Finding boxes for floppy disks in 2021

chrisgreen

With the arrival of the Amigas, I find myself in possession of a variety of floppy disks. Some, like Workbench disks, I plan on keeping.

But how and where to store them. Back in the day I had thousands of floppy disks for my original Amigas, and a multitude of disk storage boxes which at the time were cheap and easy to buy. Now, like new floppy disks themselves, new disk boxes are rarer than hens teeth.

But never fear, I found a solution quite quickly.

I present, the Really Useful Boxes 1.6 litre box: It's the perfect size to hold 50 discs safely and securely!

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

These can be fonud for as little as £2.50 a box. I have cleaned out Amazon UK, but there are other sellers on the internet who have them at that price. Hobbycraft also sells a 5 pack for £20 inc postage (or click and collect from a store).

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Amazing just how important a simple box can turn out to be, isn’t it?

HEXdidnt

Yes! These are brilliant - I have a pair of 6.5ltrs for my Japanese Saturn games and later bought a pair of 22ltrs for the UK games and repros. Adaptable, stackable, quite sturdy... and they keep the dust off. Will probably end up getting more sooner or later.

CosmicCruncher

I've found the couple of floppy boxes I have tend to be falling apart, not sure if it's just age. Those boxes will be much more sturdy and easier to transport.

HEXdidnt

Same here - I brought three over from my folks' place a few years back and they feel really flimsy. One has plastic keys that are basically a tube with three teeth, and the lock barely functions. The two with 'proper locks' can be opened with a paperclip. The dividers tend to be loose as well, so the disks flop around inside the cases. Age, cheap design, cheap materials... And yet, at the time, they seemed perfectly adequate.

Very tempted to order two or three of these 1.6ltr cases and figure out some card stock dividers to keep things organised and a bit more securely contained.

Back
Top Bottom