The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I didn't realize the days of summer in the UK would get shorter. Our days of summer in the US get longer until August 15. After August 15, our days start getting shorter, less daylight, at least in the south.:)
And I've just learned something about the date of the longest and shortest days. :) Here in Blighty, the longest day this year was 20th June and the shortest is likely to be 20th December. I was told that this is because we're in the northern hemisphere and since America is too, I thought the same would apply.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That's miserable when it's hot for outside dining or too warm for sleeping. Glad your office stays cool though.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Thanks Tiffs. Looking over my post, I realise that I should explain that while it's a bit too warm now even with the fan, it's only by a little bit. Hopefully it won't reach those real discomfort levels that we so often get over here nowadays.

btw, my PC sits next to me on the desk to my right, has an RTX 2080 in it that kicks out a fair amount of heat even while idling, along with the CPU and the case side cover is permanently off, so when I turn it off in this weather, the area around it becomes noticeably cooler. I'm sure it saves a bit on my heating bills in the winter! :ROFLMAO:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I struggled with deciding on the right reaction for your post....it was either laughing or the wow...I went with the wow, however, both applied to your PC next to you putting out heat for the winter yet too much heat for the summer. Sounds like you have a good system for both seasons. 😁 My daughter's Alien desktop in her gaming/office room, makes that room like 10 degrees hotter, omg.

live627

My room ends up quite hot because of my computer which has the AMD equivalent of a 2070 Super. Ceiling fan is on from April through October. A tall skinny fan is in the hallway pushing "cool" air from the rest of the house which helps immensely and brings down the temperature of my room by probably five degrees. Don't have a thermometer so cannot say for sure.

I tried looking up the weather in Blighty, but the only match appeared to be New South Wales. So I looked at London. I don't consider 30 to be very hot, until I remember that your houses are solar ovens. Dew point seems quite high where the delta from the actual temperature is ten degrees or less. So I have some purchase recommendations for you, Retro: box fan (large one that sits on floor), dehumidifier (muggy air feels bad, man [pepe the frog emoji]), and a portable swamp cooler.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Remember how they tried to scare the bejesus out of people in southern California when that tropical system went through? It ended up being overly hyped. Funnily enough, the seasonall winter rains brought on by trade winds caused more flood damage.

Oh, a hurricane also hit Califorfnia in the 19th century? Must've also been climate change xD
That tropical storm was real, friend of mine in Southern California said it was quite terrifying, almost relentless heavy rain for three days non stop, she lives almost at the top of a hill so water ran away nicely, those further down the hill suffered quite a bit of water damage. It was the relentless nature of the torrential rain that she found very scary.

However, it had happened before and it is a rare event.

She, of late, quite often gets TV programs interrupted now for severe weather warnings.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
She, of late, quite often gets TV programs interrupted now for severe weather warnings.
That annoys the hell out of me when it happens. However, that weak, ultra high bandwidth TV signal normally cuts right through a storm like it just wasn't there, completely glitch free. I think this is incredible, very impressive.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Hurricane season is in full swing early. You may be aware of Hurricane Beryl. It has traversed the Atlantic at both a Cat 4 and Cat 5, hammered the Antilles Islands, Jamaica, The Cayman Islands, the Yucatan Peninsula, survived the Caribbean basin, which is usually a hurricane graveyard and has now reached the Texas coast where it is now on a north eastern track through Texas. There's a lot of people without power now and has continued to be a life threatening storm. Wishing everyone safety with this storm.

Astro What

Yep... I'm over 200 miles inland... and Beryl is about 60 miles south/south-west of us and scheduled to pass over us with 45MPH winds with gusts up to 70-75MPH. We've already gotten about 4 inches of rain with up to 12-15 possible.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Stay safe @Astro What ....I hope you keep power, have zero damage to your trees and roof and everything will be okay. That's a lot of rain and wind already. I'm further north of you, just hoping to keep power.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Why has it been so wet and cold this week? This article explains all.

tbh, while it's been pretty wet round my way, I wouldn't exactly call it cold, more a comfortable temperate temperature.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Rain is great to cool temps down...glad you are a bit cooler. We had a cool day yesterday because of Beryl coming through. Temps are already climbing back to the normal range and no rain for the next two weeks...sigh.

Astro What

tbh, while it's been pretty wet round my way, I wouldn't exactly call it cold, more a comfortable temperate temperature.
You are welcome to come to Texas. Right now we are pushing 100°F regularly. When Beryl rolled through the ground was so hard packed that it took a while for it to start getting absorbed in many places, resulting in some flash flooding.
We will be back under a heat dome in a few days.

Astro What

Just typical Texas weather. If you don't like it, wait a few hours and it will usually change.
That's like tonight was forecast for clouds so I didn't set up any of my rigs. Went out to smoke a pipe and after being there 20 minutes staring at perfect skies went back in and got my primary rig to set up. So far, the clouds have stayed away.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
30C temperatures are predicted for Friday, but it's already heating up now, which I'm not gonna like at all. Thankfully, they're not predicting a heatwave. Yet.

A heat-health alert has been issued for parts of England, with temperatures predicted to hit 30C (86F) on Friday.

The alert is in place from 17:00 BST on 18 July in London, the East Midlands, South East and eastern England.

Areas across the UK that have experienced a July washout so far are now set to turn a lot drier and warmer, albeit briefly.

The weekend will see a band of rain move across the UK from the west, bringing in showers and some thunderstorms, and cooler weather for all by Sunday.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That's really hot late in the day, @live627. Does brick or stucco siding built homes stay cooler in high heat?

live627

No idea. Every house we lived in since 1999 was stucco. I do know that brick retains heat very well because I would build small brick ovens for fun in the backyard with spare bricks when I was younger. Stucco is quite thin.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Hit 35C today, the hottest day of the year. Luckily, I was in an air conditioned office at work and my car has aircon too. Not so bad at home right now with my simple fan.

I just hope we don't get the dreaded 40C like we did a couple of years ago.

Astro What

Hit 35C today, the hottest day of the year. Luckily, I was in an air conditioned office at work and my car has aircon too. Not so bad at home right now with my simple fan.
That's an average summer day for us in Texas. We usually start complaining when it reaches the 100°F (41°C) temps (and higher) and maintains them for a few weeks. We are coming up on that period now. Usually it's in the latter July to early August period.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's really hot. It's humid here too, making it so much worse though. Is your heat fairly dry?

Astro What

That's really hot. It's humid here too, making it so much worse though. Is your heat fairly dry?
Nope, usually in summer it's sauna time.
Right now it's around 53% and barely a cloud in the sky. Normally we've been around 70% or better and the dew starts forming on the grass shortly after the sun sets.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's freaking hot, 100F+ and not much humidity as Astro What just shared. There is not any rain in the forecast for another two weeks and I'm sure we will finish out August without rain. The past few days, there hasn't been any breeze either, omg!

Back
Top Bottom