[UPDATED] The 12VHPWR cable is DANGEROUS! But NVIDIA doesn't agree...

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
If you have an RTX 4090 and your power cable starts smoking and burning up where it connects to the card, then this could be the reason why. This has the potential to start a fire, so the takeaway, is to be really careful not to bend the cable too close to the connector and be sure as possible that there's no physical damage anywhere. Full explanation in the video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

UPDATE: JayzTwoCents tests the connector under extreme conditions to try and induce failure.

live627

I watched it yesterday

That's a SCARY amount of power. But ii won't ever matter to me because I'll never be able to afford one.

Still rocking a Radeon HD 5850.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Wow, what's that, a decade old or so? Great to see that older hardware can still be good enough.

The top end new stuff, is now way overboard on price, power and space requirements. Annoying, because I like buying top end.

live627

2009. It's so old that Windows 10 cannot find drivers for it.

I used to use a Radeon HD 7950, but I messed it up somehow because it can no longer drive high resolutions (it shows me the bios and the windows loading screen, but then peaces out for the login screen)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Wow, in that year, I upgraded from a HD 4870 to a GTX 285 and have been buying NVIDIA ever since.

Sorry to hear about yours. They don't last forever.

live627

I did get a RX 580 off ebay about five years ago but never used it because it was taller than double height and thus couldn't fit. Ended up reselling it at 100% profit.

live627

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Nice one, beat me to it. :) Gonna give it a watch in a bit.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Another update: more melting connectors and rumour has it that NVIDIA has acknowledged the problem and is in the process of redesigning the connector. I can just see a massive recall on the way. Can't say I feel sorry for them though. Even just looking at that connector, it looks too tiny to carry all that current and power, so no wonder it melts in some instances.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
There has been so much written about and so many videos made, about the melting power connectors on NVIDIA's high end graphics cards now that it's obvious that it's a design issue, so I'm not at all surprised that a second version of the connector is coming out. Let's hope this new version puts this issue to rest once and for all.

There's no videos from JayzTwoCents or Gamers Nexus yet.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This video shows how NVIDIA messed up badly here, but don't want to recall their cards. Also, I'm surprised at Gamers Nexus blaming a lot of it on "user error", when this is clearly a design fault. They're normally spot on with their analyses. NorthridgeFix's criticisms here are clearly right and he's got the evidence to prove it, too.

Bear in mind however, that this video was released on 21.05.23, so there might well be updates since then. Also, I believe NVIDIA are releasing a revised version of this connector for the 50 series cards, but still not recalling the 40 series. There really should be a class action lawsuit against this. Think, two grand for a graphics card is extortionate money, only for it to have a pathetic problem like this that the mfr leaves you out in the cold about? That's fraud, surely? I wouldn't buy it for this reason alone.

Back
Top Bottom