The second American presidential debate (10 September 2024)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The presidential "debate" between Kamala Harris and that orange one called Donald Trump is being shown on ABC News next week. Unlike the first debate with Biden, everyone can watch it without jumping through any hoops, since it's not behind a paywall. This means that you can watch it in one of the ways shown below, or your preferred news channel where you can record it to watch later, especially in the UK, where it will be shown in the small hours of the night due to the four hour timezone difference.

US
Date: 10 September 2024
Time: 21:00 EDT

UK
Date: 11 September 2024
Time: 01:00 London (BST / GMT+1)

The ABC News live video feed:

The official ABC News YouTube channel which also has the live feed. This is probably the better option as one has more control over the video such as pausing and rewinding it, plus the all-important stats for nerds info. :cool::p

Background info about the debate such as the rules is here. Ironic how a third party site has this info readily available while ABC doesn't.

For reference, here's the thread for the first debate:

ABC News have now put the whole debate on YouTube. Handy if one needs to refresh their memory or debate a particular point about it as it can be referenced or linked to using the time index.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This debate, will no doubt have more viewership than ever. Thanks for the head's up on date and times!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Welcome to NerdZone Forums, data66. :)

We've got a major thread about Trump on NZ which you might like to take part in. The thread is over 1000 posts long now, so I suggest just reading the last page or so for the latest info.

I don't know who you support and I'm strongly anti-Trump, but Trump supporters are welcome here too, just as much as anyone else.

data66

Welcome to NerdZone Forums, data66. :)

We've got a major thread about Trump on NZ which you might like to take part in. The thread is over 1000 posts long now, so I suggest just reading the last page or so for the latest info.

I don't know who you support and I'm strongly anti-Trump, but Trump supporters are welcome here too, just as much as anyone else.

Thanks for that. I'll check it out. Definitely not a trumper. I also like Biden and was sad to see him forced out. Supporting Kamala now. Though, where I live it isn't so safe to say that.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yeah, it's a massive shame that his age caught up with him making his position untenable. He made a fantastic president and I'm so glad that you're not a Trumper!

Supporting Kamala now. Though, where I live it isn't so safe to say that.
It sucks when that happens. I wanted to put anti-brexit stickers on the windows of where I live while the whole brexit fiasco was going on and there was a chance to stop it, but was afraid of getting a brick through them or worse, so never did.

Astro What

Am I still the only American here that doesn't support Harris?
She's the lesser of the two evils presented.
I'm sorry, I just can't seem to bring myself to support a convicted fraudster that is well documented for lying when telling the truth would be best and that likes to sexually assault women and has been proven to do so (by his own statements and found so by a jury of his peers).
I have a feeling after this election that maybe the GOP will start to regain it's sanity and get back to the party it should be and not a worship-fest for their cult leader.
It is really a sad state of affairs when the party of "truth and justice" supports a proven liar and convicted criminal/adjudicated sexual abuser for the top position.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh @Astro What you forgot the big one! :p Trump is an insurrectionist who's riot killed people. This man literally has blood on his hands trying to subvert democracy.

Thinking about it, if you want to shore up some support with pro Trumpers, why don't you invite a friend or two to NZ? To make it really easy for them to join, just pm me their desired username plus email address and I'll create their account, bypassing all the anti spam hoops?

I'll bet this will cause the 1000 post+ Trump downfall thread to go to 2000 posts in no time lol.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
About those muted mics in this debate which Harris's campaign has agreed to under objection:

The network, according to the source familiar, has offered assurances to the Harris campaign that if there is significant cross talk between Harris and Trump, it may choose to turn on the mics so that the public can understand what is happening, the moderator would discourage either candidate from interrupting constantly and the moderator would also work to explain to viewers what is being said.

Pool reporters, who can report on what they hear both sides saying, will also be in the room, the source added.

I'm with Harris on this one and say let Trump interrupt as much as he wants, making a fool of himself in the process.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Just come across this CNN article on the debate preparations by both candidates:

When Donald Trump and Vice President Kamala Harris walk onstage at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia next week, it will be their first in-person encounter — a moment each has been mulling as they prepare with advisers for the high-stakes moment.

For Harris, a stand-in for the former president — wearing his signature red tie — has helped her visualize the scene ahead of time. Trump, meanwhile, has eschewed a sparring partner in the role of Harris, choosing instead to replicate the informal “policy time” that formed his preparation ahead of June’s debate with President Joe Biden.

Link: The stark contrasts between Harris and Trump are on full display in their preparations for next week’s debate

Astro What

I'm with Harris on this one and say let Trump interrupt as much as he wants, making a fool of himself in the process.
Oh, the reason they want the mics unmuted is to give full benefit to Trumps rantings. But they didn't want them originally because Trumps rantings would get Biden off track so easily and the Biden campaign was aware of that, so THEY agreed to a certain set of rules, the mic being muted one fo them so that Biden would not be easily distracted.
In this case, the Harris campaign was trying to force Donald into the debate by saying he already agreed to it.
Yes, he did, and with certain rules. You don't get to use a prior agreement that YOU want to change to something new and then try to imply that if the other person doesn't agree to the change then they "violated" that agreement.
If the Harris campaign wants to do the open mic routine, then set up another debate with new rules. Nothing is stopping them from having another debate.

Astro What

Oh @Astro What you forgot the big one! :p Trump is an insurrectionist who's riot killed people. This man literally has blood on his hands trying to subvert democracy.
Accused/Alleged.... but not yet convicted/charged.
The other things have been adjudicated in court and there is no question that a jury of his peers found him guilty of such. And there is also audio of his statements about how his position allowed him to sexually abuse women.

Most of my close friends don't participate in forums. And I try to avoid talking politics with them.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh, the reason they want the mics unmuted is to give full benefit to Trumps rantings. But they didn't want them originally because Trumps rantings would get Biden off track so easily and the Biden campaign was aware of that, so THEY agreed to a certain set of rules, the mic being muted one fo them so that Biden would not be easily distracted.
In this case, the Harris campaign was trying to force Donald into the debate by saying he already agreed to it.
Yes, he did, and with certain rules. You don't get to use a prior agreement that YOU want to change to something new and then try to imply that if the other person doesn't agree to the change then they "violated" that agreement.
If the Harris campaign wants to do the open mic routine, then set up another debate with new rules. Nothing is stopping them from having another debate.
Yes, quite.

Re the bold bit, an article that I posted about on here said that Trump wants open mics, but his campaign team don't, which isn't surprising as he'll make a fool of himself and they know that.

Having another debate with open mics sounds reasonable to me, but I doubt they'll scrap this one at this late stage. Whether another one happens after this, I tend to doubt it, especially if Harris tears him a new one and makes him look like a chump. This remains to be seen, though.

Accused/Alleged.... but not yet convicted/charged.
Ok, yes, if you're only including stuff that he's already been nailed for then this isn't it, thanks to his infuriatingly successful delaying tactics.

And there is also audio of his statements about how his position allowed him to sexually abuse women.
Oh bloody hell, that. I can't even bring myself to repeat it here, it was so gross. How that instantly didn't put every woman off him I don't know.

Most of my close friends don't participate in forums.
Ditto, which makes it so damn hard to grow the forum. Over three years later and it's still struggling, but that's one for another thread. ☹️

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
No, you are not. I am not American but have a US girlfriend who lives in California and is well aware of Kamala Harris. There are many who have experienced her actions in California, the once great State now a shadow of its former self. Crime out of control, tent cities popping up everywhere. She was the first to pull out in the 2020 Presidential nominations due to Tulsi Gabbard totally destroying her credibility, she was suggesting Biden was sharp as a tack up until around June of 2024 (an obvious lie) and similarly she was spouting that Bidenomics was working but now claims she will fix the economy, if it was working why does it need fixing?

Compare 2016-2020 to last three and half years.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I am not American but have a US girlfriend who lives in California
Well, you know what you've got to do Geffers: have her join NerdZone! :cool: As you can see, I don't mind that she's pro Trump even though I'm anti, all points of view are welcome. :)

If she's interested in joining, then to avoid her having to jump through all the anti spam hoops, just pm me her email address and desired username and I'll create the account and send you her login details.

data66

TBH, I'm only supporting Harris because she's all we've got against trump. I would have loved for Michelle Obama to run. Wanted her to each election but she's not interested. I've no respect for trump. My grandfather, who died at the Battle of Normandy was not a loser. My father's best friend, who was shot and killed as my dad turned to help him into the evac heli in Vietnam, was not a loser. There are just so many unforgivable moments in trump's history that, for me, his name doesn't even deserve a cap. Sorry for any this offends, but this is the only president that I do not, and will not, show respect for.

I do respect your opinions, feelings, and viewpoints though.

Looking forward to the debate.

Back
Top Bottom