Ten facts about weight loss drug Semaglutide / Wegovy

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Semaglutide / Wegovy gives a boost to the usual fairly ineffective diet and exercise regime. Let's hope this drug helps to stem the obesity epidemic. It's still important to realise that it's not a magic bullet and has significant side effects.

In a nutshell, the whole problem is that the body fights weight loss, which isn't the reverse process of weight gain and is mostly governed by genetics. See other threads in this section for more info about this.

Wegovy, or semaglutide, is usually prescribed as a type 2 diabetes medication that blunts appetite.

It has the same ingredient as Ozempic, which has been causing a stir recently having said to be used by celebrities to manage their weight.

But experts have warned that there could be some side effects to using the drug as an aid to weight loss, without medical supervision, with Dr Amir Khan previously appearing on both GMB and Lorraine to issue some advice.

Semaglutide.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Controlling insulin means everything to every system in your body, including weight loss.

Some people do really well on this drug. As with most drugs they have side effects. It's a double edged sword, isn't it?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I wanna know if it cannibalizes muscles.

That's a real challenge in weight loss where some are dropping the weight, yet they are losing water and muscle rather than maintaining muscle and dropping the fat. This is where I believe it's so important to have a good protein source during a weight cut, use vitamins and minerals from foods first and use the supplements to "make up" what you may miss from your foods. I take amino acids where they are 99% utilized to build collagen and balance neurotransmitters and avoid blood sugar spikes. I've done OAT testing (organic acid test) both on and off these amino acids and big difference in my results.

I also believe you "eat for the activity", so if I'm going to have a higher calorie day, then I expect myself to be way more active so I don't take on weight.

Sometimes the way you combine carbs and proteins don't necessarily work out the way you think. either. The wrong comnination turns the proteins into carbs (eg. salad with chicken).

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is a big benefit, especially as it's a side effect of its intended use.

A weight-loss drug has been proven to also reduce the risk of a stroke or heart attack, according to a new trial.

The makers of Wegovy, Novo Nordisk, say its latest study shows it cuts risk of a cardiovascular event in overweight people with heart disease by a fifth.

The firm hailed it a "landmark trial", saying it would change the way obesity is regarded and treated.

While the findings still have to be fully reviewed, experts agreed the results were potentially significant.

Back
Top Bottom