Bank staff defy customers to prevent £55m of fraud in 2022

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
A good news story in the world of fraud for once.

Bank and building society staff helped save customers from losing tens of millions of pounds to fraud last year.

By using what's called the Banking Protocol staff are allowed, in very specific circumstances, to go against customers' wishes if they believe a transaction looks suspicious.

The emergency procedure was used 11,643 times in 2022.

Of those, transactions worth £55m were deemed to be fraudulent by police and staff, UK Finance said.

This led to nearly 200 arrests.

In total the protocol has saved £258m since it was introduced in 2017, according to UK Finance, the trade body for the banking industry.

Mars

Staff Member
A good news story in the world of fraud for once.

Good news indeed. Believe it or not, there are those customers who defy bank warning, go ahead regardless, and lose!
I have in mind an unbelievable story we saw on Ripoff Britain; about that woman who refused point blank to listen to bank and police warning, that she is being scammed.
Police have actually visited her home twice, to warn her, but nope, the retard would not listen.

She went ahead to lose over 1/2 a million pounds. You read it correctly, over £500,000!
You have to hear it to believe it. If this is not the apex of denseness, I do not know what is.

This is a real story; you see her on the program, goes around warning people to please not fall prey to scammers.

I can only surmise that she was paid by the program for her story to be aired and for her appearing in it.
Otherwise the mind boggles why she would allow it, let alone appear in person, and tell us in great details just how exactly she was scammed😳. I mean, she has neighbours, people that know what she looks like, now everybody knows. Talking about exposing yourself to ridicule...

I still find it hard to believe.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
That woman deserved everything she got. I don't have any sympathy for rank stupidity like that.

Mars

Staff Member
That woman deserved everything she got. I don't have any sympathy for rank stupidity like that.
Oh yes, I did not feel sorry for her at the least. I have no time for cretins who bring it upon themselves. Nowadays you have to live under a rock not to know what goes on with scamming and stuff, I mean you do not have to be savvy, you just have to have your head screwed on properly.

Back
Top Bottom