The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
here's a British American on this very subject xD

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I watched the video along with a couple of others and quite like that channel. He's got quite an irreverent presentation, his speaking style is quite comedic and he sounds a bit like Steve Coogan's obnoxious comedy character, Alan Partridge which cracks me up a bit.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's getting colder here
I would love to have some of your cold weather right now. Stay warm and cozy. :)

Freaking severely humid and hot here with severe storms tonight. We are good right now. Thank goodness because our little Chi-Chi Gidget gets so upset with the storms now.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I watched the video along with a couple of others and quite like that channel. He's got quite an irreverent presentation, his speaking style is quite comedic and he sounds a bit like Steve Coogan's obnoxious comedy character, Alan Partridge which cracks me up a bit.

I'll have to look up Steve Coogan :)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
We had severe storms that came through Thursday night and more on Saturday night. The storm on Thursday was extremely damaging to a town in north Texas with an EF2. Friday morning I woke up to our patio furniture being tossed and moved about 25 feet across our patio from the second storm that came through in the middle of the night. That's the most powerful wind I've ever seen to move furniture like that. One of our neighbors lost a very large mature tree from this storm. We are lucky though, compared to those that had all of the tornadoes. Last week a derecho storm came through the south and carried it's destruction all the way east to Georgia. Georgia had several tornadoes and lots of damage.

Now we are in a record breaking heat wave of 100F/37C temperatures for the next two weeks....I'm sure it will last longer because those temps are expected for July and August anyway. I'm very unhappy to already be dealing with these hot temps. There is no rain or storms expected for weeks either. Usually, the jet stream rises and we sit in an upper level high ridge most of the summer with very little rain and all of the heat. Sometimes we get a heat or rain break in August depending on the hurricane season.

Hurricane season is going to be weird this year, not because of the El Nino, but because of the SST (sea surface temps) are already high and the high humidity which is a lot of trapped energy. We already have an invest coming across the Atlantic and heading towards the Lesser Antilles. Very unusual for June. Your highest risks for powerful hurricanes are from mid August to the end of September. El Nino typically will produce a lot of wind shear that helps to prevent hurricanes from either forming or at least reduces their strength.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The southern US states just went through another record breaking heat wave. Temperatures over 100F (37.7C) with 115 to 120 heat index. It's been a very hot week. Even my dogs don't like being outside with this heat. Thank goodness for air conditioning. We get a break this week.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Been a rather warm day today in the mid 20s, so I'm feeling a bit of mild heat exhaustion.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
The cost of power has gone through the roof here too. It's painful to open up my bill. 😵‍💫

We have a squall line coming through tomorrow....oh yay!!

Last night had a soaker-rain that ended this morning, with mild temps in the 60's F (15C) , sunny, but a very windy day. I would like to live in a place that has mild temperatures and no need for heating or AC.

The UK's weather sounds really nice!
I was in California for 6 weeks until late June, hardly had any Sun, overcast most days. Warm enough but UK temperatures much better.

Apparently there is a Californian saying, May Grey followed by June Gloom.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Been a rather warm day today in the mid 20s, so I'm feeling a bit of mild heat exhaustion.

I hope you are feeling better with the heat. If you don't have AC, I can see why the heat would bother you without cross-ventilation, a breeze of something at home. We are now in the 38C/100F for the next 6 to 8 weeks or so. It's so hot and our AC barely keeps up with it.
I was in California for 6 weeks until late June, hardly had any Sun, overcast most days. Warm enough but UK temperatures much better.

Apparently there is a Californian saying, May Grey followed by June Gloom.

Geffers

I like that saying, it sums up California's weather in those months really well. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I hope you are feeling better with the heat. If you don't have AC, I can see why the heat would bother you without cross-ventilation, a breeze of something. at home We are now in the 38C/100F for the next 6 to 8 weeks or so. It's so hot and our AC barely keeps up with it.
Thanks Tiffs, it's better at the moment and you're right, it's nasty without AC, but unfortunately, I don't have the option of getting one installed. Guess I should look to buying a portable one perhaps, where the exhaust is put out of the window.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro That's very frustrating and with the hotter than normal weather the UK is having, you would think there could be an easier alternative or landlords would commit to installing systems in looking at the future of your warmer weather that appears to be a constant now. A mini split AC unit per housing unit would be a perfect solution for buildings without internal duct.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
At the end of June, they were predicting 40c weather about now, which I was dreading. Instead, we've got moderate temperatures and wet weather: a big improvement.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
At the end of June, they were predicting 40c weather about now, which I was dreading. Instead, we've got moderate temperatures and wet weather: a big improvement.

Strange how they can't get it right from day to day but know if we keep driving our cars it's going to be hotter in 5 years time.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member

So glad you all are getting a break. We are hotter than Hades here. Huge heat dome threatening so many southern states right now. Normally, that's expected every summer, the issue is that the humidity is abnormally high which makes it dangerous for those out in the heat.

Strange how they can't get it right from day to day but know if we keep driving our cars it's going to be hotter in 5 years time.

Geffers

Lol.....clever observation.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Geffers
It does actually make sense. The difference is because predicting the overall climate is more predictable and certain than the weather on any particular day, especially for chaotic events like tornados. Two weeks is currently at the limits of current weather prediction technology, hence got today's weather wrong. However, that heatwave is still likely to hit soon, perhaps in a week or so.

I'm actually watching the documentay below and I recommend you watch it too, which shows that Exxon Mobil knew the climate as it is today waaay back in the early 80s! However, in the interest of vast corporate profits, they sowed doubt in people's minds about the effects of climate change. By 1998, scientists absolutely knew that global warming was being caused by man, but the company's reps continued to peddle lies, so the scientists were ignored - basically Trump style populist lies won out. It's quite the scandal in fact, and today's global warming is basically their fault. I'm currently on the second episode, three in total.

Note my Sky recordings are showing as available only until 21st July at which point they auto delete, but a check on iPlayer doesn't show an expiry date. However, I still suggest watching it sooner rather than later, just in case. It's fascinating - and depressing.

This user review also summarizes it nicely:

For people in places other than the UK (while we still have one), you'll need to use a VPN set to UK to access iPlayer. It's well worth it for this documentary though.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Extreme weather resulting from warming climate is "unfortunately becoming the new normal", the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) has warned.
Exactly.

Thankfully, the UK is still experiencing moderate temperatures and wet weather. I wonder how long it will last.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It does actually make sense. The difference is because predicting the overall climate is more predictable and certain than the weather on any particular day, especially for chaotic events like tornados. Two weeks is currently at the limits of current weather prediction technology, hence got today's weather wrong. However, that heatwave is still likely to hit soon, perhaps in a week or so.

I'm actually watching the documentay below and I recommend you watch it too, which shows that Exxon Mobil knew the climate as it is today waaay back in the early 80s! However, in the interest of vast corporate profits, they sowed doubt in people's minds about the effects of climate change. By 1998, scientists absolutely knew that global warming was being caused by man, but the company's reps continued to peddle lies, so the scientists were ignored - basically Trump style populist lies won out. It's quite the scandal in fact, and today's global warming is basically their fault. I'm currently on the second episode, three in total.

Note my Sky recordings are showing as available only until 21st July at which point they auto delete, but a check on iPlayer doesn't show an expiry date. However, I still suggest watching it sooner rather than later, just in case. It's fascinating - and depressing.

This user review also summarizes it nicely:

For people in places other than the UK (while we still have one), you'll need to use a VPN set to UK to access iPlayer. It's well worth it for this documentary though.

I look at the weather forecast for ten to two weeks ahead for funsies, realizing that it will all change, but it is rather interesting to see the predictions versus what really happens. The most definite weather predictions that usually come true are major weather events. It's rather eerie how a week ahead of time, the predictions of severe weather are most certain, the only variable is what city will get the worst of the weather once the storm system arrives.

I'll look at your documentary; looks interesting.

We are in another extreme heatwave. A shout out to our southern neighbors to stay safe and to Arizonian's and people in Nevada too. Terrible record breaking temperatures. Death Valley may hit a record breaking 130 F. (54.4 C). Glad the UK is still staying moderate.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Tiffs, I saw a documentary on weather prediction where they explained that what's especially tough to predict and therefore interesting, are inflection points in the weather due to their chaotic nature, such as that hurricane that hit in 1987 with Michael Fish making that infamous prediction that the weather was going to be just fine. Of course, weather prediction has improved a lot in the 36 years since then, but these things are still tough to predict.

The weather was ok today, but it's still steadily warming, so I give it about another week until we start sweltering here in sunny Blighty. Stay safe.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Tiffs, I saw a documentary on weather prediction where they explained that what's especially tough to predict and therefore interesting, are inflection points in the weather due to their chaotic nature, such as that hurricane that hit in 1987 with Michael Fish making that infamous prediction that the weather was going to be just fine. Of course, weather prediction has improved a lot in the 36 years since then, but these things are still tough to predict.

The weather was ok today, but it's still steadily warming, so I give it about another week until we start sweltering here in sunny Blighty. Stay safe.

Interesting, I'm looking forward to digging into "inflection points". I'm very familiar with hurricane Hugo of 1989 and I'll look up hurricanes in 1987 and Michael Fish's comments.

Hot and very humid today and had a stray thunderstorm come through at daybreak. Sorry y'all are about to step up in heat....maybe there will be a miracle and the heat will be delayed. ;)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro I still need to do the VPN thing, but meanwhile found a summary of your documentary to read:

An article I found on inflection points by your suggestion:

@aussiefooty Stay warm.....feel free to send the UK and US some of your chill. We are roasting here. ;)

@Geffers Stay cool with this heat!

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
No pic though we had 7 or so foxes in the back garden today. Normally it's less than 2. Despite all the rain it's quite good levels of sun atm.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
No pic though we had 7 or so foxes in the back garden today. Normally it's less than 2. Despite all the rain it's quite good levels of sun atm.

I can see the foxes in my mind just from your description. What a treat to see them in your garden. :)

aussiefooty

It's currently pissing down rain with some sleet and snow in between. Snow's not settling because it's too wet.

Back
Top Bottom