Mediterranean diet could cut dementia risk by 25%

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
All the healthy stuff basically and none of the stuff you'd actually like to eat. I wouldn't mind doing it, if it was more practical to do so.

A major new study suggests that one particular diet could make you far less likely to develop dementia.
“We found that the individuals whose diets more closely matched the features of a Mediterranean diet had a much lower risk of developing dementia,” says Dr Oliver Shannon, a lead author of the study and a lecturer in nutrition and ageing at Newcastle University. “On average, people who had a high (compared to low) adherence to a Mediterranean diet had about a 23% lower risk of developing dementia.”

Even those who have a higher chance of developing the condition because of their genetic risk could benefit by roughly the same rate, the researchers found.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Me? No.

It's just an interesting fact about the reduction in dementia risk that someone might be interested in, is all.

live627

I'm guessing that controlling the daily glucose roller coaster that the modern Western diet causes will help in controlling dementia. The Glucose Goddess shares some easy tips for how to do this. I've watched some interviews lately; she distills the scientific papers on this topic into simple actionable concepts.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, glucose control is critical. If you could please post something from her, I'd be very interested.

aussiefooty

I don't trust these so called studies.
For me a Mediteraninan diet would be harmful.
It's way too spicy for me in the first place.
I'd be getting the runs after all that spicy food.

So no thanks.

aussiefooty

Indeed, glucose control is critical. If you could please post something from her, I'd be very interested.
You should be looking at balance diets.
Dementia is an incurable disease that is genetic.
Stop looking at sugarfree and other rubbish diets.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I don't trust these so called studies.
For me a Mediteraninan diet would be harmful.
It's way too spicy for me in the first place.
I'd be getting the runs after all that spicy food.

So no thanks.

It isn't spicey. You're thinking of something like an Indian diet which is spicey and full of salt - very unhealthy. A med diet is about having fruit and veg and a little meat. If you look at the article I linked to, you'll see a typical med diet there and there's nothing spicey in it.

You should be looking at balance diets.
Dementia is an incurable disease that is genetic.
Stop looking at sugarfree and other rubbish diets.
Indeed, I do look at a balanced diet. It's also true that the best amount of sugar in the diet is zero, so should be reduced as much as possible when it comes to refined sugar in all its forms... and no, that doesn't mean replacing it with that fake artificial sweetener which can be even more harmful, but cutting out refined sugary foods altogether, or as near as possible. Can we agree on this?

Sugar from fruit is generally safe to eat as it's bound up in the fibre, but again don't eat too much of them at once, or they'll still cause a spike, albeit a smaller one.

Back
Top Bottom