The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

TheURL

The strange thing is, I always thought the world was obsessed with the weather; the Brits for complaining about theirs, and everybody else for telling us how much better theirs is than ours. At least, that's been my experience. But maybe forum members here are a little more honest and open! :)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I think in some bizarre way talking about the weather brings people together. The weather is part of our "every day" experiences and some people live in countries with extreme weather conditions depending on the season. Talking about the weather is a great opener for any discussion too, and I've heard also the British love to talk about their weather in a spirited way which is a friendly conversation starter too.....and your UK weather IS really nice. Has your UK summer been better overall than last year's hot summer?

Is anyone keeping up with the the terrible fires in Maui? Very tragic. I've read that Hurricane Dora that was passing about 500 miles south of Hawaii with high winds reached Hawaii. The islands were already under a condition red with fire danger. Hawaii is not known for direct hit hurricanes because of their location in the Pacific, but they do have them.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Has your UK summer been better overall than last year's hot summer?
Given our mild summer weather, last years' 40C scorcher and this years' scorcher in southern Europe, I feel like we've dodged a bullet this year. I'd been dreading a repeat of last year and worse.

I feel for the people of Maui and anywhere else who are suffering with extreme weather.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Given our mild summer weather, last years' 40C scorcher and this years' scorcher in southern Europe, I feel like we've dodged a bullet this year. I'd been dreading a repeat of last year and worse.

I feel for the people of Maui and anywhere else who are suffering with extreme weather.

Me too....the weather and climate has just been on a different scale the past few years. Glad to hear your UK summer has been mild, yay!

TheURL

As Jeremy Clarkson once pointed out, the irony is that most of the time in the UK there really isn't any weather. It's not hot, it's not cold, it's not sunny, it's not particularly windy. Or foggy. It rarely snows much. It's just neutral, grey, mild and still - most of the time. How we can spend so much time discussing it is actually quite impressive.

live627

Anyone here in Southern California (go away with that SoCal shit—it ain't cute)? No? Okay then.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Average weather this morning, overcast and about the right temperature. Just right for the Women's World Cup Final. :)

Mars

Staff Member
Currently in Hades, a very steamy 109F, and no rain for almost two months now.
Doesn't sound like fun; at least you can keep windows open and get a bit of a draft? We sleep with the windows shut, as we can't risk our kitty jumping out of the window.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My favorite days are stormy rainy days ... just not the serious kind of storms with hail, high winds and tornadoes.😝

Mars

Staff Member
My favorite days are stormy rainy days ... just not the serious kind of storms with hail, high winds and tornadoes.😝
Yeah, same here, don't quite know why.....stormy and rainy, nice to be tucked in inside.
High winds is something else though! We don't have tornadoes here, but couple winters ago we had howling winds strong enough to uproot a staghorn sumac, and break some massive branches of our fig tree.
Had to call the tree surgeons to clear the damage.
I was distraught about the lovely sumac, thought it was a goner, but the tree guy told me part of the root was still there; shall he leave it or take it out? Leave it! says I. The tree is now flourishing; happy me.
I still love stormy weather.....

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yeah, same here, don't quite know why.....stormy and rainy, nice to be tucked in inside.
High winds is something else though! We don't have tornadoes here, but couple winters ago we had howling winds strong enough to uproot a staghorn sumac, and break some massive branches of our fig tree.
Had to call the tree surgeons to clear the damage.
I was distraught about the lovely sumac, thought it was a goner, but the tree guy told me part of the root was still there; shall he leave it or take it out? Leave it! says I. The tree is now flourishing; happy me.
I still love stormy weather.....

High gusty winds can be so damaging. I'm sorry you lost tree branches but your story has a happy ending that your sumac was saved and now growing wonderfully! We have a large oak tree, that despite all of the bad weather brought on to it and also being struck by lightening a few years ago it's still hanging in there. It's leaning quite a bit and I'm always wondering every spring if it's going to make it. So far, our tree grows great leaves and provides nice shade for my neighbors piano students. The tree is almost between both of our properties and my neighbor is very fond of this tree. We have a pact with each that if anything happens to it, we will mutually decide what to do with it.:)

Stormy weather is great, isn't it? There is something about it that's primal in a way and brings me back to a lot of mystery books I read when I was younger, as well as historical novel books. Both style of books always had rain storms, and snow storms or something would mysteriously happen on the beach like, Spindrift by Phyllis A Whitney.

1693004630170.jpeg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Our state broke a record in temperature for 8-24-23. I had to be out in it today, good grief! Temp was 110 F (43C) degrees. 🔥

Is anyone seeing signs of fall on it's way yet? 🍁🍂🍂🍁

Mars

Staff Member
High gusty winds can be so damaging. I'm sorry you lost tree branches but your story has a happy ending that your sumac was saved and now growing wonderfully! We have a large oak tree, that despite all of the bad weather brought on to it and also being struck by lightening a few years ago it's still hanging in there. It's leaning quite a bit and I'm always wondering every spring if it's going to make it. So far, our tree grows great leaves and provides nice shade for my neighbors piano students. The tree is almost between both of our properties and my neighbor is very fond of this tree. We have a pact with each that if anything happens to it, we will mutually decide what to do with it.:)

Stormy weather is great, isn't it? There is something about it that's primal in a way and brings me back to a lot of mystery books I read when I was younger, as well as historical novel books. Both style of books always had rain storms, and snow storms or something would mysteriously happen on the beach like, Spindrift by Phyllis A Whitney.

View attachment 1487
@Tiffany, oh I am so jealous; an oak tree in your garden. An oak tree is such marvelous habitat for animals and insects. I saw a prog recently about the Acorn woodpeckers, sweet things caching their acorns in myriad of little holes they bore in the trunk of mighty oaks.
Do you have any in your garden? I don't actually believe they do any real damage to the tree. Your tree is a survivor: struck by lightning but still standing, the King of Trees.
Lovely that you have such an understanding neighbour. Some people, they see a large tree, all they think is 'get rid of it'. Ignorants.
Oh yes, definitely something very primal about a storm. A storm is a force of nature unleashed.
No wonder in Greek and Roman mythology the king of the gods was also the god of thunder and lightning. Both these phenomena strike fear in the heart of man.....and rightly so.

Mars

Staff Member
Our state broke a record in temperature for 8-24-23. I had to be out in it today, good grief! Temp was 110 F (43C) degrees. 🔥

OMG Tiffany, 43C...
This temperature belongs in the high desert! I mean, Sidewinder country.

live627

In August? Come on! We have at least a month to go...
I will assume that this is Houston. Here's 100 years of records:

Aaand the record set in y2k was indeed broken assuming that the thermometer was not on a tarmac runway.

You and @Retro should both get yourselves outdoor thermometers right now.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Tiffany, oh I am so jealous; an oak tree in your garden. An oak tree is such marvelous habitat for animals and insects. I saw a prog recently about the Acorn woodpeckers, sweet things caching their acorns in myriad of little holes they bore in the trunk of mighty oaks.
Do you have any in your garden? I don't actually believe they do any real damage to the tree. Your tree is a survivor: struck by lightning but still standing, the King of Trees.
Lovely that you have such an understanding neighbour. Some people, they see a large tree, all they think is 'get rid of it'. Ignorants.
Oh yes, definitely something very primal about a storm. A storm is a force of nature unleashed.
No wonder in Greek and Roman mythology the king of the gods was also the god of thunder and lightning. Both these phenomena strike fear in the heart of man.....and rightly so.
Yes, my neighbor is a conservationist and her property has morphed into a complete ecosystem haven for any kind of wildlife.

Love storms and you are so right with mythology. Of course Thor would be the God of Thunder. :)

Well said!! 🦊 We do have woodpeckers and roadrunners. I always enjoy seeing the roadrunners when I'm leaving our little country enclave to drive into town. Woodpeckers are a bit of luck to see and there's the cardinals... saw one the other day when I looked out of my kitchen window. Hummingbirds are pretty amazing and so tiny. I've got one on video. I almost missed it but the best time for me to catch nature is when I take my dogs outside. I try to always have my phone because I never know what surprises I'll have waiting....just as long as it's not something too big and threatening that is. :oops:
OMG Tiffany, 43C...
This temperature belongs in the high desert! I mean, Sidewinder country.

Indeed....so ready for this heat dome to move on. We've been in it since early June. I can say I've seen too many sidewinders this summer including a copperhead in my garage. I'm just done with summer! 🤪
In August? Come on! We have at least a month to go...

I will assume that this is Houston. Here's 100 years of records:

Aaand the record set in y2k was indeed broken assuming that the thermometer was not on a tarmac runway.

You and @Retro should both get yourselves outdoor thermometers right now.

I mentioned changes in the season because members are from different countries and their weather may not coincide with our US seasons. :) I don't expect our state to see much fall until November this year where I would expect our severe fall storms will be more in November rather then October. September is still going to be blistering hot and October is going to have a hard time burning out this heat to let some precipitation in from the Gulf of Mexico.

Thank you for the link! 🥳 Great data to bring up for different states. I've book marked it for future reference. I'm not coastal, more inland where the heat can't be cooled by sea breezes. 🌊

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I thought the UK had dodged a heatwave this year, but no, it's coming next week, sigh. At least it's not 40C.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I thought the UK had dodged a heatwave this year, but no, it's coming next week, sigh. At least it's not 40C.

Love how this article summarized your overall UK summer experience in temps and precipitation. I didn't know that the UK had a hot June like most of us did in the US. Your expected temps this week at 30C (86F) is pretty warm considering you just ended your summer and now into your meteorological autumn.

She said: "We're now into the meteorological autumn, but it'll be more like summer next week, typically as the majority of schools return.

During your heat waves is it always muggy or do you ever have hot weather without the humidity?

Back
Top Bottom