First world problems

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My first world problem today was being overwhelmed with so much real life stuff to do and where to start today. I hope everyone had a great Monday and on to a great Tuesday!

Mars

Staff Member
My first world problem today was being overwhelmed with so much real life stuff to do and where to start today. I hope everyone had a great Monday and on to a great Tuesday!
Tiffany, my First World Problem on Monday were same as yours, and they are still here today, Tuesday, and are not going to go away any time soon.
Where shall I start🤨....in the middle, maybe; but first let me go feed the birds, do some washing, check the mail...

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Tiffany, my First World Problem on Monday were same as yours, and they are still here today, Tuesday, and are not going to go away any time soon.
Where shall I start🤨....in the middle, maybe; but first let me go feed the birds, do some washing, check the mail...

I think feeding the birds was a total best choice.;)

I got through yesterday, and like you said, stuff to do is still here today....though now that you mentioned I need to pay bills too. I guess I'm doing that next. :geek:

Arantor

First world problem: the older I get, the angrier I get at the world. It just seems so increasingly insincere, vapid and full of predatory monetisation. And that I can do nothing about it.

The nearest I feel like I can get would be to become the next generation of Terry Pratchett - were I so talented as he - to channel my inner rage into something that might resonate. Discworld is surprisingly political for a “comedy” series. But I am not as talented as Sir Pterry, alas.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Arizona We have roosters near us, but don't always here them, though we have a pack of coyotes that like to howl 🐺.....perhaps I'll howl with them some night :ROFLMAO:

@Arantor Right there with you on how you are viewing the world. Looked up Terry Pratchett, lots of talent; thanks for sharing!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
First world problem: the older I get, the angrier I get at the world. It just seems so increasingly insincere, vapid and full of predatory monetisation. And that I can do nothing about it.
It's that feeling of impotence, isn't it? Horrible feeling and is something we can all relate to. There's certainly enough things that bug me in that way, I can tell you.

Arantor

That’s why I like Sir Pterry, he was an angry soul and it fuelled his creativity so much.

Arizona

For one thing, many people (unknowingly) take too many risks when it comes to their own children (and dogs) -- more than I would anyway if I had children. Arguably, this is partly because of the positive illusions that help overall societal happiness/survival.

Like kids drowning in their backyard pools or being left in a hot car. These incidents happen predictably every summer in Phoenix, Arizona. I wouldn't even have a backyard pool if I had young children. And if I did -- it would be separately screened and locked. Otherwise, a change in routine can cause a parent to have task saturation while little Johnny is wondering into the backyard pool (or forgetting that Johnny is still in the backseat of the car). There is still in the collective consciousness the feeling that these tragedies are rare enough and only happen to "other people" -- which gives a false sense of security. And when tragedy strikes, the otherwise attentive parents are left with nothing but guilt and grief.

In the case of dogs, millions of dogs go missing and get run over in the US each year. And dog parks are inherently dangerous places because there is always someone's aggressive dog who eventually gets off leash -- if he was on a leash to begin with. Even in my own fenced backyard, I no longer leave my dogs unattended for even a minute because we have coyote season and rattlesnake season in the Arizona mountains. And once the FedEx driver left my gate open. Even with me in the backyard one evening, one of my dogs once walked over a sleeping rattlesnake. The dog was blind, so I was lucky he missed stepping on the snake.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
I think the majority of old people don't deserve to remark on global warming, when pollution was from 1960-2010 - the time they lived the majority of their lives.
They are right about removing safety measures though. - the more we sugarcoat dangers the dumb as fuck people populate. It's like the video last week of a Tiktok user going to Ukraine to film a war to get Tiktok views. Ultimately none ever take responsibility for it, robots.

Arizona

Regarding climate change, some (anti-natalists or otherwise negative utilitarians) embrace global warming because there will be less wildlife in existence, and therefore less wildlife to suffer from dehydration, starvation, etc.

But most of my "philosopher king" thoughts lately go to the lack of drone support for volunteer search and rescue organizations.

Last edited:

Crims

Wethermon
Regarding climate change, some (anti-natalists or otherwise negative utilitarians) embrace global warming because there will be less wildlife in existence, and therefore less wildlife to suffer from dehydration, starvation, etc.
I find those people are radically reactive to everything though. Big commendation for animals.

Arizona

It's a tragic sense of life, for sure, e.g. Peter Singer. For those without an ivory tower or audience (Singer has had both), it ends up being self-downing or immobilizing more than anything. I find it's best to be zen or metacognitive about things since any particular philosophy eventually ends up being more limiting than helpful -- thinking that is too thin for the complexity or subjectivity of life/reality.

Last edited:

Mars

Staff Member

The nearest I feel like I can get would be to become the next generation of Terry Pratchett - were I so talented as he - to channel my inner rage into something that might resonate. Discworld is surprisingly political for a “comedy” series. But I am not as talented as Sir Pterry, alas.
I share your disillusion with society. Lets face it, people have always been like this, power corrupts, people are herd animals, they gotta 'follow the leader'. Just look at that phenomenon of 'influencers', whats app, whatever; people gotta stay connected.
Just look at the worshiped icons of society, consummate show-offs each and every one of them.

Individualism is dead.

Cannot comment on Terry Pratchett as have not read his works.

Mars

Staff Member
It's that feeling of impotence, isn't it? Horrible feeling and is something we can all relate to. There's certainly enough things that bug me in that way, I can tell you.
I feel so too. We see destruction all around us. I speak mainly about the loss of habitats that causes animal extinction, from little frogs, beetles, to majestic eagles. Nothing but bad news, war, hangings, politicians playing with words and lives.
All due to the worship of Mammon. Greed.

We should therefore try to find our own little heaven here on earth, create our own environment that echoes our emotions and personality. I know, easier said then done....
Otherwise, the feeling of impotence is utterly soul destroying.

Mars

Staff Member
For one thing, many people (unknowingly) take too many risks when it comes to their own children (and dogs) -- more than I would anyway if I had children. Arguably, this is partly because of the positive illusions that help overall societal happiness/survival.

Like kids drowning in their backyard pools or being left in a hot car. These incidents happen predictably every summer in Phoenix, Arizona. I wouldn't even have a backyard pool if I had young children. And if I did -- it would be separately screened and locked. Otherwise, a change in routine can cause a parent to have task saturation while little Johnny is wondering into the backyard pool (or forgetting that Johnny is still in the backseat of the car). There is still in the collective consciousness the feeling that these tragedies are rare enough and only happen to "other people" -- which gives a false sense of security. And when tragedy strikes, the otherwise attentive parents are left with nothing but guilt and grief.

In the case of dogs, millions of dogs go missing and get run over in the US each year. And dog parks are inherently dangerous places because there is always someone's aggressive dog who eventually gets off leash -- if he was on a leash to begin with. Even in my own fenced backyard, I no longer leave my dogs unattended for even a minute because we have coyote season and rattlesnake season in the Arizona mountains. And once the FedEx driver left my gate open. Even with me in the backyard one evening, one of my dogs once walked over a sleeping rattlesnake. The dog was blind, so I was lucky he missed stepping on the snake.
So true what you are saying about kids and dogs. Wow Arizona, what a stroke of luck about your dog missing the sleeping rattler! Bless you for giving a home to your blind dog. Lots of people would have euthanized the animal. How did he become blind? Was he a rescue, or did you have him since a pup and he became blind later?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mars

Staff Member
I think feeding the birds was a total best choice.;)

I got through yesterday, and like you said, stuff to do is still here today....though now that you mentioned I need to pay bills too. I guess I'm doing that next. :geek:
Thursday, and the paper work from Monday has gone nowhere...still here. I should do something now, but-again, and no it is no excuse - the birdies come first.
At this cold weather they are hungry . It never ceases to amaze me how despite the cold, they hop into their bird bath!
The pigeons hog the larger bowl and just sit there; in the cold water!! The sparrows jump in their little bowl, flapping their wings, hop out and in again, have some seeds, and into the cold water again...
Me? much nicer to sit and watch them, rather then sit at my desk. So that is what I am going to do right now.

Crims

Wethermon
I feel so too. We see destruction all around us. I speak mainly about the loss of habitats that causes animal extinction, from little frogs, beetles, to majestic eagles. Nothing but bad news, war, hangings, politicians playing with words and lives.
All due to the worship of Mammon. Greed.
As mammonic as the world is, we provide higher value than everyone else, because it's respective to time. The idea of time and what to do with it is what brings me here, and I prefer daily stuff to first world problem style gossip too.

EDIT: Anyone else get the impression that we're declaring the lack of need for social media?

Last edited:

Arizona

Was he a rescue, or did you have him since a pup and he became blind later?
Both. Blind dogs do very well with remembering where things are, unless they get too excited. She eventually died in her senior years, partly due to the underlying, little-understood condition that caused the blindness (SARDS).

There is so much in vet med that is not being actively investigated -- it is maddening. And what is known is not disseminated enough to pet owners and even to some vets.

Part of the problem is vets have willfully relegated themselves (with legislation) to be more like techs than researchers, keeping vet techs from being able to even administer vaccines. There is a strong need for a mid-role practitioner between tech and vet. But the vets are against it, despite complaining about being overwhelmed.

As a group, vets are professionally introverted, with little concern for disseminating information to prevent or recognize common pet emergencies (like bloat in dogs or saddle thrombus in cats).

Last edited:

Arantor

First world problem: the amount of repetitive forms one has to fill in to get a mortgage and buy a property. I feel like I've provided my identification at least a dozen times already.

Arizona

That's just to increase your frustration tolerance for the inevitable delays before closing.

Arizona

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'm quite behind on this thread, you all have been chatty :D So, I'll just say, I'd advocate for best pet wellness and finding a vet that thinks out of the box, which is hard, but hey, I'll press on, if needed with my vet, which I do. No need for multiple vaccines if their titer test still shows they are protected (titer testing is good for humans especially) then I'll wait to repeat that vaccine; can't get out of the rabies vaccine though. I will insist on any vaccines to be administered separately, though inconvenient for multiple visits, but well worth it to monitor reactions and to make sure my fur-babies aren't totally wiped out by a vaccine.

A mortgage process that may take up to three months....wow...hope you close sooner than later.

That receipt on gratuity is worth remembering to always get your receipts at the drive-thru too. I repeatedly have to ask for my receipt at Taco Bueno, same location and same person at the window. This has been going on for a couple of months. I had an issue with Jack-In-The-Box about two years ago, where my credit card was kept (I know, unbelievable, but this person had the slight of hand thing down to a science at the window) and started shopping with it. I haven't been back to JITB since. The power boycotting.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Arizona lol that's glorious! :ROFLMAO: They should just pay them in cash from now on. No need to cut them out completely. And it's all the fours too, very nerdy.

Back
Top Bottom