Left or Right?

TheURL

Not a political question, but a driving question! If you turn left at a tee junction (90 degrees), you indicate left (even if it's into a one-way street). If you enter a motorway on a slip road (<c5 degrees), you indicate right [in countries where we drive on the correct side of the road! :)]. So somewhere between 0 and 90, the choice of indicator switches from left to right. Where?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I really don't know, math is not my wheel house....and this looks like a word problem :eek:

Alright, I'm going to guess 45 degrees....please do tell the answer! :D

TheURL

I'm not yet convinced there is an answer - I suspect it would be a danger zone avoided by road network designers. Even ChatGPT avoided the issue!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Alright, I'm going to guess 45 degrees....
Yeah, it's gotta be 45 degrees. Think about it, one never sees 45 degree junctions, it's always more or less than that, as that would cause chaos. Why? Think about it, with a 90 deg junction, one generally stops, certainly slows down greatly, and then turns left (right in America). With a motorway / freeway ramp, the angle is shallow, say 3 deg. One then accelerates to merge with the traffic on the motorway. Approaching it at 45 would be ambiguous (do you stop or accelerate?) and hence cause crashes.

I suggest in a hypothetical 45 deg scenario, just put on both indicators (hazards) close your eyes and accelerate like mad! 😛

Back
Top Bottom