The Duke Nukem story: development hell

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
When Duke Nukem Forever was finally released in 2011 after a whopping 15 years stuck in development hell, it was panned for outdated attitudes and gameplay and wasn't very popular. However, I bought it on Steam and beg to differ.

I loved the larger than life and hilariously politically incorrect character of the protagonist, the crude, very funny humour and liked the graphics and gameplay. Sure, it had some imperfections and could have perhaps been a bit more polished, along with a longer campaign, but those weren't serious issues for me. Oh and it's got a glorious 18 certificate!

It's a big shame that its unpopularity means that the game has since been abandoned, although it's still available to buy on Steam for £14.99. I think today's too politically correct attitudes wouldn't allow a sequel to succeed as it would have to be sanitised to the point where it wasn't fun anymore, so this is likely the last that we'll see of Duke Nukem.

This video is about the story of its origins waaay back in the 80s to the final version that I bought and enjoyed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back
Top Bottom