowadays, so I'm not sure what to make of it. There could be some truth to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a hidden agenda to this too.

Have a read and see what you think.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Do you trust the reason Musk gave for restricting post views? I generally don't trust anything he does nowadays, so I'm not sure what to make of it. There could be some truth to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a hidden agenda to this too.

Have a read and see what you think.

I think it's more for this reason:

Mr Musk has been pushing people towards Twitter Blue, its paid subscription service. It's possible he is looking at a model where users will have to pay to get a full Twitter service - and access to unlimited posts.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Well, this one was predictable. No sooner does new Twitter rival Threads go live than Twitter sues its creator Meta aka Facebook. Afraid of a little competition eh, Musk?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I think I'd rather have watched Musk and Zuck fight in a cage. That would have been epic.....as in epic failure.

The lawsuit is stunning and revealing, thanks for the update.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I think I'd rather have watched Musk and Zuck fight in a cage. That would have been epic.....as in epic failure.
Yes, quite. I don't normally pay for pay per view, but I'd do that for this and a premium too, lol.

100m users in under a week! This will really get up Musk's nose! 😂

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yes, quite. I don't normally pay for pay per view, but I'd do that for this and a premium too, lol.

100m users in a week! This will really get up Musk's nose! 😂

Um....yeah...that's a lot of sign-ups! Wow.

Zuck is up Musk's craw for sure with Threads.😶‍🌫️

aussiefooty

Reckon elon musk must of had a big boner over it because of wanting to change twitter which he was forced to take over.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Twitter's logo change is a bit weird. A bird can tweet, not sure what an X can do :unsure::cool:

It is a world wide recognised emblem so I wonder why Elon Musk pays $43 billion for it then drops the name, he could have done as Trump did and started his own platform.

I am wondering if it is to create controversy and interest or maybe just, what looks to me, an odd decision.

I recall a supermarket chain buying the Safeways group and one of the reasons given was the well known name, the stores were then all changed to new owners, may have been Morrisons, not 100% sure.

Bottom line is many iconic names disappear, AOL as good as gone, Yahoo are a shadow of their former self, who remembers Friends ReUnited? We cannot imagine the world without Google, FB or Twitter, TikToc too but will they disappear or diminish, bit like the old BBSs.

Geffers

Mars

Staff Member
Twitter's logo change is a bit weird. A bird can tweet, not sure what an X can do :unsure::cool:

It is a world wide recognised emblem so I wonder why Elon Musk pays $43 billion for it then drops the name, he could have done as Trump did and started his own platform.

I am wondering if it is to create controversy and interest or maybe just, what looks to me, an odd decision.

I recall a supermarket chain buying the Safeways group and one of the reasons given was the well known name, the stores were then all changed to new owners, may have been Morrisons, not 100% sure.

Bottom line is many iconic names disappear, AOL as good as gone, Yahoo are a shadow of their former self, who remembers Friends ReUnited? We cannot imagine the world without Google, FB or Twitter, TikToc too but will they disappear or diminish, bit like the old BBSs.

Geffers
True. It seems this is the sign of our time; obsolescence is inbuilt into everything. Here today, gone tomorrow, and who cares....Shame really.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This really should be merged with the main Twitter thread, to keep the discussion neatly in one place, but I don't wanna rain on your parade so perhaps will leave it like this. Waddya think, @Geffers?

If you cast your mind back, Musk initially wanted to buy it, but then tried to back out. However, the deal had progressed too far, so the owners were able to legally compel him to buy it. I remember how sad I was when they won that battle as I knew Musk would ruin it. Hence, Musk rebranding it to that daft X isn't really surprising to me. What goes through his mind to do that, is of course, a mystery. I wouldn't have changed the branding.

Crims

Wethermon
I spoke earlier today actually about the transience of everything that's only available by the internet. I would even go as far as to say that all of modern entertainment is successful cause hiding much higher quality media is normal. Most trends this year were long established in 2009, but all the websites in 2009 are now under so... Twitter is unlikely to have a backup anywhere.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The "X" is wrong, just saying. It's like totally taking a brand with a logo and making it silent and bereft of meaning or like Prince when he wanted to be called by a symbol. I think it deflates whatever is left of was once the meaning to "tweet" on Twitter. Good luck with that!

Mars

Staff Member
The "X" is wrong, just saying. It's like totally taking a brand with a logo and making it silent and bereft of meaning or like Prince when he wanted to be called by a symbol. I think it deflates whatever is left of was once the meaning to "tweet" on Twitter. Good luck with that!
Well said, I totally agree with you. Maybe he wanted to give 'twitter' a harder look, arrogant git that he is. I hope regular twitters leave him in droves! They should. Then he can take his bloody X and shove it.....

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Mars don't worry, the new Threads app has taken off like a rocket and is giving TwitterX a kicking.

Threads has been created as a competitor by Meta, the company behind the Warm&Cuddly(tm) Facebook, bless.

Back
Top Bottom