Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Mars So awful, but true. :(

I've just changed my siggy to reflect my support for animals.

And those wet markets. They really are gross. As much as I detest fox hunting and the people that commit this crime, this is actually worse, considerably so. Talk about abusing the environment, these poor unfortunate animals are part of it and hence should be considered when assessing environmental impacts.

Thankfully, the situation is very slowly changing for the better in China due to various animal rights pressure groups.

Everyone: please no details of what happens there, it's distressing enough knowing about it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
You know, when the b****dy covid started, in China, in their disgusting wet markets, I thought to myself: 'Here, the animals take their revenge'.
When rain forests are razed to the ground, and innocent animals' habitats are destroyed, leaving them with desolation hunger and death, and then we get climate change, I say to myself: 'Here, the animals take their revenge'.

But it is a blind revenge, which in many instances hits the wrong targets.
Let's hope things will change for the better, we must have hope.

I totally understand where you are coming from.....without getting too deep....but I get your sentiments and your frustration.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
If you need any more help with troubleshooting your UPS, it might be worth starting a thread in the PC section about it where you'll get better support. :)

Posting that right now :)

Nice siggy!! :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Going to space depressed the hell out of William Shatner (yes, captain Kirk in Star Trek) as it brought home just how badly mankind is wrecking the planet. Add to that, Putin's and North Korea's threats of nuclear war and the situation is really dire. I guess it won't bring it home for us unless one of these nutjobs actually does it. Let's hope America can stop them. And let's not beat about the bush, only America is strong enough to stop them, if they can.

While he had expected to be awed at the vision of the cosmos, seen without the filter of the Earth’s atmosphere, he instead became overwhelmed by the idea that humans are slowly destroying our home planet. He felt one of the strongest feelings of grief he’s ever encountered, Shatner wrote.

My Comment on America

I see a lot of anti-American sentiment in the media, social media and from activists generally, but I don't agree with these idiots at all. No, it's not perfect and has some significant problems that must be addressed, but to be anti, is idiotic. It's to promote repressive regimes instead. Go live there if you really love it so much. I wonder if this sentiment is actually being fomented by these regimes as propaganda to try and weaken the West, in fact. Hard to know for sure.

@Tiffany @wolfdeer As Americans, I think you'll be with me on this one. :)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Flying in really quick, but wanted to acknowledge your important post. I have the link open to read tonight and will post my thoughts tomorrow. Thank you!!

live627

. I wonder if this sentiment is actually being fomented by these regimes as propaganda to try and weaken the West, in fact. Hard to know for sure.
Such regimes love to project soft power which seems to be "Rawr xD" because they rely on that as a crutch to hold onto power so their own population keeps believing. The West doesn't need to employ this tactic as much because its structure isn't so top-down. I have a pyramid in mind. A pyramid scheme.

Mars

Staff Member
My Comment on America

I see a lot of anti-American sentiment in the media, social media and from activists generally, but I don't agree with these idiots at all. No, it's not perfect and has some significant problems that must be addressed, but to be anti, is idiotic. It's to promote repressive regimes instead. Go live there if you really love it so much. I wonder if this sentiment is actually being fomented by these regimes as propaganda to try and weaken the West, in fact. Hard to know for sure.

I totally agree with you Retro. Anti-American sentiments were always 'in vogue'. It is easy to hit at someone whom you know will not hit back. What I mean, being too vociferous against dangerous regimes could be hazardous to your health. Besides, unfortunately, do-gooders abound. They are all over he place, in the US, here in the UK, and elsewhere.
Those weaklings are the bread and butter of Putin and co.

I am thinking of a prog we saw on TV last night, where a bully woman strangled her boyfriend to death "just because I wanted to see what it was like, to choke a person to death" -her words.
She got 60 years, but may be out after 15 if she repents and behaves herself.....The reason why I bring this? Because who are her most ardent advocates? The lads parents!!!! See what I mean about do-gooders?
You see his mother, visiting the bitch in prison, hugging her, and saying to her 'I love you'.
Words fail me.

So, the do-gooders scrutinize what goes on in the US: yes, of course there is corruption in the US, just as there is corruption anywhere else; just look at what goes on HERE! But the fact is, the United States IS the strongest economy. In comparison to Putin and co they are outright Benevolent. And they are Mighty.

With all its faults, all I can say is: Long Live America!

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
On Shatner..... He was the best ST Captain, just putting that out there ;) I can understand his reflection on the earth and how we are failing as good earth stewards. He's lived a long life, and it's amazing he was able to make this trip to view earth amongst the stars.

On those that are anti-American.....I'm not offended as I can see America's short comings, missed opportunities, corruption, and see through political agenda's but while there's all of that bad stuff, there's a lot of good that doesn't ever seem to make the news. The news thrives on chaos, shock, and stories that are extremely controversial, sad or leave the viewer extremely provoked by the content. America isn't the only country that produces this kind of news, however, America is severely divided right now, which is of grave concern. For America to stay strong, and an example of freedom, the politics of our time, needs to have a "come to Jesus" moment and realize that America stays strong when we are together, not apart and other countries depend on our strength for so many reasons.

I don't think you @Retro are too off in your suggestion that other regimes use tactics to change the minds of people of a country, to create a negative environment for a purpose that props up the other country trying to manipulate people from America or other countries in the process.

Arantor

He was the best ST Captain, just putting that out there
Agree to disagree, I think they all bring different things to the table, perhaps I should elaborate on that in another thread.

I won't disagree that America is divided - and it seems more divided than ever. I do find some of the examples of 'freedom' disconcerting - I see folks on Quora suggesting that the UK needs to join the US 'to have actual freedom', for example, and honestly... that's not a kind of freedom I find 'free'.

Crims

Wethermon
Agree to disagree, I think they all bring different things to the table, perhaps I should elaborate on that in another thread.

I won't disagree that America is divided - and it seems more divided than ever. I do find some of the examples of 'freedom' disconcerting - I see folks on Quora suggesting that the UK needs to join the US 'to have actual freedom', for example, and honestly... that's not a kind of freedom I find 'free'.
I had that idea earlier, that America is basically trying to jockey the UK as a vassal state, which basically has no functional basis. That it's becoming more outspoken goes to show the lack of governance here.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
A thread about Star Trek captains? Go for it. :cool:

My favourite is Picard, by some margin. He really had the air of authority and gravitas for it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Picard was very proper, and I did appreciate the well written flowing language he used that defined his character to me.

Yes, I thread on Captains would be fun! :)

Arantor

The irony in this... something something breakaway state

Wouldn't that practically undo Brexit, spiritually at least?
Yes, but it’s not the Brits suggesting this, it’s the “freedom loving” Americans that tell us we “need freedom” and genuinely do not see the irony. Or they’re trolls, not sure which.

wolfdeer

Going to space depressed the hell out of William Shatner (yes, captain Kirk in Star Trek) as it brought home just how badly mankind is wrecking the planet. Add to that, Putin's and North Korea's threats of nuclear war and the situation is really dire. I guess it won't bring it home for us unless one of these nutjobs actually does it. Let's hope America can stop them. And let's not beat about the bush, only America is strong enough to stop them, if they can.

My Comment on America

Yep, I'm with you on this one.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
America is less free than the UK. The magnitude of lost freedom, especially in the last few years, is profoundly felt by most American's.

On the link below, you can click on each country name for more details of the country.

Freedom scale.png

Arantor

-sigh- two Just Stop Oil protestors were at the National Gallery, threw a can of tomato soup over Van Gogh’s The Sunflowers then glued themselves to the wall in protest.

(The painting is fine, btw, it’s behind glass though “minor damage to the frame”.)

I get the desire, perhaps even the need, to protest but this is not how to win friends and influence people to your cause.

wolfdeer

-sigh- two Just Stop Oil protestors were at the National Gallery, threw a can of tomato soup over Van Gogh’s The Sunflowers then glued themselves to the wall in protest.

(The painting is fine, btw, it’s behind glass though “minor damage to the frame”.)

I get the desire, perhaps even the need, to protest but this is not how to win friends and influence people to your cause.
I'm all for protesting and I understand their cause, but that's a bit overboard. The protestors look like young teenagers for Pete's sake.

Arantor

I'm all for protesting and I understand their cause, but that's a bit overboard. The protestors look like young teenagers for Pete's sake.
Ages are 21 and 20. I sympathise with their cause but - and this is a sign that I am a generation older - this is a level of stunning naivety to think this would make a difference. If anything it’ll coalesce support against them.

Mars

Staff Member
I really think jail time should beckon for these idiots. Free speech be damned.
I agree, but unfortunately this is unlikely to happen in this country. Jail they deserve, but I reckon all they'll get is a slap on the wrist. Sometimes I doubt the sincerity of some protesters; I think they do it more for the buzz, rather then anything else.

wolfdeer

Ages are 21 and 20. I sympathise with their cause but - and this is a sign that I am a generation older - this is a level of stunning naivety to think this would make a difference. If anything it’ll coalesce support against them.
Oh, okay. Yeah, people are so caught up in their cause and how everyone disagrees with them that they're completely oblivious to the fact that what they're doing isn't helping, but making this worse if anything.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Two depressing climate changes articles to feel bad about. Humanity collectively really is a stain on this planet, especially the rich and powerful who could make a difference, but put profits and greed ahead of this.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Two depressing climate changes articles to feel bad about. Humanity collectively really is a stain on this planet, especially the rich and powerful who could make a difference, but put profits and greed ahead of this.

Great articles, thank you!

How do we change our future world/climate unless we have "all countries, all in?" I see a division of what countries are "in" like the West and European countries, vs. the other countries like China, Russia and the BRIC's countries...which BRIC's is growing substantially in power.

Not trying to be provocative or political, it just goes through my head like seeing it through a child's eyes.... "why do they get to get away with the climate restrictions and we don't?" :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom