• No, but not completely sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I know right! I was pretty surprised at the scale of the wind generator compared to the little bitty humans.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's not just unbearable temperatures and destructive weather that we'll have to endure, it'll be a global chronic shortage of water, enough to severely affect those in the affluent West.

The world is facing a looming global water crisis that threatens to “spiral out of control” as increased demand for water and the intensifying impacts of the climate crisis put huge pressure on water resources, a UN report has warned.

Water use has increased by about 1% a year over the last 40 years, driven by population growth and changing consumption patters, according to the UN World Water Development Report published Tuesday, on the eve of a major UN water summit in New York.
01 conserving water top card

Saving water can help us deal with the climate crisis. Here's how to reduce your use

By 2050, the number of people in cities facing water scarcity is projected to nearly double from 930 million people in 2016 to up to 2.4 billion, the report found. Urban water demand is expected to increase by 80% by 2050.

Without action to address the problem of water scarcity, “there definitely will be a global crisis,” said Richard Connor, the report’s lead author, at a news conference to launch the report.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Totally terrifying article on water resources!

So, I have a work around for some of this issue.....the US and their so called, "efficiency" appliances, light bulbs faucet filters etc., are supposedly designed so we won't waste water. In my experience, if I don't have water pressure to rinse off my tooth brush, I have to run the water longer ...thankfully, I have my cheat which is an ultrasonic machine for toothbrushes and retainers, but the point is, I'm running water longer to rinse, and then I'm using more electricity to sterilize my brushes. That doesn't make sense to me? Then if I want hot water, when I turn on the hot water faucet, I have to run the hot water for a bit to get hot water, because there's a flow valve in the faucet and now I just wasted water. On washing machines, "they" made them efficient again, by using less water, but are you really getting your laundry cleaned? I say no, and I purposely do more smaller washers because I like clean. Apparently, our illustrious administration plans to tinker with washing machines water level efficiencies again, HVAC and gas stoves now. I'm all for being the best earth stewards, but I'd prefer common sense solutions rather then restrictions. Yep, I'm frustrated and rambled.:rolleyes:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
More bad news for climate change.

I do wonder what the world will look like in 100 years, shame I'll never find out. We imagine an ultra high tech future and advancement of science, but if the weather plays too much havoc it could bring us back to the stone age.

The temperature of the world’s ocean surface has hit an all-time high since satellite records began, leading to marine heatwaves around the globe, according to US government data.

Climate scientists said preliminary data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa) showed the average temperature at the ocean’s surface has been at 21.1C since the start of April – beating the previous high of 21C set in 2016.

“The current trajectory looks like it’s headed off the charts, smashing previous records,” said Prof Matthew England, a climate scientist at the University of New South Wales.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good article, thank you! SST's (Sea Surface Temperatures) are a big deal in affecting the weather. We've been in a Triple Dip La Nina pattern for the past three years and with the El Nino pattern forming with warmer seas in both the mid-Pacific and lower Atlantic, there's always a bigger threat of hurricanes. The only gift that an El Nino pattern gives is a lot of wind shear going across the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea. Stronger wind shear and trade winds can often disable a tropical storm or at least slow a hurricane's strength. As volatile as the US spring has been, I wouldn't be surprised our hurricane season coming up will be just as peculiar and volatile. Before, I looked at the predication, I was about to say, I would expect two to four bad hurricanes this year.

Hurricane predictions for 2023.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Crims

Wethermon
This isn't climate change, but it's environment related, so close enough to go here.

So, incredibly, nature is finding a way to live in mankind's biggest garbage patch on the planet, our biggest shame at a staggering 620,000 square miles of it. The irony, is that cleaning it up would now kill millions of creatures, so do we clean it or leave it? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

Postcards to CNN? I don't think it's going to work, though the cleaning process wouldn't necessarily be bad vs leaving it be. I firmly believe that there's no middle ground for it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It was a joke about sending a postcard to the usual NZ address lol.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This isn't climate change, but it's environment related, so close enough to go here.

So, incredibly, nature is finding a way to live in mankind's biggest garbage patch on the planet, our biggest shame at a staggering 620,000 square miles of it. The irony, is that cleaning it up would now kill millions of creatures, so do we clean it or leave it? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

I've read about this large patch of plastic and trash floating around and seen it on documentaries; really sad. This is the type of environmental cleanup that can be possible through countries working together or through private companies that find a way to fund such a task to clean this up. Though the upside to it, as you've mentioned, is it's created an eco system for creatures that ordinarily wouldn't be found in that part of the Pacific ocean, whereas they are thriving on it. If they are consuming the trash, that might be a plus? Dunno :unsure:

Crims

Wethermon
I've read about this large patch of plastic and trash floating around and seen it on documentaries; really sad. This is the type of environmental cleanup that can be possible through countries working together or through private companies that find a way to fund such a task to clean this up. Though the upside to it, as you've mentioned, is it's created an eco system for creatures that ordinarily wouldn't be found in that part of the Pacific ocean, whereas they are thriving on it. If they are consuming the trash, that might be a plus? Dunno :unsure:
I'm not sure that's possible. Just the way it is. I could analysise it though nothing seems relevant about that... read Retros comment and I remember New Zealand when I see NZ. I met some one from there recently, and all he ever talked about was burying his head in the sand.
I heard that Hungary+Germany are producing solutions, though.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'm not sure that's possible. Just the way it is. I could analysise it though nothing seems relevant about that... read Retros comment and I remember New Zealand when I see NZ. I met some one from there recently, and all he ever talked about was burying his head in the sand.
I heard that Hungary+Germany are producing solutions, though.

Nice to hear that Hungary and Germany are attempting some solutions.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I was thinking the same, just glancing at your link. Most of our summers are like sizzling hot during an El Nino pattern and very little rain too. I'm not in any hurry for summer to arrive, just saying!

aussiefooty

Global warming is responsible. while the globe warms up climates will get hotter.
To combat global warming you need to come up with a plan for sustainable living.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Ballarat is cold at this time of year. We're heading into winter.
it's currently 7.4 C
Oh, that's right...while you are heading into winter, we are heading into summer...7.4C is pretty cold. I had no idea it could get that cold, but it makes sense since north New Zealand is somewhat tropical, compared to the southern half of New Zealand.

aussiefooty

Oh, that's right...while you are heading into winter, we are heading into summer...7.4C is pretty cold. I had no idea it could get that cold, but it makes sense since north New Zealand is somewhat tropical, compared to the southern half of New Zealand.
I've also got a small heater on in here to keep me warm overnight

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I've also got a small heater on in here to keep me warm overnight
We have central heat and air conditioning as our summers get boiling hot here in the southern US. Glad you have a heater to help keep you warm and cozy!:)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Climate change consequences continue to get more dire. In some ways, it doesn't quite feel real does it? Even though I can see first hand its effects where I live. England used to be cold and miserable most of the time, but not so much now and it's intolerably hot in the summer, hitting a record 40c. Lucky I was in an air conditioned office for most of that time on that day. Horrible.

aussiefooty

Climate change consequences continue to get more dire. In some ways, it doesn't quite feel real does it? Even though I can see first hand its effects where I live. England used to be cold and miserable most of the time, but not so much now and it's intolerably hot in the summer, hitting a record 40c. Lucky I was in an air conditioned office for most of that time on that day. Horrible.

I think the problem lies when you have earthquakes and tsunamis the earth moves everything closer to warmer weather.

Back
Top Bottom