The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
During your heat waves is it always muggy or do you ever have hot weather without the humidity?
It's almost always muggy. I think the reason for that might be because nowhere in the UK is one that far from the sea, although it may feel nowhere near.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's almost always muggy. I think the reason for that might be because nowhere in the UK is one that far from the sea, although it may feel nowhere near.
Makes sense with the proximity of the sea and water around the UK. Our summers can be either super dry or hot with high humidity, varies depending on if we are in an El Nino or La Nina. El Nino causes a lot of wind shear which keeps the Gulf of Mexico "somewhat" from the extra humidity reaching the northern parts of our state. El Nino in effect usually causes a much dryer summer. We haven't seen any rain since June, so in that case we have had more of a dry summer since maybe mid July. July and August has been brutal with the heat and so was my electric bill for August. The highest I've ever seen it. 😱

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That windshear must make airplane landings and takeoffs hazardous. I've seen what happens to them in Mayday (Aircrash Investigation in the UK).

Of course, since you've got aircon, it's gonna use electricity too, so the high bill stands to reason. Our energy bills our high too here in England, partly due to tory government corruption and partly due to the war in Ukraine.

At the moment, it's a warm, dry, sunny day here and I've got the windows open. Crucially, the temperature is just right, so it's warm and comfy with that nice summery feel, but without the uncomfortable heatwave. Got the small desk fan on too, for a little breeze.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That windshear must make airplane landings and takeoffs hazardous. I've seen what happens to them in Mayday (Aircrash Investigation in the UK).

Of course, since you've got aircon, it's gonna use electricity too, so the high bill stands to reason. Our energy bills our high too here in England, partly due to tory government corruption and partly due to the war in Ukraine.

At the moment, it's a warm, dry, sunny day here and I've got the windows open. Crucially, the temperature is just right, so it's warm and comfy with that nice summery feel, but without the uncomfortable heatwave. Got the small desk fan on too, for a little breeze.

Wind shear is a real challenge to aviation, indeed, which reminded me of the fatal flight of Delta 191 at DFW airport on August 2, 1985. A lot of changes were made to instrumentation and monitoring of wind shear from this crash.

Yes, we have aircon and it's sure has been running a lot this summer.

Glad your temp is just right and you have a breeze.

Mars

Staff Member
Yes, my neighbor is a conversationalist and her property has morphed into a complete ecosystem haven for any kind of wildlife.

Love storms and you are so right with mythology. Of course Thor would be the God of Thunder. :)

Well said!! 🦊 We do have woodpeckers and roadrunners. I always enjoy seeing the roadrunners when I'm leaving our little country enclave to drive into town. Woodpeckers are a bit of luck to see and there's the cardinals... saw one the other day when I looked out of my kitchen window. Hummingbirds are pretty amazing and so tiny. I've got one on video. I almost missed it but the best time for me to catch nature is when I take my dogs outside. I try to always have my phone because I never know what surprises I'll have waiting....just as long as it's not something too big and threatening that is. :oops:

Indeed....so ready for this heat dome to move on. We've been in it since early June. I can say I've seen too many sidewinders this summer including a copperhead in my garage. I'm just done with summer! 🤪

I mentioned changes in the season because members are from different countries and their weather may not coincide with our US seasons. :) I don't expect our state to see much fall until November this year where I would expect our severe fall storms will be more in November rather then October. September is still going to be blistering hot and October is going to have a hard time burning out this heat to let some precipitation in from the Gulf of Mexico.

Thank you for the link! 🥳 Great data to bring up for different states. I've book marked it for future reference. I'm not coastal, more inland where the heat can't be cooled by sea breezes. 🌊
You done it again Tiffany, making me jealous I mean....
You mention seeing woodpeckers, roadrunners, you mention seeing a humming bird....your little country enclave as you refer to it, sounds wonderful indeed.
As far as I am concerned I could watch a sidewinder the whole day and a copperhead in the garage sounds more then exotic!🐍 But then I am starry eyed about nature.
Here we don't even have an innocent grass snake.
Still my garden is full of lovely creatures. I dote on my sparrows and pigeons, mister fox comes regularly for lunch or dinner, and a sweet robin always comes to say hello and waits for his tidbits;
We are lucky to have Nature around us, aren't we🦄

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's heatwave central now, awful. Was 27C outside this afternoon and warm in my flat. Was nice to drive as I could turn on the aircon and it was nice and cool in the supermarket, too.

It's now showing 26C outside and it's bloody warm in the house as the bricks making up the building do their Economy 7 impression. The fan is what keeps it tolerable in here right now.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
You done it again Tiffany, making me jealous I mean....
You mention seeing woodpeckers, roadrunners, you mention seeing a humming bird....your little country enclave as you refer to it, sounds wonderful indeed.
As far as I am concerned I could watch a sidewinder the whole day and a copperhead in the garage sounds more then exotic!🐍 But then I am starry eyed about nature.
Here we don't even have an innocent grass snake.
Still my garden is full of lovely creatures. I dote on my sparrows and pigeons, mister fox comes regularly for lunch or dinner, and a sweet robin always comes to say hello and waits for his tidbits;
We are lucky to have Nature around us, aren't we🦄

Would love to see some foxes.🦊 You're so lucky. Nature is great and it's a joy to be able to take it in when you get an unexpected moment with a creature popping in your part of the world. I personally can do with out the venomous snakes though...lol.

It's heatwave central now, awful. Was 27C outside this afternoon and warm in my flat. Was nice to drive as I could turn on the aircon and it was nice and cool in the supermarket, too.

It's now showing 26C outside and it's bloody warm in the house as the bricks making up the building do their Economy 7 impression. The fan is what keeps it tolerable in here right now.

Glad you were able to get some relief and drive with some AC and have a fan going at home. That's pretty hot with high humidity. Here in the southern US, we are likely going to have our last week of 100F+ temps as September has a way of reworking the whole summer heat cycle and getting us back into the 90'sF temps at least. We do expect to have a warmer than average fall. 🍁🍂

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's been bloody hot today and that's set to continue, alas. At least it's not hitting 30C where I am.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It's been bloody hot today and that's set to continue, alas. At least it's not hitting 30C where I am.

Thank goodness this is temporary heat for the UK. Good article and loved reading your temperature history for September. Mid-September is peak hurricane season. There is so much activity in the Atlantic and now watching Hurricane Lee which will be a Cat 4. It's unknown yet if it will stay out to sea or move in towards the East coast. If it stays out at sea I can see where you might have more thunderstorms next week or so?

From your above link; caught this in the end of your article:
The first week of September has brought a change in weather patterns. As the Atlantic storm season cranks into gear, decaying storm systems in the mid-Atlantic have helped to buckle the jet stream to the north of the UK. This in turn has helped high pressure build over us and draw in warmer and more humid air.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I tell ya Tiffs, the damaging weather you guys get over there puts our moans about miserable weather here into perspective, doesn't it? It's like this in a lot of places around the world, in fact.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I tell ya Tiffs, the damaging weather you guys get over there puts our moans about miserable weather here into perspective, doesn't it? It's like this in a lot of places around the world, in fact.

I know right, I don't know what black cloud decided to park over the US, but it really needs to just disappear. The damaging weather has been off the charts...not normal at all. You're so right, too many countries are experiencing bizarre weather. I read an article the other day, and I was so astounded that the author literally went there claiming hurricanes and all of the bad weather was geoengineered. I was so happy to see every single person that blogged a reply told this author he was deranged. Good grief!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
31C again today, but it's cooled down more now than yesterday. Perhaps the heatwave is abating?

aussiefooty

It nearly snowed here yesterday.
It's not much warmer today.
But it's not raining and there is no wind.
Yesterday it was windy, freezing and wet and yes it nearly snowed.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'd prefer your weather anyday to this heatwave.

It's almost 3am here right now and uncomfortably hot as my home does its Economy 7 delayed heat release impression.

For anyone who doesn't know what Economy 7 is, it's a form of storage heating, where bricks inside the radiator are warmed up and then baffles opened later on to release the heat. It's nowhere near as good proper on-demand heating.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
And what's annoying is that if I went outside, it would be pleasantly balmy.

aussiefooty

Had our first lot of 20 degree weather! Decent weather to do loads of washing in and hang them outside

Back
Top Bottom