Delusional Boris Johnson wants to return as PM

Arantor

We’re at the stage where returning to Johnson feels like it would be an improvement.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Arantor

Boris still has popularity amongst the Tory voter base. Rapidly this is growing in proportion to Truss.

I find it interesting how there are 550,000 signatures on a petition for “let’s have a general election” and #GeneralElectionNow is trending on Twitter for the second day running but that’s not happening.

I hate to say it but I am beginning to feel like this country is that meme image of a person on a bicycle, that inserts a stick into the front wheel and is thrown off, lying on the floor in pain somehow wondering how this all happened.

The worst part is the number of people who seem so confused that “we didn’t vote for this”… no, you didn’t, but you got *exactly* what you voted for: a group of cynical greedy manipulators who will sell us all out for their own profit, while going “but it would be so much worse if that Corbyn was in power”. I find it tragically ironic that they were going “Corbyn is going to drag us back to the 1970s” but the Tories are doing that all by themselves, see the plans for rolling blackouts over the winter to preserve energy supplies.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Well, he didn't, declining to enter the race, thankfully.

At the time of writing, the deadline for nominations is still in the future at 14:00 today, with Sunak the front runner by a big margin.

I fear that he will be harder to defeat by Labour though, potentially winning the next election if he leads the tory party well. All this chaos and destruction of and by the tory party that we've been seeing recently has been great for Labour's ratings. We need more of it, but with less damage to the country.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I suppose, Johnson had a clear headed moment or did he? :unsure: I always get suspicious 🙃

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
When it comes to Johnson be suspicious, always.

Check out this analysis by Phil Moorhouse of what Johnson really meant.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Arantor

It seemed fairly clear to me that even if he had the 100 nominations - which I don't believe - he was smart enough to realise that going up against Sunak in a vote wouldn't work out, for, interestingly, the exact reason he outlined. Boris is not stupid, and knows that joining the fray at this point in time would have had the consequences that he would have won the votes from the members but his party would have stabbed him in the back, again.

It's too soon. Give Sunak a while in the job, let the Tory fanbase expose their vile racism for what they are (yes, see the call into LBC this week from a Tory member who suggested that Sunak shouldn't be PM because he's not British, aka not white enough), let the storm brew and when they come for Sunak, and they will, Boris will leap to the fore again, suitably contrite, suitably Boris 2.0 as Zawahi called it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Arantor that's a very plausible outcome for Boris, even though I don't claim to know British politics, that's just about what American politicians would do too!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
(yes, see the call into LBC this week from a Tory member who suggested that Sunak shouldn't be PM because he's not British, aka not white enough)

This is that video. While his attitude betrayed racism, he also had a few unpleasant home truths about white tory supporters in general. For example, he said that they would prefer a "prime minister who is like them", ie not of colour. He's right and if that isn't racism, then I don't know what is.

I've always seen the tories as the nasty, racist party, even though they're not exclusively white nowadays. Heck, even Priti Patel, an Indian woman, seemed to be biased against people from the same ethnic background as her when it came to immigration. Unbelievable.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Arantor

Well, you're then waiting for the good folks of Somerset to vote him out.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I hope they do, but know it's unlikely. I'd love him to get pushed out in a cloud of scandal. Would be epic, but again, unlikely.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Good find, Crims. This is the caring, sharing tories at work...

Arantor

Oh, they care, they share. They care to ensure them and their mates are the ones sharing the money at the end of the day.

Arantor

Apparently Big Dog is going to COP27 - when Sunak and Charles III aren't. This is not going to end well for someone.

(Other folks in the govt are going, but not the big man himself, on the claim that he has a domestic emergency to be at first, ditto the king. The king has likely been talked out of going to not rub it in to Liz Truss any further.)

Arantor

Well, to add insult to injury it turns out Liz Truss's phone may just have been heavily compromised by the Russians, so who knows what this will mean for the whole sorry saga.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh hell no. I can just see him winning too and then we're all really stuffed.

That inquiry into his parliamentary lies has to happen and find him guilty which would force him out of politics once and for all. Unfortunately, I feel pessimistic that corruption will ensure that nothing comes of it. Time will tell.

Crims

Wethermon
Oh hell no. I can just see him winning too and then we're all really stuffed.

That inquiry into his parliamentary lies has to happen and find him guilty which would force him out of politics once and for all. Unfortunately, I feel pessimistic that corruption will ensure that nothing comes of it. Time will tell.

As he doesn't even live in his borough it's looking increasingly unlikely.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I sure hope you're right. He'd be a disaster all over again.

Arantor

It’s not uncommon to parachute such candidates into “safe” seats. This is how Boris got the Uxbridge and Ruislip South seat in 2015 after it turned Tory in 2010.

A surprising amount of the Tory member base would like him back as they feel he speaks for them more than Sunak or Truss ever did. And of course, “he’s an election winner”.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Nah, Johnson's not getting back in. He's got the parliamentary committee investigation on his back, too.

I wonder if it's his arch nemesis, Dominic Cummings, who leaked the latest scandalous details. I doubt we'll ever know.

Arantor

Well, I'm hearing that the witnesses in Partygate have had their names passed to Johnson in a completely predictable but highly inappropriate move. They will inevitably be less inclined to testify.

Sunak's polling pretty badly right now. If he doesn't appease the masses soon and turn the polling for the Tories around, they'll come for him too.

Back
Top Bottom