Toddler Gut Bacteria Predicts Future Obesity

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's all preset by those bugs in your gut, so presumably changing the balance could make a big difference to weight control. Question is how to do it. That, we still don't have an answer for, alas.

Evidence continues to mount up that it really isn't the fault of the fatties that they're fat, as between this and genetics, they hardly stand a chance. The real question is why are thin people not fat, a questions which is beginning to be answered, finally.

In broad terms, the body has many regulatory feedback mechanisms and weight control is one of them. The problem is that it stops working properly in fat people and that seems to be for a variety of reasons that I can see. I list them below, but it's not exhaustive and they interrelate.
  • Genetics
  • Gut bugs
  • Environment
    • Easy availability of unhealthy, calorie dense foods, especially takeaways
    • Exercise, or lack of it
  • State of mind, eg depression etc
I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of off the top of my head.

The Guardian's version of this article:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
All very true drivers in whether or not you may struggle with controlling a healthy weight. There is a lot of research done alone on healthy gut bacteria and some research indicates taking certain probiotic strains will help with weight loss.

aussiefooty

Nah i reckon it's more that they have heart issues if they already are big.

When i was born i had a hole in my heart.
I had to be born earlier than expected and had to stay in hospital for a couple of weeks before being allowed back home.
My natural mother and natural father split up just after my 1st birthday and my mother began her drinking habit.
She caused me to be adopted out.
So with that in mind - she was also big.
She looked for excuses all the time for her weight.
She passed away in 2019 from 4 different things.

She drank, smoked and ate poorly.

I don't drink because of her slab a day drinking habits.
I don't smoke because it's a stinky habit.

The point i'm making is that study is not right at all.
As genetics play a big part in what your weight does.

Mars

Staff Member
It's all preset by those bugs in your gut, so presumably changing the balance could make a big difference to weight control. Question is how to do it. That, we still don't have an answer for, alas.

Evidence continues to mount up that it really isn't the fault of the fatties that they're fat, as between this and genetics, they hardly stand a chance. The real question is why are thin people not fat, a questions which is beginning to be answered, finally.

In broad terms, the body has many regulatory feedback mechanisms and weight control is one of them. The problem is that it stops working properly in fat people and that seems to be for a variety of reasons that I can see. I list them below, but it's not exhaustive and they interrelate.
  • Genetics
  • Gut bugs
  • Environment
    • Easy availability of unhealthy, calorie dense foods, especially takeaways
    • Exercise, or lack of it
  • State of mind, eg depression etc
I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of off the top of my head.

The Guardian's version of this article:

It would also depend on what the todders were fed; whether their parents fed them healthy or unhealthy diet. High or low in sugar; were they breast or bottle fed: this is of mega importance; ethnicity....so many factors.
Also yes, the easy availability of processed calorie dense food, plays a part.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Indeed, diet matters greatly, but genetics also plays an important role in defining what's there.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@aussiefooty cheers to your health and thanks for sharing your heart warming story of your early life journey. I agree with genetics playing a role, it's the snips in our genes that we turn on and off through nutrition that can make a difference in our health outcome at times.

@Mars I agree, the first three years of a child's life in nutrition is extremely important to both the immune system, gut biome, as well as getting protein that simulates well in digestion to grow strong muscle and bones.

@Retro I do agree, that genetics plays a role in what hormones are up-regulated or down-regulated and the power in the foods we eat can have a great influence on our health overall, and our health can also depend on our propensities by our current health challenges.

Back
Top Bottom