Dynamic IP address to Domain

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Most users have a dynamic IP address allocated by their internet provider.

noip.com will map a permanent name to a changing IP address making it easier to connect to home computer from outside. They have a number of domains to use and you just provide some prefix to the domain to make it personal. Can have up to three on the free account plus they will also offer one free CA certificate on one of them.

Useful if your home computer runs any servers.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I remember that. I used to use dyndns with IPCop back in the day when dyndns had a free version. Nowadays I've got a static IP anyway, so I don't need it anymore. Millions of people are still on dynamic though.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Appreciate static IP is preferred by gamers but is there any great advantage? Is a fixed IP more or less of a security issue? I am not sure.

I know most routers won't allow any incoming unless related to an outgoing request, plus many have Firewalls if you want added protection. Trouble is one can get paranoid, I recall ZoneAlarm on Windows, once I started using it almost felt vulnerable if it wasn't installed.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I actually prefer a dynamic IP for my home internet connection as otherwise an IP ban would be very effective against me, forcing me to use a VPN for accessing that site from then on. Thankfully, in all the years I've had a static IP I've not been banned so it remains a small risk and nothing more. Also, a dynamic IP is that bit more anonymising and harder to profile.

The only exception for me to want a static IP is if I was to run a web server off my home internet connection, which isn't happening with mine. If I had a fast connection, I could have run this site using a powerful server* that I own, not the cheap one I rent to save costs.

A hosting service still has advantages when it come to availability / failover and related things though, but as a techy project, nothing beats running your own hardware and mini datacentre.

*A basic quad core PC with 8GB RAM and lots of storage would qualify as "high spec" for a web server.

Back
Top Bottom