• No, but not completely sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
-3C is pretty cold with frost and some snow in areas! We've had torrential rain for the past two days; cold and damp weather. A break today and then threatening weather comes back Monday and Tuesday. I'd rather be on a beach. 🏖️

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Hey, global warming is warming globally again!

So many issues with your weather changing from super cold to rainy, possibility of pipes breaking and flooding. I hope none of these predictions happen this week.

We are going in the opposite direction this week. Severely cold weather for several days in a row (9F) with the threat of power outages.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Among all the environmental doom and gloom we keep talking about, it's important to realise that there's quite a few success stories out there as well too, to help keep us optimistic.

And here's a bonus story to wow you too.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Nice to have some hope and a green website dedicated to posting all of the good and positive changes developing in our environment.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
We tend to take the free availability of fresh drinking water for granted in first world countries, but we really shouldn't. Only 3% of the world's water is fresh and actually available for drinking, bathing and irrigation and it's becoming increasingly scarce with global warming. However, there's now a proposed solution to this problem.

There's not enough fresh water to go around on planet Earth, and it's a problem that's expected to only worsen in the coming years.

To meet growing demand, recycling and restricting our water will only get us so far. Scientists will need to find new sources of this life-sustaining liquid to meet our needs.

One currently untapped source is the water vapor above the oceans, which is almost limitless as far as supplies go. A new study outlines how harvesting structures could be used to convert this vapor into drinkable water.

"Eventually, we will need to find a way to increase the supply of fresh water as conservation and recycled water from existing sources, albeit essential, will not be sufficient to meet human needs," says civil and environmental engineer Praveen Kumar, from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.

"We think our newly proposed method can do that at large scales."

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Great article in review of 2022's weather and disaster events.

This morning in scanning the news, I stumbled upon a geoengineering company; Making Sunsets Company. In looking into this company and what they are doing, I haven't glanced at a write up about the company yet that is not without bias, so I hesitate in sharing from any news outlet until I can learn more, however, since this company is attempting to purposely change the climate through geoengineering, I thought it worth mentioning.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
That's good news for people that have to work bypassing these protestors and travel on the roads. It can be really dangerous when these groups block major intersections and block highway traffic.

Arantor

this awful government does something right
The Policing Bill wasn't put in place to deal with XR but to quell dissension from the ranks. This is entirely by accident that it has this effect.

The Policing Bill is some next level Orwellian crap, btw. It needs to go.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh I know. It's just for once their actions have done the right thing, even if by accident.

It's indeed an awful bill.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This makes the crime of man made climate change so much more damning.

I'm surprised that they had the technology to process all this data back then though as computer power was so many orders of magnitude less than today.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Well, that article just gives me PTSD thinking of an unbearable hot summer again. The interesting part is the author didn't mention that we've been in a "triple-dip la Nina", though Prof Hansen does mention a fourth year in the La Nina pattern.

Prof James Hansen, at Columbia University, in New York, and colleagues said recently: “We suggest that 2024 is likely to be off the chart as the warmest year on record. It is unlikely that the current La Niña will continue a fourth year. Even a little futz of an El Niño should be sufficient for record global temperature.” Declining air pollution in China, which blocks the sun, was also increasing heating, he said.

I think when El Nino is confirmed, the month and season it's activated will determine the extremes. For example, hurricane seasons with an El Nino pattern are generally milder because EL Nino causes a lot of volatile trade winds going across the western Pacific, through the Gulf of Mexico, passing through the Caribbean towards the Atlantic. Tropical storms have a hard time staying formed and becoming hurricane strength when there's strong winds. Also during an El Nino, there's more drought (US) because there's often a high pressure ridge blocking any moisture from coming in to the states from the Gulf of Mexico.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
But of course they're scaling back their climate change targets lest it dent those massive profits, tsk. One can run a small country on money like that and that's just the profits.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The 90% of rain forest carbon offsets article was a bit mind boggling, disappointing that major corporations are messing with their numbers to keep an emission credit level standard.

On BP.... big companies and lobbyist together setting up a quid pro quo. Tsk!
Climate campaign group Greenpeace, whose voice the BBC has included because of the impact of oil and gas production on the environment, said BP's new strategy "seems to have been strongly undermined by pressure from investors and governments to make even more dirty money out of oil and gas".

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I can't see this hare-brained idea ending well.

I can't imagine would unseen weather disasters could occur with this type of maneuver with moon dust. OMG!:eek:

Proponents of a “moonshot” idea to deal with global heating have been handed a new, very literal, interpretation by researchers who have proposed firing plumes of moon dust from a gun into space in order to deflect the sun’s rays away from Earth.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
_128888320_gettyimages-1411130003.jpg
This is a pic from your article. Wind generators are huge! OMG!!

On your article, I can't even imagine what it would take to "vacuum" CO2 and not even sure how it turns to stone when it's injected into the earth? Interesting process.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Bloody hell, those guys really have a head for heights. Thing is a big gust could really blow them off. Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom