Skill upkeep

Crims

Starting my forum experience for the first time in over 10 years is fun. So hello everyone!

For the last while I've been off (but not unaccessible from) social media for Skill Upkeep - keeping the standards much like they would have professionally. (nowadays) I make games and music, which I'm moderately good at :)

A thread for whoever (maybe just me) to talk about their personal creative goals.

I was going to tell a story about my gamedev today though dealing with the surrounding anxiousness about actually finishing things lol

Retro

Founder
Staff member
Great to see you here and back on forums in general. They're the best. ;) Also, you'll be glad to know that we have a strong anti-bullying / trolling stance here, so you won't get any grief from anyone.

We'd love to hear more about your hobbies. Here's my one from many, many moons ago:

Crims

I was working on a game with a huge map. I don't have a time frame for it tho hope to finish it in the next month.

Mars

@Crims Welcome to our forum; enjoy creating your new game.
The way I see it, main thing is just to enjoy what you are doing, do it when you feel like it, don't put yourself under any pressure.

Arantor

Hi :)

The forum landscape has certainly had its share of upheaval in the last 10 years, it's like a whole new world out there. Things that were important 10 years ago aren't any more, things that are important now weren't a thing 10 years ago. Hope you're finding the forum adventure interesting at any rate!

Funny you should mention gamedev, I follow a few indie creators on Twitter, and one theme I've seen in the last day or so, pretty much out of nowhere, is a 'don't bother reading about/watching videos about game design theory, or teardowns of games, just make games, experiment and see what works'. I suppose there's something to that. John Romero even weighed in with the observation that this was exactly what worked for him - DOOM was, according to him, his "90th game".

The other thing about managing that, is that you don't have to show people your creations until you're ready to get feedback, if you even want feedback. It's perfectly possible to do it for the love of doing it and simply for your own satisfaction.

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member
Hi @Crims, website developers, webmasters and people that love forums are a unique group. We're glad you found NZ. I know how it is when you are new and feel a little vulnerable to share of yourself, but I wanted to give you assurances that NZ is a great place to share anything, because the response and feedback you will get back is genuine and sincere. We look forward to hearing about your website adventures and your gamedev journey.

Crims

Hi :)

The forum landscape has certainly had its share of upheaval in the last 10 years, it's like a whole new world out there. Things that were important 10 years ago aren't any more, things that are important now weren't a thing 10 years ago. Hope you're finding the forum adventure interesting at any rate!

Funny you should mention gamedev, I follow a few indie creators on Twitter, and one theme I've seen in the last day or so, pretty much out of nowhere, is a 'don't bother reading about/watching videos about game design theory, or teardowns of games, just make games, experiment and see what works'. I suppose there's something to that. John Romero even weighed in with the observation that this was exactly what worked for him - DOOM was, according to him, his "90th game".

The other thing about managing that, is that you don't have to show people your creations until you're ready to get feedback, if you even want feedback. It's perfectly possible to do it for the love of doing it and simply for your own satisfaction.
Definitely sticking to the last part. I'd rather not make false expectations :p and most of what I make is good in principle until it's actually being developed. Regarding the start I think the content from 10 years ago seems to be more relevant than recently. A lot of stuff features diligence in action by catering to how a game entirely feels. Much like John Romero, it's sort of part of a sequence that you improve through development.

Tbh just going thoughtfully through the process is more than enough. A lot of post 2011 content is value per minute instead of just directly useful things and slows useful progress.

Crims

Hi @Crims, website developers, webmasters and people that love forums are a unique group. We're glad you found NZ. I know how it is when you are new and feel a little vulnerable to share of yourself, but I wanted to give you assurances that NZ is a great place to share anything, because the response and feedback you will get back is genuine and sincere. We look forward to hearing about your website adventures and your gamedev journey.
Thanks! It might mean I might be slow to reply but happy to find a place that exists in general. 'Forum' is kind of thrown around a lot when there's not a lot of direct sincere conversation. Will keep updated :p

Arantor

A lot of post 2011 content is value per minute instead of just directly useful things and slows useful progress.
I have a lot of thoughts on the real vs perceived value of post-2011 content and its connection to the much hyped 'death of forums', but perhaps that's a debate for another topic.

I find myself missing the 'reply as new topic' or similar 'linking of topics' feature that Discourse has.

Tiffany

Pixel Princess
Staff member
@Crims Yes, you've found a cool place to chat silly or serious.

@Arantor My daughter is all about Discourse. I guess I'll have to have her show me how it all works now, especially since you mentioned a feature you really like, intrigued now.

Crims

I have a lot of thoughts on the real vs perceived value of post-2011 content and its connection to the much hyped 'death of forums', but perhaps that's a debate for another topic.

I find myself missing the 'reply as new topic' or similar 'linking of topics' feature that Discourse has.
Same here. I was thinking about writing a book on the history of it and wouldn't mind having someone to bounce ideas off of. I study macro culture, sometimes.

Arantor

I'd certainly be interested to read it - and if I happen to say anything useful, please feel free to use it!