UK voted the second most miserable place to live!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Must be our terrible British weather lol. I can't believe we're lower than Russia, some other dictatorship, a war torn country like Ukraine or Gaza, or a third world country though, so take this with a pinch of salt.

The UK was voted the second most miserable place in the world in a new eye-opening survey.

Only Uzbekistan ranked lower than the UK in a global mental wellbeing index, according to the US non-profit Sapien Labs’ Mental State of the Year report released last week.

The non-profit looked at results from 500,000 respondents, from 71 countries, for a survey on how people’s “inner state impacts their ability to function within their life context”.

The think tank then compared countries by giving them a score.

Scores under 0 represent distressed or struggling, scores between 0 and 50 mean enduring, 50-100 means managing, and 100 to 200 mean succeeding or thriving.

Britain scored a pitiful 49 overall, while the average among all countries was 65.

It was also a close tie between the UK and South Africa over who had the largest proportion of respondents who are distressed or struggling (35%).

live627

No, you're reading too much into it. They only looked at one thing: mental well-being. Although there is too much noise for this study to be taken seriously as you rightly point out.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I know they're talking about mental well-being. Notice how I didn't specify what metric was being measured and left that to the quote.

Crims

Wethermon
As far as these doctored results are, this is still worth discussing. I've noticed a uptick in callous attitudes in general + it'd be better to actually examine a cause.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I rarely trust these type of results and I don't believe the UK deserves this ranking.

I look at "Best countries to live" with a skeptical eye, as well.

Uncrowned

I have also always been skeptical about these types of surveys. My state in the US always rates poorly for a place to live, but no one has ever asked me or anyone I know, who has lived here for 30+ years. We are also voted as one of the best places to travel to and most beautiful states, so I get even more confused.

Back
Top Bottom