The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Oh, wow, you are going to get some cold weather and maybe some snow? "Beast from the East" is a new term for me. Good article attached to the yahoo article you shared.

We have a potential for severe storms tonight. I think we will be fine though. The squall line is pretty narrow and it will be a fast moving storm. Oklahoma and a few eastern states have to worry about a severe weather out-break though.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Storm blew through really fast, just enough wind (a lot of wind) to create a mess though.:rolleyes: Norman, Oklahoma had significant tornado damage, really sad to see. Looks like at least EF2 to EF3 damage?

Drone footage of Norman, Oklahoma's tornado damage.

This Thursday, we are expecting a severe weather outbreak with storms again.

How's your weather in the UK? Is it still cold? Rainy? I was just looking at your link to your above forecast?

Arizona

This is the worst / coldest winter since I moved to Arizona almost a decade ago. Where I live, we have days that are relatively warm (low 30s at night and 50s or even 60s during the day) and then we are back to a few inches of snow and colder temps (30s during the day like today), which is nothing compared to Flagstaff with 20 inches at times of accumulated snow. In the past, the winters had less rain and snow and moisture in the air.

This winter, even some parts of Phoenix are getting a little snow sometimes. To prevent roof damage, the poor souls who live in Flagstaff have to pay $1,000 or so to have snow removed from their roofs -- if they don't do it themselves.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Going by recent personal experiences of people here, you wouldn't think the world is warming, but cooling. Make no mistake though, it's warming overall. No climate change denial here.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I've always thought of Arizona has hot, dry, and barren like Southern California with exception of your monsoon season. I had forgotten the northern part of Arizona's terrain changes with mountains that go into Utah. It's cooler than I realized, but makes sense. Surprising that Phoenix has been getting snow too. That's really expensive snow removal remediation for the roofs. Are there a lot of flat roofs/pueblo style or are the roofing styles mixed? I've been through the scenic parts of Arizona but have not seen more of the cities.

Temperatures have been all over the map this past year everywhere; a very changing climate. We broke temperature records the other day too for hot weather in February. Tomorrow we are expecting a really bad severe weather outbreak. This one I'm getting ready for. As a matter of fact, I have to go outside and start stowing away anything that's breakable or can take flight. On my way out the door to do that now.

Last edited:

Arizona

Are there a lot of flat roofs/pueblo style or are the roofing styles mixed?
The vast majority is sloped roofing in the snow-heavy areas. Except for commercial buildings, I guess, like grocery stores.

The pueblo style is more common where I live, but I have a sloped roof.

It's just the amount of snow that is the problem for the people at higher elevations:

1677713901268.png

"numerous residents have called them due to leaking or collapsed roofs from the compacted snow."

“What we are seeing is two feet of condensed snow or more, these roofs are exceeding the capacity of the weight limit of snow they have on them.”

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Just watched your video....OMG...so much snow on the roofs....like in several feet. Sometimes you don't know the impact of severe weather until you see it in pictures. There have been a lot of blizzards and snow storms coming through this winter. Your state has been so impacted by your unusual season. I can also see why the snow remediation would cost $1000 because of needing to hire a licensed company. That's pretty dangerous work.

Arizona

Do you ever have to deal with tornados? I am glad I don't have to worry about those. I have family in Alabama, but they haven't had a problem with tornados so far.

I was surprised too about the snow and cold when I started living here. We bought the place in the summer. So, I wondered, why does our home have a wood fireplace? Why does our water heater use propane gas? We've been lucky though -- we have never lost electric power during the winter. So the wood fireplace is just a backup now since I don't like the burning wood smell. And I have a dog who is prone to bronchitis.

Flagstaff is a great place to live...in the summer :) Phoenix is surreal in the summer. Like 100 degrees even at 10 PM. And one summer they had to close the airport for a few hours or so because it was too hot for the airplane tires to land.

So I like where I live (Prescott area) since it doesn't have the extremes of Flagstaff or Phoenix. My husband though hates the winter. So that's one reason we may move eventually one day, besides moving closer to family. I am happy anywhere as long as the computer is working :D

With the flexibility of working online, I like the idea of living in two parts of the country eventually one day. Like living here in the spring, summer, and fall and living in the winter in Georgia, Alabama, or Tennessee. When I was a kid living in Florida, I thought my "snow bird" neighbors were weird for living in two places, but now it makes perfect sense since it could be like being on a long, extended vacation.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yes, March through May and August through November (August, September and October are the higher risk months during hurricane season), we have an enhanced risk of severe weather outbreaks every year. Today is no exception as we are expecting severe weather including tornadoes. I've already prepared the outside and secured furniture and put inside anything loose that could blow around. In March through May we have the transition of winter to spring. The warm Gulf of Mexico moisture pushes against the Arctic cold from the north while clashing with the jet stream that's sitting along the plains of the US. The same happens in the fall, the only extra element during the fall is hurricane season starts in June through November and usually the hurricane driven weather affects the fall transition to colder weather, creating that weather threat again. Because of topography in our area, we (me personally) usually get through these storms with some damage/not severe because the storms like to really fire up when they arrive in more open country areas in East Texas after passing through the Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW) area.

Severe weather 1.png

I'm glad you have a wood fireplace, and agree, the amount of debris and smoke that comes from it is pretty severe. We've had to rely on ours during snowmageddon of 2021 and icemageddon of 2022, but otherwise hadn't used it and we've been in this home for maybe eleven years now.

It sounds like you are in the perfect location in Arizona and I do get the allure to live in a different places during the year and laughed at the fact that as long as you have your pc, it's all good! Same here...my husband and I talk about retirement and how it will look one day and how we would live some months in the Caribbean (not in hurricane season) and some months in the US and maybe go to summer in places far north during the hot summers in Tx. ;)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The south in the US has had a pretty active and volatile spring this year. Last week (Thursday) we had an extremely volatile storm that carried sustained winds up to 85mph, which is the equivalent to an EF1 or Category 1 hurricane and the problem with sustained winds like this is the whole DFW area was under threat, as if a tornado was cutting a path through all of North Texas. We lost power for over fiver hours too, very frustrating. We still have to check our roof.

Today, we are under another severe threat. I just checked for a weather update and we are expecting all modes of bad weather and potentially some really big hail.

DCT_SPECIAL2_1280x720.jpg

I started my spring cleaning this week and had moved stuff on the patio to be dealt with (you know the keep, toss or throw thing) and yesterday, I spent hours outside taking care of it to get ready for today. We are currently under a tornado watch until 8pm, but I suspect it will be switched to a warning by 5pm when the mayhem will begin. Super cells expected, which is a concern too, because they can pop up really fast with little warning.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I hope everyone's spring weather has been nice! :)

We've been in a cycle of storms for Thursday's and Friday's the past couple of weeks. Same for tomorrow and Friday, storms for us, lots of wind gusts but not too severe of thunder storms. Arkansas and the Ohio valley of states have a more severe threat this week.

Mars

Staff Member
Talking about climate change affecting the weather everywhere on earth; yesterday we heard that Switzerland had several episodes of heatwaves last summer. I mean, Switzerland, the Alps country...

I bet climate change deniers will have a reply to this as well, any explanation will do, as long as it does not involve climate change, which does not exist, according to them.

I am so saddened by the plight of polar bears, and other animals, who now have to either adapt, or perish. Hope to God it does not come to this.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I had no idea the Alps were affected in Switzerland last summer. Our weather has indeed been in a weird cycle for the past few years.

I'm also sad for the animals that are threatened through our ever-changing weather extremes. I've seen enough changes in the local animals that live in my eco-system that really saddens me. We use to have lots of rabbits in our back yard, but no more.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yesterday, we had a low risk chance of severe weather. The storm passed us but not without some cloud to ground lightening. What made this unusual was that all three of my dogs became anxious. I've never had dogs with anxiety around storms, because I'm not that type of person that gets anxious during storms, I'm the type of person that's out there filming the twister while it's coming towards me. :rolleyes: Anyway, after one of these loud clashes there was also a loud noise that came from my work out room at the same time. It turns out the lightening some how got to my cable receiver and fried it. My husband detached the cable and while taking it out to the kitchen for an inspection the receiver was making clanking noises like it was full of coins. OMG!!

The rest of this story I'll post on the UPS thread, as there's another lesson learned on battery back-ups. ;)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
:ROFLMAO:ROTFLMAO :ROFLMAO:

nor.com%2FS7PJ4G5ON_gAAAAM%2Flaughing-hysterically.gif

Thank you for your condolences on the receiver!!🤭

I just learned today how bad my cable provider customer service sucks! It took me being on hold an ungodly amount of an hour and 15 minutes, and an online chat wait of another hour. New receiver to be sent in 5 to 7 days. R U kidding me!! ☠️ They don't get that I just started spring cleaning this room, shredding paper from hell, and I need a TV to get through it. 🫣

Mars

Staff Member
Yesterday, we had a low risk chance of severe weather. The storm passed us but not without some cloud to ground lightening. What made this unusual was that all three of my dogs became anxious. I've never had dogs with anxiety around storms, because I'm not that type of person that gets anxious during storms, I'm the type of person that's out there filming the twister while it's coming towards me. :rolleyes: Anyway, after one of these loud clashes there was also a loud noise that came from my work out room at the same time. It turns out the lightening some how got to my cable receiver and fried it. My husband detached the cable and while taking it out to the kitchen for an inspection the receiver was making clanking noises like it was full of coins. OMG!!

The rest of this story I'll post on the UPS thread, as there's another lesson learned on battery back-ups. ;)
Tiffany, you are right in saying that dogs pick up on their human's frame of mind, mood and emotions.
In fact, they can literally smell it. When we are afraid or anxious, there are hormonal changes within our body, which the dog can actually smell.
You say none of your previous dogs had any anxiety issues, were they the same breed as your current sweet fluff balls or tiny Gidget? I wonder whether it could be a breed thing?
One thing is for sure, they could not pick up on any anxiety vibes from their mum; not if mum boldly goes to confront a twister armed with only a camera.... 🙃

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This is pretty bad news for these people. :(

It really is....the video from your link...OMG! o_O Devastating damage and loss of life. What a very volatile spring this year and March usually is calmer then April and May.

From the weather channel:

The multi-day weather event that hit Rolling Fork, Mississippi was very severe.

A look at the Rolling Fork, Mississippi damage from a more local news outlet.
https://www.wcvb.com/article/fatal-tornado-ripped-through-mississippi-alabama/43415881

Tiffany, you are right in saying that dogs pick up on their human's frame of mind, mood and emotions.
In fact, they can literally smell it. When we are afraid or anxious, there are hormonal changes within our body, which the dog can actually smell.
You say none of your previous dogs had any anxiety issues, were they the same breed as your current sweet fluff balls or tiny Gidget? I wonder whether it could be a breed thing?
One thing is for sure, they could not pick up on any anxiety vibes from their mum; not if mum boldly goes to confront a twister armed with only a camera.... 🙃

Yes, indeed. :) All of my dogs past and present have not had any anxiety over storms....and yes, probably because I don't react to storms either, I'm just crazy enough to stand outside for that perfect picture....which reminds me, I have sooooo many weather pictures to go through and share. This electric storm was so different though, and because the strike damaged my receiver, I'm sure the noise coming from that room they knew wasn't normal, and also, they read my emotions, come to think of it? Gidget was the most scared. She did tremble a lot and when I started holding her, she was climbing to my shoulders and wanted to tuck her head in my neck. I had to finally bring her to the couch for safety. Champy Bear was the less bothered, but he's just super cool, if there's any dog in sink with me it's Champy. Snowy was upset and very clingy, which was unusual, because none of my dogs have ever reacted to storms. I finally put Gidget in her little soft doghouse with in extra blanket to get under. I would say, the Chihuahua breed would likely be very frightened and that doesn't surprise me with Gidget. She doesn't even like the sound of violent movies. She will sit as close as possible to me and get under a blanket.

Mars

Staff Member
Yes, indeed. :) All of my dogs past and present have not had any anxiety over storms....and yes, probably because I don't react to storms either, I'm just crazy enough to stand outside for that perfect picture....which reminds me, I have sooooo many weather pictures to go through and share. This electric storm was so different though, and because the strike damaged my receiver, I'm sure the noise coming from that room they knew wasn't normal, and also, they read my emotions, come to think of it? Gidget was the most scared. She did tremble a lot and when I started holding her, she was climbing to my shoulders and wanted to tuck her head in my neck. I had to finally bring her to the couch for safety. Champy Bear was the less bothered, but he's just super cool, if there's any dog in sink with me it's Champy. Snowy was upset and very clingy, which was unusual, because none of my dogs have ever reacted to storms. I finally put Gidget in her little soft doghouse with in extra blanket to get under. I would say, the Chihuahua breed would likely be very frightened and that doesn't surprise me with Gidget. She doesn't even like the sound of violent movies. She will sit as close as possible to me and get under a blanket.
Yeah, it could well be that the unusual bang coming from inside the home, from a direction which they are not accustomed to, heightened the dogs' sense of unease.
Hence Snowy's clinginess, which you say is unusual for him.

In reality, all animals are tuned to subtle changes in the atmosphere around them. When you think about it, that is how, in the wild, they can 'sense' distant rain and start their migration toward the green pastures.
No surprise then, that they would react to a thunder storm, where the electrical condition of the atmosphere around them is thrown off kilter.
Especially as you say that this particular electric storm was different.

Give a hug to Champy from me, for being the 'less bothered' and super cool, as you say. He sounds like a big guy under that small soft fury facade of him.

It would be lovely to see some of your weather pics, when you get around to it, no rush. I know exactly how it is when life gets in the way......

Back
Top Bottom