Lithium-ion batteries have a memory effect too

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Lithium-ion batteries are widely believed to have no memory effect and I've certainly not noticed it on my smartphones and laptops. However, this research, from 2013 no less, so this isn't even new, shows that's not the case, it's just less obvious and shows up more on electric cars.

Due to their high energy density, lithium-ion batteries are used in many commercial electronic appliances. They are also believed to exhibit no memory effect. That’s how experts call a deviation in the voltage of the battery that can limit the usability of the stored energy as well as the ability to determine the state of charge of the battery reliably. Scientists have now however discovered a memory effect in a lithium-ion battery. This finding is particularly relevant for the use of lithium-ion batteries in the electric vehicle market.

Nerd level: high.

Li_ion_laptop_battery.jpg

Arantor

I’ve certainly seen the memory effect over the last ten years - devices that used to get through the day start to not get through the day because of the poor battery hygiene they’re treated to.

Interestingly my laptop ships with a tool that keeps the battery between 50%-60% charge by default to curtail the memory effect.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ok, that's a new one for me about the laptop. Not seen that kind of battery management on laptops.

It might help to explain why my work laptop tends to charge its battery to 95% a lot of the time, but if I get lucky, then 100%.

Arantor

To be fair, it wasn’t a cheap laptop - MSI GE76 Raider - with 6 physical cores (12 virtual), a mobile nVidia RTX GPU and a decent amount of RAM. Would have preferred more SSD space but at some point I’ll get round to fixing that.

It ships with toys for customising the backlit keyboard, the coloured bar on the front and the “Dragon Center” where you can fiddle with things like power management.

Back
Top Bottom