The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That is really cold weather. Just read your forecast article. Is snow very common this time of year or is this unusual?

We just had rain yesterday after not having rain for weeks. It was a good soaker rain. We will be dry and mild temps for another week and a half or until mid-December. Too soon to tell how cold it will get for the rest of December. January and early February are usually our coldest for winter.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Is snow very common this time of year or is this unusual?
No, it's not especially likely to snow. In fact, we have many recent winters with no snow at all and that have felt rather mild.

I can just see this cold winter giving the climate skeptic fools ammunition to say global warming isn't happening. :rolleyes:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The white house had a little bit of wind the other day that blew down the outside Christmas tree. Can you imagine what it took to get it put back together?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Our winter weather in the south of the US has been pretty mild up until yesterday. We had a pop-up severe storm that came through with the arctic air mass colliding with our warm air. It brought a lot of pea-sized hail that just wouldn't stop, ground to cloud lightening and heavy rain. Our temps will now get colder everyday through next Tuesday.

We are expecting a winter mix (ice and snow) on Sunday and Monday with temperatures as low as 7F (-13C). We are in preparation mode for loss of power for the fourth winter in a row to experience severe cold like this. I expected we would have some extreme weather over the next six weeks as we are in the height of winter.

I hope everyone's weather has stayed calm or at least what's expected for this time of year.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That's really severe weather. I don't like that loss of power Tiffs. Let's hope it doesn't come to pass.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Currently enjoying t-shirt weather in Southern California, in three days I return to UK where I understand snow and below freezing temperatures are forecast. Less than 100 hours.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That's really severe weather. I don't like that loss of power Tiffs. Let's hope it doesn't come to pass.

Thank you! The forecast keeps changing in the degree of icing and snow, so I'm hoping now we just have to get through Tuesday with mostly cold.

Currently enjoying t-shirt weather in Southern California, in three days I return to UK where I understand snow and below freezing temperatures are forecast. Less than 100 hours.

Geffers

Nice!! Glad you have all of that nice weather to enjoy during your holiday in California. Wishing you a safe travel back to the UK and maybe a bit of a warm up when you arrive back home.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro We did make it through without power loss. Today is the last day of concern to get through another near zero temp night, then the temps start getting back to a winter normal.

@Crims It is nice to see how the weather changes and affects others around the world.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Tiffs, it hit -3C in the middle of last night, really frosty. However, my place is well insulated and the central heating works well, hence I was nice and cozy thankfully, so I couldn't tell. When I went outside this morning though, it was a different story, wow.

It's showing 1C right now and I'll go out a bit later after rush hour to drive the car around a bit. Not driven it for three days now so I don't want a flat battery. Hope it's not too late already...

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
-3C (26F) is pretty cold, Ret. Hope your car starts. 🤞 I should probably start mine today, good reminder. Glad your place is warm, despite the cold.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
The world is an amazing place, see news reports of exceptionally low temperatures in Iowa on Monday, meanwhile California basks in warm Sun at the same time, same Country, completely different weather. I have no doubt places like Alaska may be even colder than Iowa, lot depends too on any winds.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The Scottish Highlands saw -14C last night!

It hit -2 where I was. This is turning out to be a very cold January.

I enjoyed watching the video of your weather forecast. I also looked up amber warning too.

Very cold temperatures for your week. Stay warm!!

The world is an amazing place, see news reports of exceptionally low temperatures in Iowa on Monday, meanwhile California basks in warm Sun at the same time, same Country, completely different weather. I have no doubt places like Alaska may be even colder than Iowa, lot depends too on any winds.

Geffers
It is, such a vast difference in weather with a few hundred miles between one area to another. Distance, topography, mountain ranges to prairie lands or closer to the sea, all have varied weather patterns. Makes it all fascinating. :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Very cold temperatures for your week. Stay warm!!
That's an understatement - at 6am now, it's -5 outside! Thankfully, I'm nice and cosy inside, without power cuts or anything. Here's a screenshot from the Windows system tray on my PC:

1705557542978.png

live627

Been raining on and off all day today here. What can I say—the weather here has been doing the same as it always has every year down to the warmups and cooler weeks like clockwork. An article recently surfaced about it being 74℉ and how bad because of climate change... when you have the memory of a goldfish, you forget that it always warms up here in mid January.

Problem with overcast days is that we must turn on the lights mid day. Bummer. More sun, please. Clouds make things too blue, dull, and sad.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
We have finally warmed up a bit except for some rain since Sunday. The rain will meander along until tomorrow. @Retro, I hope the UK has a warm up soon.

@live627 I know what you mean about turning more lights on. I'm trying something new and I now have a therapy light at my desk. It seems to be helping with needed "happy" light and just overall more light in this dark corner where my desk is off of my kitchen.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Southern California was hammered Monday into Tuesday with torrential rain, think the massive hills in Cali cause the issues as anyone at the lower end of the hills get flooded. Oddly too night time temperatures in Southern California are currently lower than Southern UK (North always cold). Of course Californian daytime temperatures do climb to equivalent of many UK summer days.

Geffers

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Wow, lots of rain for California, they really need it though, just not too much at once with the flooding issues.🫣

Interesting the differences between temperatures of the southern UK versus southern Cali at the same time. Cali has some of the most versatile temperature variations through out the whole state. The northern part of Cali is full of trees, mountains and more moisture, much cooler temperatures with snow, while the southern part of Cali is almost desert like, with some areas that maintain moderate temperatures all year, like San Diego, then other cities like LA can be stifling warm and humid.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Spring is almost upon us. We had extremely cold weather the first couple of weeks in January and after that just mild temperatures during the day and some cold nights; very little rain. We are already feeling like spring and the pollen is severe right now which means we are getting an early start on spring with the warm temperatures we already are having.

I hope everyone is having mild weather now in anticipation of spring blooms and grassy pastures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom