So, money *can* actually buy happiness after all, who knew?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Funny how it's always the wealthy people who try convince the less well off that money won't buy them happiness, isn't it? We all know that's bunk, but now a scientific study has proved the obvious.

A recent experiment suggests that money can indeed buy happiness — at least for six months, among households making up to $123,000 a year.

Check out this article and then give away all your money as it's clearly not making you happy.

Arizona

Of course, even with enough to live comfortably, "more is not enough" is an American/Western way of living -- arguably a "cultural disease" fostering "excessive consumption" that is bad for the planet.

Last edited:

Arantor

So we're a bit above the bracket of $123k but $10k is still a meaningful enough amount that if you were to give it to us we'd use it to improve our lives and wellbeing over that six months, for sure.

It's not so vast it's unrelatable, and it's not enough for us to do something investmenty with it - which will be the considerations both above and below.

Arizona

On the more comical side, I read of a billionaire who was unhappily accusing his wife of overusing / overspending on toilet paper.

Last edited:

Mars

Staff Member
Funny how it's always the wealthy people who try convince the less well off that money won't buy them happiness, isn't it? We all know that's bunk, but now a scientific study has proved the obvious.

Check out this article and then give away all your money as it's clearly not making you happy.

I can't believe this 'research'; Wot? 10 grand in the bank, out of the blue, makes you happy? Nah, can't be.

I actually find this type of poxy research, experiment, call it what you like, very irritating. Are they taking the piss or what??? They forever keep re-inventing the wheel or discovering America.

Next they are going to do research and come up with the earth shattering proof that the earth is actually NOT flat!
And just how are they going to prove it? Simple: start at point A, go in a straight line over deserts oceans and mountains, only to finally end up at point A again!! There you have it; proof positive that the earth is NOT flat, as they are still here (damn it) and have not fallen off the edge.

Arantor

On the more comical side, I read of a billionaire who was unhappily accusing his wife of overusing / overspending on toilet paper.
Not that surprising. The richer you are the more you get towards a) coveting more and b) jealously worrying about spending less/others spending for you.

Crims

Wethermon
I can't believe this 'research'; Wot? 10 grand in the bank, out of the blue, makes you happy? Nah, can't be.
It does seem like a laundering scam. If you ignore the main article topic, that wage over £100-110k makes you the most happy with the least diminishing return, then it's like, "Well yeah, you gave them 10000."

Mars

Staff Member
Of course, even with enough to live comfortably, "more is not enough" is an American/Western way of living -- arguably a "cultural disease" fostering "excessive consumption" that is bad for the planet.
I agree, it seems that some people never have enough. I think, because the wealthy know how good it is to have money to burn, they want more and more of it.
Just enough to be comfortable and have no monetary worries-aka Bliss-is not enough for them. No. they want to actually wallow in the stuff.

Mars

Staff Member
It does seem like a laundering scam. If you ignore the main article topic, that wage over £100-110k makes you the most happy with the least diminishing return, then it's like, "Well yeah, you gave them 10000."
you never know...

Crims

Wethermon
I'm usually frugal. My enjoyment comes from big and small pleasures that I hold more dearly, probably more than the rich, and is much more outward.
I agree, it seems that some people never have enough. I think, because the wealthy know how good it is to have money to burn, they want more and more of it.
Just enough to be comfortable and have no monetary worries-aka Bliss-is not enough for them. No. they want to actually wallow in the stuff.
I'm not a believer in money being a thing to waste but well I despise that attitude. Rich people never truly earn it so you could call it a system that rewards caveman ideology.

Last edited:

Mars

Staff Member
I'm usually frugal. My enjoyment comes from big and small pleasures that I hold more dearly, probably more than the rich, and is much more outward.

I'm not a believer in money being a thing to waste but well I despise that attitude. Rich people never truly earn it so you could call it a system that rewards caveman ideology.
The way I see it, to have no money and be in perpetual debt is grim. On the other hand, you do not have to be wealthy in order to live in comfort. Thing is, we all have different needs and different perceptions on what is a necessity and what is not; what inspires us, and what leaves us indifferent.
What I like and enjoy, may not be to someone elses taste and vice versa, and there is nothing wrong with that. We are all different.
The problem is that some folks try to live a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget. This will never work.

Arantor

I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I have pity for the rich people. I know a few - as in, am on first name terns with people who are multi-millionaires. They fret so much about money, far far more than I ever did. It actively makes them unhappy to keep trying to make more, while at the same time fretting over what will happen to others.

To put it into some context, one of these folks was asked by their son for a loan - not even a gift - of £10k to be repaid over the next 5 years, interest free. Sort of like a down payment on inheritance, just to bootstrap something they were doing. Said person could afford it, I happen to know they have north of £100k hoarded in cash around their place because they don’t trust the banks.

They could do this right now and literally not notice they’d done it, but they were fretting about what if it didn’t work out and something about the money ending up with the parents of the girlfriend who ”wasn’t good enough for my son” (translation: she’s not a multimillionaire and neither are the family). In the end the son just said not to bother and that he’d rather get it from the bank and pay it back because it was less hassle. Most of the richer folks I know/am acquainted with are in that stratosphere where they aren’t so rich they couldn’t possibly spend it, but are rich enough to fret over everything, and it makes them so unhappy.

Crims

Wethermon
To put it into some context, one of these folks was asked by their son for a loan - not even a gift - of £10k to be repaid over the next 5 years, interest free. Sort of like a down payment on inheritance, just to bootstrap something they were doing. Said person could afford it, I happen to know they have north of £100k hoarded in cash around their place because they don’t trust the banks.
I know several people like that. It's coloured my perception of people who have money too - partially why I'm fairly critical with regard to idealist rich that don't simply have FU Money/good planning - if it doesn't work for you, or a goal why bother? Inflation makes it worse too.

Last edited:

wolfdeer

Sure, if your unhappiness is caused by lack of money, having money could make you happy-- temporarily--of course. There's always something that will make you unhappy whether you're rich or not. That's how I see it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I disagree with that temporarily, because it alleviates or removes many of the stresses and strains of modern life. For example, paying bills, buying food, buying a decent house, paying for medical bills, surviving the current cost of living crisis etc and these are just the essentials. There's also a lot of merit in being able to enjoy the finer things in life for better mental health and happiness. Also, studies have shown that wealthier people usually live longer, too.

Finally, if one is the charitable type, they can do more to help charities that they care about, whether it's giving more money and / or getting personally involved with them.

wolfdeer

Of course having enough money is a good thing and we all want it, but there's always something that's going to make you unhappy. I remember the quote from one of the Star Wars movies, "there's always a bigger fish". There's always another problem that money can't fix like loneliness, loss of a loved one, poor mental health, negative addiction, depression, etc.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh yeah, that I totally agree with.

I roll my eyes when I hear about some celebrity who dies in a haze of drink and drugs. Or what about R Kelly getting sent down for 30 years for sex and racketeering crimes.

Some people really can't handle it and hence shouldn't have it in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom