Gas stoves to be banned in America?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I knew that they release carbon monoxide and use up oxygen since it's a flame, hence must always be used with an open window, but, did you know that these things give kids asthma? Potentially lifelong asthma, too? For this reason, America is looking to ban them. Electric stoves don't have this problem.

I wonder if they're also gonna get banned in Europe and perhaps worldwide over time. I can't see it happening anytime soon though due to the massive installed base. Perhaps over 20 years or so.

In the final days of 2022, while most people were busy with Christmas and New Year’s, a concerning new study came out. The study, published in the peer-reviewed International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health concluded that the health implications of gas cooking are largely unrecognized and that, among other things, gas stoves are responsible for 12.7% of childhood asthma cases.

As surprising as this may seem, it’s not the first study to cast doubt on the health standards of gas stoves. The damage they cause is so pervasive that the US Consumer Product Safety (USCPS) is now considering a ban on them.

gas stove.jpg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Obviously, I wouldn't wish any harm on anyone with asthma, however, I'm still of the mind set that our world is better served by offering more than one option for an energy resource. When you only use one, then there's a greater demand on that one resource (electricity) and people now get under served, especially during high use periods such as with winter storms or hot summers. Using gas is efficient. I haven't followed this too closely yet, but my first reaction was an eye roll (and I don't mean any disrespect), it's because I understand the energy industry better then the average bear and I see how this will affect producers and consumers seriously. I'm okay with change if it makes sense and it's done gradually over time and it's a sound practice for the change....just to change because you want your party to stand out on their platform, isn't good enough for me. Sorry, that's a bit unfiltered....I totally mean my comments in the nicest constructive way.:)

Uncrowned

As someone who still deaks with week+ power outages due to blizzards and storms, I would really miss my gas stove. Plus it costs less money for me to run my gas heat, gas stove, gas water heater, and gas TV in freezing temperatures than just running a single electric appliance as gas is dirt cheap and our electricity is insane.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Uncrowned .....my concern totally....gas is efficient, cost effective and reliable during the worst weather conditions. The savings of an all gas home (or hybrid) is exceptional, compared to an all electric home. Our home is all electric with the exception of a gas fireplace. Our electric bill is awful because of the cost alone in heating and cooling. You can add a heat pump to your condensing unit, but that still won't match the savings of gas.

Uncrowned

@Uncrowned .....my concern totally....gas is efficient, cost effective and reliable during the worst weather conditions. The savings of an all gas home (or hybrid) is exceptional, compared to an all electric home. Our home is all electric with the exception of a gas fireplace. Our electric bill is awful because of the cost alone in heating and cooling. You can add a heat pump to your condensing unit, but that still won't match the savings of gas.
Ya, my electricity is always 2 to 4 times higher than my gas. We are also getting another big bump in electric costs here soon. It is funny as my gas line charges a $40 "access fee" to be connected to the line and I have yet to cross $90 on my monthly gas bill (even during our single-digit cold December). My Electric has never been below $200 since COVID happened and now averages around $300 in winter right now.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Ya, my electricity is always 2 to 4 times higher than my gas. We are also getting another big bump in electric costs here soon. It is funny as my gas line charges a $40 "access fee" to be connected to the line and I have yet to cross $90 on my monthly gas bill (even during our single-digit cold December). My Electric has never been below $200 since COVID happened and now averages around $300 in winter right now.
Very frustrating to be paying so much in electric and the gas fee...OMG, $40 is a lot.... trying not to get triggered here. We used to pay a $7.00 fee a month just to have the privilege of having gas....which we rarely used until these past two winters. Now the fee is $17.00 per month....which still isn't that much, but when you have been paying $7.00 for twelve years and now it's suddenly $17.00, there's some expletives that roam in my head when I look at an increase like this. We lost power in both of our February winter storms, the only source of heat we had was from our fireplace. It was painful. So, yes, I'll keep gas, and yes, I wish our water heaters and HVAC were on gas too for the sake of savings. I do get the argument for not "over-using our natural resources", but I'm not sure this is the time to continue to cripple American's, Europeans and other countries with the magnitude of costs we are incurring. My highest electrical bills now since covid, horrible. I'm sorry you have had such high power costs.

Back
Top Bottom