The London ULEZ is nothing but a scandalous money grabbing scam

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
It seems to be a coordinated effort to drive motorists off the road or seriously curtail their journeys. They pushed electric cars highlighting their economy, now with electricity hikes more expensive than petrol. Insurance is going through the roof, eventually when motorists can no longer afford to run their cars then they turn to something else. They have to have money.

Geffers

TheURL

The universal incentive is to ask "now how can I make money without actually producing anything?" It applies to everything - Outsourcing, taxation, you name it. Ulez is just jumping on the Eco bandwagon. Any flimsy business case will do for the stupid public, won't it?!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Tory MP to bring bill on 6th December to try and kill off this corrupt ULEZ. I'm not especially hopeful this will succeed, but it's good to see that resistance to it continues.

Khan's up for re-election in May so hopefully he'll be voted out. I always thought he had something shady about him and I've always hated his anti-car policies. The only thing we've agreed on is to remain when it came to brexit.

Conservative MP Gareth Johnson has announced a new Private Members' Bill which would overturn the Ulez expansion in London.

The extended zone, which covers the whole of outer London, came into force in August.

A spokesperson for Johnson described the expansion as "undemocratic".

He said the Ulez expansion is an "unfair stealth tax" which "hits the poorest the hardest".

Speaking about the bill, which will be presented to Parliament on Wednesday, he said: “I am introducing a bill, which if it is not talked out, will overturn the ULEZ expansion which came into force in August.

TheURL

The thing that irks me the most about the ULEZ expansion is his claim that (a) it will affect only a very small number of people, yet (b) have a profound effect on air quality. I'm insulted if he thinks I'm falling for that one. You can replace "air quality with "revenue" if you like, the point is still valid.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The ULEZ camera was installed only on 6th December and has already been destroyed. :) While I'm happy about that, it's daft in the extreme to physically blow it up with explosives. No wonder the police are treating it as a terrorism incident. Two men in their 60s have been arrested.

Photos posted on social media by people living nearby showed a large dent in a van and damage to the window frame of a nearby house. No one was injured.

TheURL

I'd just to say that I wasn't one of them (mi'lud)! I'm not sure if exploding ULEZ cameras quite fit in with the accepted definition of "terrorism" per se. But along with phone zombies it's another hazard for pedestrians to worry about now.!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Come on tories, do the right thing for once.

Michael Gove will seek to overrule Sadiq Khan’s decision to block cars that would otherwise be scrapped under the Ulez scheme being sent to Ukraine.

Mr Khan, the Mayor of London, rejected a suggestion by Vitali Klitschko, his Kyiv counterpart, to donate 4x4s and trucks, claiming to do so would fail to ensure that the Ulez scrappage scheme benefits Londoners from an “economic, social and environmental perspective”.

In a letter seen by The Telegraph, Mr Gove, the Communities Secretary, wrote to Mr Khan on Thursday saying he would happily intervene under the power granted to him as Secretary of State.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
So, a sufficient arm-twist has been applied to Khan to force him to reverse his decision on banning cars for Ukraine. Good, and hopefully Khan will finally be voted out at the mayoral election in May.

Sadiq Khan has backed down and said he supports a move to send to Ukraine 4x4s that would otherwise be scrapped under Ulez, in response to a Telegraph campaign.

The London Mayor had previously blocked cars that were Ulez non-compliant from being sent to the warzone, as he said the move would not benefit Londoners environmentally, economically and socially.

Now, in a victory for The Telegraph, Mr Khan has about-turned on his decision and appealed to Mark Harper, the Transport Secretary, to make it “possible for Londoners, and others across the country, to donate suitable vehicles to Ukraine through scrappage schemes”.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I hope they win, but unfortunately, this isn't gonna help British motorists.

Transport for London (TfL) could be forced to pay back millions in ULEZ fines after Dutch lorry firms launched a first-of-its-kind legal challenge over penalties issued to foreign drivers.

Lawyers acting on behalf of the companies argue up to £6.5m in fines were issued unlawfully by low-emission schemes in London and have a launched a legal review against TfL in the High Court.

It marks the first legal challenge against TfL and its debt collection agency, Euro Parking Collection (EPC), over fines to foreign drivers and could open the doors for further challenges.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Well done that man!

An anti-Ulez hero has dismantled one of the scheme’s cameras in Bexleyheath, south-east London and replaced it with a Christmas tree.

Passing drivers saw the camera and its post unceremoniously dumped on the pavement on Erith Road, off the Barnehurst Road roundabout, next to a silver fake tree, which was left sticking out from the end of the bottom of the post.

The Blade Runners activists group claim to have destroyed some 150 of the Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez) cameras which monitor traffic passing through parts of the capital.

Note that I've fixed a typo in the above quote.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
More evidence that ULEZ is a scam as now even the ASA are banning TfL's ads for being misleading. Note that the article doesn't say that the ads were banned in their current form, but that's what these criticisms by the ASA normally lead to.

Adverts for the expansion of London’s Ultra Low Emission Zone (Ulez) made misleading claims about pollution levels across the capital and inside cars, a watchdog has found.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said claims made by Transport for London (TfL), which runs Ulez, that levels of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) had reduced by almost half as a result of the scheme were not based on measurements of air quality taken before and after it was implemented, as listeners of the radio ad might expect.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is a proper grass roots protest campaign. Respect.

A “funeral for Ulez” has been held in south-east London to protest against Sadiq Khan’s clean air zone.

Around 500 protesters, some dressed as skeletons and t-rexes declared “Ulez is dead” as they marched through Biggin Hill on Saturday afternoon.

Flowers were thrown in front of a hearse while buskers and DJs performed at the Day of the Dead-themed event.

Mars

Staff Member
Can't wait for May's election, to see that SOB thrown out. What irks me, is that he would have made his millions by then; am trying not to dwell on this too much, as I find it too galling.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Despite clear evidence of the harm it's doing and its unpopularity, Khan is immune to criticism and pressing ahead with more anti-car measures. And yet this corrupt politician is likely to get re-elected mayor again. Just how stupid are people? No wonder he continues with this rampant abuse. And of course, this is now spreading to other areas, like a cancer.

It has been six months since London’s “Ultra Low Emission Zone” expanded into the suburbs and respect for the scheme has never been lower. Four-figure fines handed to innocent motorists have undermined public support, while the disputed outcome of the scheme has earned Transport for London (TfL) a rebuke from advertising regulators. People are having their cars seized despite never driving to London, while scientists who query TfL’s claims are “silenced” for questioning the orthodoxy. All told, it’s not a good look for TfL or Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London.

But that won’t stop either from pressing forward with new schemes. TfL has branded Ulez a success despite not-inconsiderable criticism, and with tens of millions of pounds generated by the scheme over the past six months, it’s probably a harbinger of ideas to come – both in London and elsewhere in the UK. Regional governments across the country have observed the rollout (and revenues) from Ulez and are considering similar fine- and charge-based “emissions” schemes.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Sadiq Khan is worried that the new first past the post mayoral election voting system is going to put the tory Susan Hall in place. Good, may his worst fears come true. Kick him out!

Never thought I'd vote tory for anything, but this is a big exception. If she gets into power, then she must keep her promise to cancel ULEZ, or I'll be voting her out at the next election.

Sadiq Khan has called on Liberal Democrat and Green supporters to “lend him their votes” in the May mayoral election, saying changes in the voting system mean he could lose to the Conservatives’ Susan Hall.

This year’s election on 2 May will be held under the first-past-the-post system, meaning voters will only get one vote each. In previous contests, Londoners have been able to have a first and second preference.

Back
Top Bottom