The official NerdZoner's weather zone! How's your weather today?

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Yes, this storm was indeed different. Animals are amazing and so fun to watch and observe. I have a wildlife camera outside now and I've captured some amazing pics of all animal species that live in my pseudo country including some amazing coyote pictures. It's about time to retrieve the camera again and see what I've captured. I've added get "animal pics" organized and share to my to do list. It will likely be awhile before I can really get to it, as the next few weeks are just stacked for me, including the closet mayhem I've created for myself that I have to have all done by next Thursday. o_O What was I thinking in redoing these closets? Actually, it involves setting up a better office environment for me too....it all had to be done to make it work.😝

My little Champy is right behind my on my chair....he's a little fluff ball and he's actually the one dog I can flip on his back and he will just ragdoll and look cute. Snowy, I can't hardly get him to turn on his back, he totally freaks out, same for Gidget. Which by the way, it's Gidget's birthday today. She's two years old. 🥳

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Happy to...I have a lot of sorting and viewing to get these pics organized for easy sharing. It will be a bit of a project, but I've needed to do this for awhile. :)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
March and the first week of April were pretty weather crazy as spring was emerging. Our weather has been pretty quiet the past two weeks except for some scattered thunderstorms, but nothing threatening.

Is everyone's spring weather staying nice?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Spring is ok right now. No mad weather and temperatures slowly increasing overall.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'm glad your weather is stable and so nice. We have another round of storms coming through Thursday, otherwise it's been pretty quiet this past week; cool nights and warmer days each week now.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Our southern US weather has calmed down a lot as spring has mostly left us and we are now into summer. June is already expected to be a hotter than normal month. We will be reaching 100 F (37.7 C) by next week. 🔥

I hope this summer is not like last summer for everyone. It was unbearable.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Excellent! Exactly as expected during the dry season before the monsoon.

Have you noticed any trends that would indicate you might have an above average active monsoon season? If you do, I can add to it, that in the south, for June, it shouldn't be this hot already. I'm not sure if we are breaking records yet but it wouldn't surprise me.

We are experiencing an Omega Block right now which is putting the south in an intensely hot phase of high pressure.

live627

Well, the monsoon season these last two years were quite active, gave "old timers" (those who lived here for a decade) a real treat. Also, because of the extra rainfall over the winter, flood warnings are still in effect due to dam release. Monsoon season usually kicks off mid June.

From ADOT:
Arizona's monsoon season begins in June and continues through September. With it comes higher humidity, which can lead to thunderstorms, heavy rain, lightning, hail, high winds, flash flooding, dust storms and extreme heat

Basic Monsoon Information
Let's start off with some general information about monsoon season in northern Arizona:
  • Officially runs from June 15th to September 30th
  • However, in northern Arizona, monsoonal moisture typically does not reach the region until the first week of July
  • Many different factors throughout the spring and early summer influence when exactly it begins each year
  • Much of the area receives 40-50% of it's annual precipitation during monsoon season
  • This rainfall is especially important to help replenish reservoirs in the area, along with local farming in the area
  • Rainfall during these months is not continuous, but comes most days in the form of afternoon and evening thunderstorms
  • It is incorrect to call one single thunderstorm a "monsoon", instead it is a large-scale weather pattern that causes these thunderstorms

What Exactly Is The Monsoon?
The term "monsoon" describes large-scale wind shifts that transport moist tropical air to dry desert locations, such as the southwestern United States.
We are experiencing an Omega Block right now which is putting the south in an intensely hot phase of high pressure.
Arizona is a bit west of where the Omega Block sits so weather has been quite normal and uneventful, with temperatures tracking the average here in Phoenix.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Well, the monsoon season these last two years were quite active, gave "old timers" (those who lived here for a decade) a real treat. Also, because of the extra rainfall over the winter, flood warnings are still in effect due to dam release. Monsoon season usually kicks off mid June.

From ADOT:

Arizona is a bit west of where the Omega Block sits so weather has been quite normal and uneventful, with temperatures tracking the average here in Phoenix.

I can see how an extra active monsoon season would be a treat for Arizonians. So, yeah, you are about to start your monsoon season. We have effectively started our hurricane season as of June 1st, and NOAA predicts a near normal hurricane season. We usually do well in the south when there's an El Nino in effect because there is so much wind shear through the Caribbean that hurricanes have a hard time thriving well enough to get into the Gulf of Mexico.

Glad your weather is normal and predictable right now. We are getting tropical like mini thunderstorms late in the day. That all will stop soon once the heat takes over, burns out the humidity and then we will get droughty for most of the summer.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Alas, it's heatwave time again this weekend, peaking at 29-30c. Really not looking forward to it. :( As I write this, the temperature is just right inside my home and I so wish it would stay like this. It was a bit on the warm side this afternoon though.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Alas, it's heatwave time again this weekend, peaking at 29-30c. Really not looking forward to it. :( As I write this, the temperature is just right inside my home and I so wish it would stay like this. It was a bit on the warm side this afternoon though.

Good article update on your weather. I enjoyed watching the video too on your expected weather over the next few days. *I'm a weather nerd, what can I say? 🤓

Hope it doesn't get too hot in the UK and your house stays comfortable. We have storms coming in this Saturday.

live627

This is for all y'all weather weenies out there

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This is for all y'all weather weenies out there

OMG....watched the whole video and was transfixed....lol...I subscribed. I know I'm a true weather weenie, though I will also take the name Weather Goddess...lol...or Barbara Jeans (actress Melissa Peterman) name in the show Reba as Stormy Clear Weather. :geek:

Seriously, great video and really the explanations of our weather pattern that I love to know about. Weather Underground used to have their Category 6 that I enjoyed reading. I've missed all of that detail. I added your video to my Weather Group on Friend's Realm with credit to NZ.

We do have bad weather coming in this afternoon and just looked after watching your video that we have storms expected everyday through next Sunday. Now I know why with the Omega Block breaking down along with the Gulf moisture creating havoc at the low jet stream, which I thought was weird for this time of year and now I understand why, thanks to your video. Indeed an unusual pattern in June's weather for the south. We usually have mild weather, not much rain and it starts getting heated up for our hot July and August.

Thank you for adding this fun and informative video @live27!

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
And now the thunderstorms are due to say hello:

Good weather reporting from Simon King of the BBC. It was interesting that the UK was in a high pressure zone, yet expecting all of that rain? It must be your location to the Atlantic that has that effect? A bit muggy at 27C with all of that humidity and rain....and did I hear "hail" too? Hope the temp is tolerable and I really didn't hear hail.

Our expected storms went really south of the metroplex (Dallas/Fort Worth is regarded as the "metroplex" of North Texas) yesterday. We didn't get any storms. Actually, pretty happy about that as our Gidget has become super intolerant with the storms and it's all hands on deck to help her stay her calm.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
We've had 30C weather for the last 4 days and finally we have that big thunderstorm with torrential rain to cool everything down. Seriously, it feels a bit like someone's turned on the aircon! Should be much more pleasant tonight. There's no flooding or other calamity round my way, either.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro lol on your article coming out after your thunderstorms have passed. Hope your storms turned out to be mild rather than damaging.

@aussiefooty Is that 10C or F? Either way that's cold, stay warm!

We've had thunderstorms everyday since the Omega Block lifted. Too much energy and humidity coming from the Gulf of Mexico and the low jet stream. More storms coming today and tonight and then we will be quiet probably for the rest of the month.

aussiefooty

@Retro lol on your article coming out after your thunderstorms have passed. Hope your storms turned out to be mild rather than damaging.

@aussiefooty Is that 10C or F? Either way that's cold, stay warm!

We've had thunderstorms everyday since the Omega Block lifted. Too much energy and humidity coming from the Gulf of Mexico and the low jet stream. More storms coming today and tonight and then we will be quiet probably for the rest of the month.
10C
We get storms mainly in the warmer months.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yeah, it didn't actually last very long and no damage even though torrential rain. If anything, it made for a great car wash! It was really grubby and had those funny leaves that shed off some trees stuck to it and general stickiness from that tree. Now it's all come clean off and I didn't have to take it to the car wash! :ROFLMAO:

live627

here's a British American on this very subject xD

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
here's a British American on this very subject xD

Well done....lol. I enjoyed the video, the weather history and the sense of humor!:geek:

Back
Top Bottom