Skill upkeep

Crims

Wethermon
Starting my forum experience for the first time in over 10 years is fun. So hello everyone!

For the last while I've been off (but not unaccessible from) social media for Skill Upkeep - keeping the standards much like they would have professionally. (nowadays) I make games and music, which I'm moderately good at :)

A thread for whoever (maybe just me) to talk about their personal creative goals.

I was going to tell a story about my gamedev today though dealing with the surrounding anxiousness about actually finishing things lol

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Great to see you here and back on forums in general. They're the best. ;) Also, you'll be glad to know that we have a strong anti-bullying / trolling stance here, so you won't get any grief from anyone.

We'd love to hear more about your hobbies. Here's my one from many, many moons ago:

Crims

Wethermon
I was working on a game with a huge map. I don't have a time frame for it tho hope to finish it in the next month.

Mars

Staff Member
@Crims Welcome to our forum; enjoy creating your new game.
The way I see it, main thing is just to enjoy what you are doing, do it when you feel like it, don't put yourself under any pressure.

Arantor

Hi :)

The forum landscape has certainly had its share of upheaval in the last 10 years, it's like a whole new world out there. Things that were important 10 years ago aren't any more, things that are important now weren't a thing 10 years ago. Hope you're finding the forum adventure interesting at any rate!

Funny you should mention gamedev, I follow a few indie creators on Twitter, and one theme I've seen in the last day or so, pretty much out of nowhere, is a 'don't bother reading about/watching videos about game design theory, or teardowns of games, just make games, experiment and see what works'. I suppose there's something to that. John Romero even weighed in with the observation that this was exactly what worked for him - DOOM was, according to him, his "90th game".

The other thing about managing that, is that you don't have to show people your creations until you're ready to get feedback, if you even want feedback. It's perfectly possible to do it for the love of doing it and simply for your own satisfaction.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Hi @Crims, website developers, webmasters and people that love forums are a unique group. We're glad you found NZ. I know how it is when you are new and feel a little vulnerable to share of yourself, but I wanted to give you assurances that NZ is a great place to share anything, because the response and feedback you will get back is genuine and sincere. We look forward to hearing about your website adventures and your gamedev journey.

Crims

Wethermon
Hi :)

The forum landscape has certainly had its share of upheaval in the last 10 years, it's like a whole new world out there. Things that were important 10 years ago aren't any more, things that are important now weren't a thing 10 years ago. Hope you're finding the forum adventure interesting at any rate!

Funny you should mention gamedev, I follow a few indie creators on Twitter, and one theme I've seen in the last day or so, pretty much out of nowhere, is a 'don't bother reading about/watching videos about game design theory, or teardowns of games, just make games, experiment and see what works'. I suppose there's something to that. John Romero even weighed in with the observation that this was exactly what worked for him - DOOM was, according to him, his "90th game".

The other thing about managing that, is that you don't have to show people your creations until you're ready to get feedback, if you even want feedback. It's perfectly possible to do it for the love of doing it and simply for your own satisfaction.
Definitely sticking to the last part. I'd rather not make false expectations :p and most of what I make is good in principle until it's actually being developed. Regarding the start I think the content from 10 years ago seems to be more relevant than recently. A lot of stuff features diligence in action by catering to how a game entirely feels. Much like John Romero, it's sort of part of a sequence that you improve through development.

Tbh just going thoughtfully through the process is more than enough. A lot of post 2011 content is value per minute instead of just directly useful things and slows useful progress.

Crims

Wethermon
Hi @Crims, website developers, webmasters and people that love forums are a unique group. We're glad you found NZ. I know how it is when you are new and feel a little vulnerable to share of yourself, but I wanted to give you assurances that NZ is a great place to share anything, because the response and feedback you will get back is genuine and sincere. We look forward to hearing about your website adventures and your gamedev journey.
Thanks! It might mean I might be slow to reply but happy to find a place that exists in general. 'Forum' is kind of thrown around a lot when there's not a lot of direct sincere conversation. Will keep updated :p

Arantor

A lot of post 2011 content is value per minute instead of just directly useful things and slows useful progress.
I have a lot of thoughts on the real vs perceived value of post-2011 content and its connection to the much hyped 'death of forums', but perhaps that's a debate for another topic.

I find myself missing the 'reply as new topic' or similar 'linking of topics' feature that Discourse has.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Crims Yes, you've found a cool place to chat silly or serious.

@Arantor My daughter is all about Discourse. I guess I'll have to have her show me how it all works now, especially since you mentioned a feature you really like, intrigued now.

Crims

Wethermon
I have a lot of thoughts on the real vs perceived value of post-2011 content and its connection to the much hyped 'death of forums', but perhaps that's a debate for another topic.

I find myself missing the 'reply as new topic' or similar 'linking of topics' feature that Discourse has.
Same here. I was thinking about writing a book on the history of it and wouldn't mind having someone to bounce ideas off of. I study macro culture, sometimes.

Arantor

I'd certainly be interested to read it - and if I happen to say anything useful, please feel free to use it!

Crims

Wethermon
Dialogue
'Suppose the first few things I've done regarding this, achieving goals is download 3d work for making a city level. I have dialogue style and musicians I've contacted (1 lol), from here it's about making a product that I actually feel happy about. This is mostly a practice for something much more gameplay-ish if it works.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-10-at-20.57.58-768x706.png

Arantor

If you haven't come across it already, I suggest tapping into kenney.nl - he's a guy in the Netherlands who makes a bunch of assets. City ones - https://kenney.nl/assets?s=city - might be of interest. (The thing about Kenney assets is that they're generally free for use, and the sort of thing you can either use outright or use as placeholders until you get to better things. He's cool either way.)

Crims

Wethermon
If you haven't come across it already, I suggest tapping into kenney.nl - he's a guy in the Netherlands who makes a bunch of assets. City ones - https://kenney.nl/assets?s=city - might be of interest. (The thing about Kenney assets is that they're generally free for use, and the sort of thing you can either use outright or use as placeholders until you get to better things. He's cool either way.)
Thanks very much! I was using 3d warehouse assets temporarily with the intent of improving the models but this is much more reliable for future concerns of copyright or such. Definitely marking this resource.

Crims

Wethermon
I know it's not a blog though it's always worth mentioning. I def have problems with mental health, much like Arantor mentioned of his outlook. By being more open with that, my most important trait, I reach the confidence point where its more of self rather than confidence. I have a persistent negativity so writing generally (be it for a game) is left until 'am I completely certain?'
I typically don't like certain styles of writing and have been pretty avoidant of them, excellent for me now because it's a confidence issue now and more of experimentation/encouragement, remembering that I am actually OK with that uncomfortable perspective which admittedly takes a while but I know in a sense.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I def have problems with mental health, much like Arantor mentioned of his outlook.
Sorry to hear this, mental health issues are no joke.

You're welcome to talk about it here, but please keep uppermost in your mind that this is a public area where anyone can see your posts, even unregistered users, ie the whole internet. Hence, please make sure not to so say anything too private, or even a lot of not so private information as you never know how it can be used against you.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Hi @Crims I can see your deleted post, so just letting you know that you're welcome to talk with me in pm about these things if you like. No pressure, whatever works for you.

Crims

Wethermon
A quick study of Unity assets which are usable
Wireframe magazine actually is good, particularly the first few (which even has trigger areas on NPCs)
Out of bounds Is a good tutorial
Fish-Net is an ideal protocol for multiplayer (if I find something useful for it)

There's so many internet personalities absolutely atrocious at Unity that it's taking a while.

With all the characters that have come and gone throughout the last decade, I've got a lot of leeway for exaggerating people. Thinking of giving some flair or impersonations of Elon Musk.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
Month later my foot is much more firmly forward:
1 prototype of a game with potential multiplayer and working first person character.
A lot of unsorted stuff.

And on a side note actually wrote some music for my game (WIP).

Very much considering using a self created C++ engine and saying to hell with Unity though.

And I'm observing the more esoteric and weird stuff that people do and logging that. AKA back on writing for fun again.

Mars

Staff Member
Month later my foot is much more firmly forward:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

Personally I have always found that the 'thousand miles journey' was the easy part; it is that First Single Step, that is the tough one.....
But it looks like you have managed that first step forward, Crims. All the best to you.

Crims

Wethermon
But it looks like you have managed that first step forward, Crims. All the best to you.
Ha! I spent like 3 years preparing my first step as a hobby though thanks. I'd definitely be much more successful if I had someone who was a passionate programmer for C#, but lo I've found my angle for making as a designer and getting 80-20 results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom