The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
More American heatwaves coming, unfortunately. :(

With the official start of summer still weeks away, a potentially record-setting heatwave is cooking the south-western US, causing dangerous conditions far earlier than normal.

Excessive-heat warnings have been issued from the southern tip of Texas across Arizona and Nevada, and up through the center of California to the northern part of the state, as more than 36 million people across the country brace for days of potentially life-threatening temperatures. Affected areas of California could see conditions of 30F higher than normal for this time of year, as south-west cities, including Phoenix and Las Vegas, prepare to hit peaks above 110F.

live627

Bring it on! We routinely get such peaks in mid July—now THAT is hellish! For reference, stand in front your kitchen oven with the door open. Luckily, we have powerfful centralized AC: one unit for upstairs and another for the ground floor. All mandated by code.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Hot. We now have "excessive heat" warning because tomorrow's high might hit 111℉. Right not, at 10 PM, it 99 degrees.
I don't know how you all manage that kind of heat all summer. That's still really hot at 10pm, like wow!!
Tiffs, I'm sorry you've been hit by such extreme weather again. It really dwarfs anything that we get here in Brexit Blighty and is truly dangerous and damaging.

live627, that 111F is 44C for us metric types and must be absolutely hell - I hope you've got decent aircon. I remember how bad it was when we had 40C for a couple of days in 2022.

Over here at the moment it's 16C and pleasant. Thankfully, there aren't any heatwaves being forecast at the moment.
Thank you! It's been a very volatile spring and happy to see spring leaving out the back door. Not sure what's worse though, severe storms or severe heat? Ugh, they are both bad, depending on the weather pattern I guess. We are 92 degrees today, though nothing near where live627 is in temp.
More American heatwaves coming, unfortunately. :(

Good article, really details what the US is going through and the expected summer heat. South and West Texas has really been suffering. Now it's coming our way with June starting to act like June weather. I think just like the forecast is for a severe hurricane season 2024, it's the same to expect severe heat waves this summer. I'm not going outside for three months. 😊
Bring it on! We routinely get such peaks in mid July—now THAT is hellish! For reference, stand in front your kitchen oven with the door open. Luckily, we have powerfful centralized AC: one unit for upstairs and another for the ground floor. All mandated by code.
I'm glad you have such good centralized AC. We do too, but invariably one unit or another will act up on the worst day. We had a unit go down last month. Our upstairs was 90 F degrees until we got it fixed. So grateful for Willis Carrier inventing air conditioning. 😇

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Look like the weather's gonna get a bit cold here in sunny Blighty over the next few days. I'd rather have this than a summer heatwave, that's for sure.

A cold Arctic airmass is set to dominate most of the UK over the next two days, leading to below-average temperatures.

The Met Office confirmed the airmass would cover much of the country until at least Friday and cause temperatures to dip, especially in the north.

The UK can expect a mix of clear spells and showers overnight, with heavy showers possible, the forecaster said.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This article is making the case for a hotter summer. I disagree as I can't stand heatwaves, especially the 40C+ one we had a couple of years ago. Long may the miserable weather and reasonable temperatures continue.

It’s been a distinctly chilly and damp summer this year, with many Brits complaining that summer has yet to start as we move into the second half of June.

But one forecaster has suggested that this summer’s dismal weather needs one thing to happen to bring about a prolonged warm spell - an ‘omega block’.

The reason for this summer’s grim weather is a polar airflow - a result of the polar front jet stream - a 30,000ft-high airstream where cold Arctic air meets warm tropical air. At present, it’s below us, so Britain is being hit with colder Arctic air while other countries such as Greece are experiencing heatwaves.

The UK experienced its coolest first 10 days of June since 2020, in contrast to the hottest June on record, seen this time last year, when the mercury rose as high as 32.2C in Lincolnshire and Surrey.

But an ‘omega block’ could make all the difference, according to Joanna Donnelly of Met Éireann.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I hope your Omega block stays in place for awhile, keeping you cool! Last summer we had a long term Omega block that kept in all of the high heat for most of the summer, with hardly any rain. Miserable.

Our hot summer is here. All of the severe weather with unusual heat has moved to the midwest and east coast. Right now we have a yet to be determined tropical depression in the Gulf of Mexico, but it looks like it's going to take a left turn into Mexico, however, it will still bring a lot of rain to the Texas coast.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
And now the heatwaves start here in sunny Brexit Blighty.

Just read your link and weather forecast. Great synopsis of the why and where your weather is coming from. Sorry about the heat wave. We're almost to100F and it's not even July yet.

Since I'm a word-geek, I caught the use of "in situ" used in your article outside of where you commonly see it used in medical terminology. I thought that was an interesting use of in situ, it fits.

“Heatwave conditions need to remain in situ for three consecutive days, and by the middle of next week it is possible that some parts of the UK could be reaching heatwave thresholds.

live627

We're almost to100F and it's not even July yet.
we routinely hit that in May here in Phoenix, low desert of Arizona. Because relative humidity is usually in the single digits, it probably feels like 90 in your neck of the woods.

Also, monsoon season s here! Storm clouds peek over the horizon to say hi.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
we routinely hit that in May here in Phoenix, low desert of Arizona. Because relative humidity is usually in the single digits, it probably feels like 90 in your neck of the woods.

Also, monsoon season s here! Storm clouds peek over the horizon to say hi.
I don't know how you all get through those high temps. I'm pretty done at about 100F. I was just reading that Las Vegas, NM is really flooded in areas. Hope you all are doing well and not flooding.

live627

Dry as a bone.

9I on ly found out aout that town when going through NM on the way to OK on the 40...)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Glad you're dry @live627 and no flooding.

Take care in the UK over your heatwave @Retro.

Lots more flooding in the Midwest, like Sioux Falls and Sioux City, wow! Saudi Arabia has had over 1000 deaths from their heat during their Hajj Pilgrimage.

We're just hot right now, this is normal. We won't see rain until maybe August or September unless we get some remnants from a hurricane this summer or the high pressure moves a bit, which is also unlikely....sigh.😑

live627

We got rain here today! Also, dew point of 60 when the temperature is 100 feels sticky.

Example of a storm (miight be microburst, don't know how to identify it)

xoaqnj29om8d1.jpeg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yay, you got rain! 🎉 That's really humid. We have lost a lot of our humidity since it's getting so dry now.

That is an award winning pic and it does look like a mini-microburst. So great you could capture that moment and you were at the right time and place to do it. Way COOL!!!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Long heatwave through Thursday for the UK...ugh! 😟
Yup, it's here. However, it's nice and cool in the airconned office and my home isn't too hot when I get home in the evening. However, it will heat up as the weeks roll on though and I don't have aircon.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yup, it's here. However, it's nice and cool in the airconned office and my home isn't too hot when I get home in the evening. However, it will heat up as the weeks roll on though and I don't have aircon.
Thank goodness for AC in the office.....omg, no AC at home 😥. Hoping you all won't have a terribly hot summer then.🤞

live627

So great you could capture that moment and you were at the right time and place to do it. Way COOL!!!
Actually, I got it off reddit, my local city sub. I live on the opposite end of the metro area, probably 100 miles away.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Well, Summer has arrived in UK just in time for Summer Solstice whereupon days now start to get shorter. Our weather forecasters are adhering to the narrative and trying to scare the population into accepting any measure the Government suggest (Remember, the Government are here to help) to cool the planet.

live627

Remember how they tried to scare the bejesus out of people in southern California when that tropical system went through? It ended up being overly hyped. Funnily enough, the seasonall winter rains brought on by trade winds caused more flood damage.

Oh, a hurricane also hit Califorfnia in the 19th century? Must've also been climate change xD

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Actually, I got it off reddit, my local city sub. I live on the opposite end of the metro area, probably 100 miles away.
Great pic, glad you could capture it from reddit and share it. That's the first time I've seen a compact micro-burst.:)

Well, Summer has arrived in UK just in time for Summer Solstice whereupon days now start to get shorter. Our weather forecasters are adhering to the narrative and trying to scare the population into accepting any measure the Government suggest (Remember, the Government are here to help) to cool the planet.

I didn't realize the days of summer in the UK would get shorter. Our days of summer in the US get longer until August 15. After August 15, our days start getting shorter, less daylight, at least in the south.:)

Remember how they tried to scare the bejesus out of people in southern California when that tropical system went through? It ended up being overly hyped. Funnily enough, the seasonall winter rains brought on by trade winds caused more flood damage.

Oh, a hurricane also hit Califorfnia in the 19th century? Must've also been climate change xD

I do recall that tropical system coming in, and I've seen a lot of that in the news and on the weather channel. They have been over inflating the possibility of bad weather a lot and scaring people. Even today, I saw a warning that we had a marginal risk of severe weather. I thought to myself, no way, we are in an upper level high that isn't moving and until it does, which may be August, we won't have any rain. Sure enough, I was right. I have a good prediction record when it comes to our local weather, lol.☺️

Yeah, man made global warming is real. No scare tactics needed.

You know what else is real? Heat exhaustion and over heating in the hot sun when it's over 100F. Me yesterday, in our barn, trying to get a new pool tab bucket open. They make those buckets so iron clad sealed, not even a nuclear blast could pop the top. I did get it open, and used a bit of nerdzone-style lever-fulcrum maneuver by using a random tool I found. Have you ever been so determine to win? That was me yesterday, lol, however, headache and a bit of nausea from being overheated was my reward, well, except that I did win and got the lid open.😁

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You know what else is real? Heat exhaustion and over heating in the hot sun when it's over 100F. Me yesterday, in our barn, trying to get a new pool tab bucket open. They make those buckets so iron clad sealed, not even a nuclear blast could pop the top. I did get it open, and used a bit of nerdzone-style lever-fulcrum maneuver by using a random tool I found. Have you ever been so determine to win? That was me yesterday, lol, however, headache and a bit of nausea from being overheated was my reward, well, except that I did win and got the lid open.😁
Heat exhastion indeed: I'm no good with it at all. The office is wonderfully airconned, much better than last year as I think they finally set it properly, but I had to go outside for lunch with colleagues and the heat was awful. I couldn't wait to get back in the whole time.

It's deep into the night where I am now and it's much warmer than last night. I've got a desk fan, but it's really not enough now. Unfortunately, I'm unable to get airconn installed, so have to put up with it.

Back
Top Bottom