First world problems

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You're actually gridlocked with ideas. Pretty ironic, really. Would it help to keep a diary of them as memory joggers? They can just be one liners, nothing fancy.

Arantor

I have an entire wiki just for them...

EDIT: functionally this feels closer to burnout than analysis paralysis. Weird.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Sometimes a bit of burn out is good, so when you we recharge after a mental rest, you are more productive....maybe? Hopefully your wiki-vault of ideas will unlock after the New Year!

I still keep a manual to-do list in a spiral notebook even though I have a Notion account. There's something satisfying about physically marking out that whole line on a "to-do" list when a task is completed.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I still keep a manual to-do list in a spiral notebook even though I have a Notion account. There's something satisfying about physically marking out that whole line on a "to-do" list when a task is completed.
There's that and I've found that the laborious physical act of writing with a pen helps me to remember better the thing I'm writing about. Typing it out on the PC also helps, but it's not the same.

Schools have known about this for a great many years which is why they get the students to write down what they're being taught rather than just getting handouts. It's a pain, but it really works.

Crims

Wethermon
There's that and I've found that the laborious physical act of writing with a pen helps me to remember better the thing I'm writing about. Typing it out on the PC also helps, but it's not the same.

Schools have known about this for a great many years which is why they get the students to write down what they're being taught rather than just getting handouts. It's a pain, but it really works.
I also follow this doctrine.

I generally put my ideas in a constructive format through an online note app. I've migrated from Evernote to other apps, but generally speaking the principle is the same:
Explain the details of the idea, separate the limitations of the project, and then choose what you prefer the most.
That way a lot of ideas become collaborative, and less limiting. It's great to let them out first to see what you prefer.

Mars

Staff Member
Sometimes a bit of burn out is good, so when you we recharge after a mental rest, you are more productive....maybe? Hopefully your wiki-vault of ideas will unlock after the New Year!

I agree, about the crossing-off items on that never-ending task list. It kind of gives you a sense of achievement, no, relief is a better word.
It's off your shoulders now. Behind you, rather then still in front of you, just sitting there, nagging, nagging.....
So when it's done and dusted it's a little triumph and a wonderful excuse to go reward yourself, without the guilt!😇 You've earned your halo.

Mars

Staff Member
Indeed, you'd think that the black sheep of the family would get more attention.

I suspect, that like the "royals" are allowed to change the law in their favour, the media have been instructed to keep quiet about him. I don't have any evidence of this, but it seems plausible to me.
Yes I agree, it seems very plausible indeed.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
A lot of validation to learning by repetition in both academia and sports. I still apply those same principles in my life for what I have to learn and remember through repetition to be able to retrieve for use when needed at another time.

I want to earn one of @Mars halo's today 😇....I suppose I need to look at my very long list, which has sat throughout the holidays without a meter of action because I've been so busy.🤯 I'll see what I can mark off "done" today for that halo 😇

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Tiffs, when something seems a bit daunting, I find it helpful to break it down into small wins, which build up to something big. Hence, perhaps don't worry about getting that big thing done at the moment, but concentrate on finishing off one or two small things.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Tiffs, when something seems a bit daunting, I find it helpful to break it down into small wins, which build up to something big. Hence, perhaps don't worry about getting that big thing done at the moment, but concentrate on finishing off one or two small things.

All right....I'm going to try and break down my life in smaller wins.....I've been going by the "it's good enough" mantra at the end of the day, but the last few months, "good enough" isn't good enough....you know what I mean?

Today, I didn't finish a thing...only got stuff started, but I'll call it a "win" this time, that at least I got it started. ;)

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My Saturday ~

My husband refers to appliances or tech that are malfunctioning as caused by "operator error".... .....that is until it's pretty clear that it's really broke. Today, I spent half of my morning trying to get McAfee installed on my desktop....you would think that would be a simple, 5 minute or less project. Oh hell NO! Not today....my husband did figure out what the issue was after taking a look on the internet for support. There was a very obscure file embedded in a very obscure file section and unless you clicked on it, no download was going to happen. So why did that happen? I've never had trouble before? The only thing different is I was asking this desktop to accept coverage I set up on my laptop.

And.....now I'm fighting my Mac notebook again with it's password, keychain...blah, blah, etc.....freaking issue for iCloud. I have the persistent box that won't go away until you use the magic password. Had the password, it didn't like it, changed the password like three times, doesn't like the new passwords...sigh...what the frack? What I'd rather be doing today is writing something interesting and thought provoking... instead I'm fighting technology.

Oh and in case you missed the drama, my laptop is now fixed. It took Dell three visits to fix it. OMG!

Also today, I'm redoing my whole password document in excel. It's tedious, repetitive and boring....definitely a first world problem but also necessary.

Sorry for the rant..... 🫣

Arantor

I've been meaning to buy myself a new SSD for this laptop for a while... 450GB just wasn't cutting it, so I bought myself a 2TB SSD.

First FWP problem: apparently it's a thing now where Amazon will send you a one-time code for the delivery guy that you have to give them to get your goods. I didn't realise this because I didn't check the email that I got in confirmation of delivery and had to leave a meeting with a client to deal with it.

Second FWP problem: it's been that long since I did any of this that I had to consult multiple YT videos on how to open the case - and then having to Google 'how to format SSD on Windows 10'. There was a time I just knew all this stuff but alas.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Arantor

1 Amazon did that when the rep arranged collection from my door of a monitor I had to return for refund where their system didn't uphold the free returns label-free, box-free return. Note that I was finally able to speak to a human after having jumped through lots of infuriating hoops with their automated "customer service" (of course it is) "AI" system. Thing is, the driver didn't want the code given to me by Amazon to give to him and I didn't think to put the order number in the box, so it will be interesting to see if I actually get my refund without lots of chasing. I have a suspicion that the item is gonna reach the depot, but they won't be able to match it to an order / customer, as all they'll have on the box is a carrier tracking number...

2 Was that SSD the system drive, or one you connected to the laptop as a data only drive? If a system drive, then you have to image Windows over using third party software.

Arantor

Good luck with the return, I feel like it’ll be used to justify “computer says no” though :(

My laptop has 2x SSD slots, the new drive is now happily listed as D: and contains my Steam library and a bunch of other stuff.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh no, let's hope not! 😲 Given that this is Amazon, I hope and think it will come good in the end, especially as this was an £800 monitor.

Two SSD slots, a proper high end laptop then. :)

Please note, I've edited my post a little for clarity.

Arantor

Ah, I see, hopefully it won’t be too much pain.

And yeah, it’s an MSI GE66 Raider, quite heavy duty but at the time it was during the great component shortage so it was a little weedy on the RAM and SSD fronts, like a gaming grade laptop shipping with a 500GB SSD (450GB once you consider recovery partitions), and seeing like Guild Wars 2 eating up 64GB or thereabouts… 😬

Might even get to try Horizon Zero Dawn now I can fit the 80GB download in…

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh, here's a good one: news articles that say too much.

"Whut?! 😲 " you say.

By that I mean that they suck you in with a headline, the one below for example. This one actually commits two cardinal sins.

1 It tells you about the headline issue, but has a load of other filler to go with it. I just want the item and perhaps one or two very related facts, briefly, not a whole book of other stuff.

2 It tells you about the headline issue in the very last line. They're not usually this bad either, normally starting with the headline issue and adding filler afterwards, which I end up reading in the vain hope that there will be more about the headline issue.

Crims

Wethermon
Oh, here's a good one: news articles that say too much.

"Whut?! 😲 " you say.

By that I mean that they suck you in with a headline, the one below for example. This one actually commits two cardinal sins.

1 It tells you about the headline issue, but has a load of other filler to go with it. I just want the item and perhaps one or two very related facts, briefly, not a whole book of other stuff.

2 It tells you about the headline issue in the very last line. They're not usually this bad either, normally starting with the headline issue and adding filler afterwards, which I end up reading in the vain hope that there will be more about the headline issue.

For last like 10 years I've wanted to get an ordered list of clickbait and counter titles for everything. There's a version on reddit, but it's a forum, which is a lot more inaccessible. www.reddit.com/r/savedyouaclick

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Not all football games that I watch are available in top quality UHD HDR. Such a hard life, sigh.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Being asked to change to an inferior row on a plane by some other passenger in order to benefit them. Thankfully, this has never happened to me, but I wouldn't move if it did.

"Go back to row 26 where you belong", sounds almost racist, doesn't it? Just change it to "Go back to where you belong" for the full effect lol.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Lol...on both this situation and your comments :ROFLMAO:
Being asked to change to an inferior row on a plane by some other passenger in order to benefit them. Thankfully, this has never happened to me, but I wouldn't move if it did.

"Go back to row 26 where you belong", sounds almost racist, doesn't it? Just change it to "Go back to where you belong" for the full effect lol.

My first world problem today is the strings on teabags. They don't always stay outside of the tea cup when you are pouring your hot water. :rolleyes:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh, it gets worse than that, Tiffs!

Whenever I buy a tea from the coffee shop, it comes in a plastic cup with a lid and the string hanging out of the cup with a paper tag on the end. The problem is that the tea goes along the string via capillary action and drips all over the table, even with the lid pressing down on it at the rim. Most annoying. To fix this problem, I've taken to pulling off that tag and putting the whole string in the cup.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Clearly, you have taken my teabag string drama to a whole you level :ROFLMAO:
Oh, it gets worse than that, Tiffs!

Whenever I buy a tea from the coffee shop, it comes in a plastic cup with a lid and the string hanging out of the cup with a paper tag on the end. The problem is that the tea goes along the string via capillary action and drips all over the table, even with the lid pressing down on it at the rim. Most annoying. To fix this problem, I've taken to pulling off that tag and putting the whole string in the cup.

So, with this little @Retro experience and lesson, I now am going to apply your directions to my "at home" tea, whereas I will now tear that freaking annoying little paper tag off and dispense the string inside.;) Of course, this requires being awake and some coordination, which was part of my issue this morning.:sleep: I suppose I could have poured the hot water in the cup first and then added the tea bag, but then I'm not applying the natural order of physics to let said water pour over the teabag to start the infusion process, but what the hell! 🤭

This could turn into it's own truly nerdy conversation.😊

Arantor

You have strings on your teabags? o_O

I put sugar, teabag, water into mug, leave for several minutes, return, dispose of teabag, add milk, done. No capillary action, no weird paper tags, just *tea*.

Back
Top Bottom