Chit Chat Thread

Nebulous

Just stopping by to say hello! I have a 3 day weekend so that's awesome. How are we all doing today?

200.gif

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm looking forward to the end of the work day tomorrow. I've got Monday off in order to get some things done.

Arantor

Yup! We shipped the big project, we’re on tidy-up duties going forward, but nothing huge to do.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Sounds like everyone had a great weekend! I've had a little technology drama with my laptop over the weekend, the keyboard stopped working (kind of important you know) hence just getting around to catch up.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The World Cup is being shown on the BBC and ITV here in sunny Blighty. Where is it being shown in America?

Mars

Staff Member
Sounds like everyone had a great weekend! I've had a little technology drama with my laptop over the weekend, the keyboard stopped working (kind of important you know) hence just getting around to catch up.
Tiffany, nice polite name, 'drama'....I have another name for it! Glad it is all sorted :)

Mars

Staff Member
View attachment 977

Hi all, how's it going? :)
Rainy day.
Just finished watching a Western: The Ballad of Lefty Brown.
Anyone who, like me, is a Westerns aficionado, you will like this movie. All the lovely Western clichés we know: namely, low-down mean bastards and bigger than life heroes, lots of gun play, and finally.....you guessed it: the hero riding off into the sunset........

Made in 2017, the film has nevertheless that comforting, old-fashioned feel and camera work that we came to expect from the good old Westerns of yore.
And that classic haunting Western soundtrack? You know what I mean.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good Morning, and Happy Monday All!!

@Retro Not sure what channel the World Cup is being shown in America, but from what I've read, since beer isn't available to those at the stadium, it's a bit of a hum-drum experience in that one aspect.:giggle:

@Mars We watch a lot of westerns, old to new too! I just looked at the trailer of The Ballad of Lefty Brown and somehow I think we missed it when it came out in 2017. The scenery is beautiful from what was shown in the trailer and I like the fact that a "young gun" is brought in to help avenge the sheriff's death. Adding it to our list to watch. Thank you!

Mars

Staff Member

@Retro Not sure what channel the World Cup is being shown in America, but from what I've read, since beer isn't available to those at the stadium, it's a bit of a hum-drum experience in that one aspect.:giggle:

@Mars We watch a lot of westerns, old to new too! I just looked at the trailer of The Ballad of Lefty Brown and somehow I think we missed it when it came out in 2017. The scenery is beautiful from what was shown in the trailer and I like the fact that a "young gun" is brought in to help avenge the sheriff's death. Adding it to our list to watch. Thank you!
Hi Tiffany, glad you saw the trailer and liked it, when you get to watch the film you will not be disappointed. It is the old theme of betrayal and revenge, and what I liked is that the director did not try to be too 'original'. i.e. he did not go 'out with the old, in with the new', as some modern directors do.
A Western is a genre that you either like or dislike, and some modern ones are skewed and infused with modern ideas, and worse, sometimes also with modern lingo or idioms, which just don't fit.
The hero is not a young handsome buck playing it cool and posing for the camera. Bill Pullman is perfect in the role of the old diehard with a heart, his performance is spot on. Kathy Baker is good as well, as usual.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Mars The Ballad of Lefty Brown, looks really great and I do like the old fashioned feel, protecting the west's authenticity without diluting the film with modern phrases or modern dogma that didn't exist yet.

Mars

Staff Member

@Mars The Ballad of Lefty Brown, looks really great and I do like the old fashioned feel, protecting the west's authenticity without diluting the film with modern phrases or modern dogma that didn't exist yet.
yeah that's precisely what I liked about the film as you said, it was not diluted. There are couple more nice touches there, but don't want to reveal too much. You will certainly enjoy it when it comes your way.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
yeah that's precisely what I liked about the film as you said, it was not diluted. There are couple more nice touches there, but don't want to reveal too much. You will certainly enjoy it when it comes your way.
Looking forward to seeing it. I've been trying to recall the westerns we've seen over the past year. I know Trace Adkins was in two of them: Apache Junction and Old Henry. We enjoyed these movies. There were several others, that were really good, damn if I can recall the titles right now. :rolleyes:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm not a Western enthusiast, but even I'm now curious to see what this film is like. Downloading it now on pirate Sky.

I'll probably watch 5-10 minutes of it, enough to give me a feel for what it's like.

Last edited:

Mars

Staff Member
@Retro
I'm not a Western enthusiast, but even I'm now curious to see what this film is like. Downloading it now on pirate Sky.

I'll probably watch 5-10 minutes of it, enough to give me a feel for what it's like.
Hope it gives you a good feeling, Retro :)

Mars

Staff Member
Looking forward to seeing it. I've been trying to recall the westerns we've seen over the past year. I know Trace Adkins was in two of them: Apache Junction and Old Henry. We enjoyed these movies. There were several others, that were really good, damn if I can recall the titles right now. :rolleyes:
Checked the trailers, from what I saw Apache Junction looks a bit too modern to me, Old Henry looks better!

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Checked the trailers, from what I saw Apache Junction looks a bit too modern to me, Old Henry looks better!
I'd have to agree with the modernism....overlooked because we are Trace Adkins fans...lol

Not a western, but we also like Beer for my Horses and Whiskey for my Men, just a fun movie where we often recite some of the lines in real life because it just fits at the moment:ROFLMAO:. (Toby Keith and Ted Nugent)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nebulous

Hello all! Hows it going?

I hope all the Americans out there had a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday. Did anyone get any good black Friday deals? Cyber monday is coming up too.

200.gif

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
We did, thank you! Our family had a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year. My daughter cooked a full Italian dinner; Chicken Parmesan, linguini with sauce, and made totally from scratch homemade pumpkin pies. She spent all afternoon cooking and I spent the early evening, about two hours cleaning it up. The clean up was just as bad as a traditional turkey dinner :eek:

Nebulous

We did, thank you! Our family had a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year. My daughter cooked a full Italian dinner; Chicken Parmesan, linguini with sauce, and made totally from scratch homemade pumpkin pies. She spent all afternoon cooking and I spent the early evening, about two hours cleaning it up. The clean up was just as bad as a traditional turkey dinner :eek:
Sounds great! Glad you had a good time.

Hope you all had a good weekend and I hope the week ahead will be great! :)

Arantor

I’ll elaborate more on my weekend when I’m done with work because my wife and I spent it humming or play an air-violin (it’s like an air guitar, but a violin, and in the air instrument family I am a virtuoso, of course!) to the tune of Fawlty Towers.

Back
Top Bottom