• No, but not completely sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Thanks man, I feel so reassured that our dynamic tory government has everything in hand!

And Johnson didn't even bother with the emergency COBRA meeting. Why should he care now? He barely cared before, so now just ain't gonna happen.

What a shower of shit, the lot of them. Bring in Labour, the sooner the better.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's very hot right now where I live and the problem is getting worse. And yes, it's man-made. Just look at this heat map comparing the 1976 heatwave to now. The difference is huge.

1658183849044.jpeg

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Good map @Retro; sobering.

I know y'all are living this heat, but I thought I'd add this article as a reference point for future discussion. Totally can't believe Heathrow Airports temp reading.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Arantor I put a laughing emoji to your post because I know it took effort to type out your phrase.πŸ™ƒ

I'm not laughing at your heat though.πŸ˜‘

We will be 109F today. I will only be outside briefly for my dogs benefit. We will also be 14% humidity, which is dangerously low, and reasons to watch out for potential fires. I watered my lawn last night. I just might bend the rules and water again tonight. We are only allowed to water two specific days of the week. Water restriction's have been the new normal for the past decade. It's very frustrating, though if you wanted to you could just hand water. Yeah, ah-no, don't think so.😣

Arantor

I’m on an iPad, too! But I have grown tired of the people comparing it to 1976’s heatwave because it’s not the same, not the temperature, not the circumstances, not any of it but denialism is real enough.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
iPad even more challenging! :eek:

Funny, here in Texas, in 1976, we had a massive snow and ice storm. No power for three days. My dad stoked a fire constantly, we cooked over the fire and I sketched by a Coleman lantern for light to stay busy.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
BuT iT’s JuSt LiKe 1976 aNd We GoT oN wItH iT, wE eNjOyEd ThE sUnShInE.

-sigh-

I’m on an iPad, too! But I have grown tired of the people comparing it to 1976’s heatwave because it’s not the same, not the temperature, not the circumstances, not any of it but denialism is real enough.

Here's an article that debunks the climate change deniers you're talking about.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro Great article on distinguishing the difference between the UK's 1976 heatwave and now. I enjoyed reading the weather history of the UK too!

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Is everyone doing okay, safe, have HVAC or staying cool somehow? We are getting all kinds of news of fires, deaths, airport issues, trains, streets buckling ect. vastly across the UK and Europe?

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Thanks Tiffs, I'm rather hot, but otherwise fine. No natural disasters round this way.

I did walk out of work this afternoon into a wall of heat like I'd never felt before as at 40C, it's above body temperature. The sun on my skin was searing, but thankfully I had shade after a minute.

And scientists say there's worse to come. I'm actually scared of this now. It's no joke.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Agreed, there's no joke about this heat, it's world wide, and very extraordinary. Thank goodness, we have the invention of Air Conditioning and fans. Then there's always the freezer, ice packs. If you feel overheated, cool off your head first with an ice pack. Head and feet are temperature regulators. Sometimes too much heat can give you exertion headaches/migraines. The only way out of it for me is Tylenol and rest for about two hours because I can't move my head once it gets started. (Sorry, it's the mom coming out of me)

Yeah, there's nothing like that wall of heat when it hits you. It's very unpleasant, you almost can't breathe, and if you are not used to it rather dangerous. I'm glad so far where you live it's all calm. I'm just seeing so much news coming in on it and it just looks like Armageddon.

My little secret to keeping my skin burning from the hot sun, is wearing long sleeves. I know it's sounds antithetical, but a long sleeve shirt made of of thin jersey fabric works really well. The sun won't burn my skin and I don't heat up, I actually stay cooler.

I have an Earth Stewardship Group and one of my members posted this website today. I thought it was really interesting.

When does your heat wave end?

We are at 109 to 110 degrees right now.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I got a bit of a heat headache at around 6pm and was going to take a pill for it, but I waited a bit and then I was lucky enough for it to go away on its own. Thanks for the cooling tips. I'm sorry you got a more severe headache, though. Hope you're ok now?

I just saw the news and it showed your area with the one of the highest temperatures at 39C.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I'm glad your headache passed. Heat headaches can be really painful. I'm good at the moment, thank you!!

We hit 109F to 110F degrees today. πŸ”₯ I can literally hear the vultures swirling above.....no just kidding....we are under a red flag warning too (severe fire danger), with the low humidity. I just hope we don't have someone fling a cigarette out of their car. We are surrounded by pastures though less because of homes being built, but it would be a terrible blaze, if one got started. I'm sooooooo ready for us to have a break in the heat. This has been going on since May; no rain either. Extremely rare summer. We are in a La Nina pattern (cooler water in the Pacific also less wind shear) but I've never seen it like this before.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Glad you're ok, Tiffs.

We've had some rain now which has taken the edge off it, thankfully and temperatures should keep dropping through the week. It looks like these two days of red zone heat emergency were it for now. Don't know when the next one will be, perhaps in a month or two, or hopefully next year.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
@Retro You are so lucky to have had rain! We haven't had any rain since early May. I'm hoping when August gets here, the tropical moisture from the Atlantic tropical storm activity will make it's way inland from the Gulf of Mexico and give us some relief. I'm glad your temps will be dropping now and you are at least out of the red zone of heat. Hopefully, your roads, trains and airports will normalize a bit too.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Tiffs, today was much cooler after the rain and the cloud cover really helps too.

Hope you get some rain too. It's always an inconvenience until it's desperately needed.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Glad it was cooler! We haven't had cloud cover either for months, except the other day when I looked out of my kitchen window and I saw morning clouds for the first time. A possibility of a stray thunderstorm tonight. Ha...I believe it when I see it. Our lakes are needing the rain too. They are getting pretty low.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's an article which helps to explain why positive action against climate change has been held back so much: big, corporate interests clubbed together to ensure that it was blocked at every turn. Corruption much?

And now we're really suffering the effects of climate change. Not in a few year time. Right now.

Thirty years ago, a bold plan was cooked up to spread doubt and persuade the public that climate change was not a problem. The little-known meeting - between some of America's biggest industrial players and a PR genius - forged a devastatingly successful strategy that endured for years, and the consequences of which are all around us.

Arantor

Can’t say I’m in any way surprised. When it comes to doing the right thing or making money… well, as they used to say, β€œgreed is good”.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This all happening due to climate change. Just because the general public didn't notice anything since the UK just about made it, doesn't mean that we can stick our heads in the sand about it.

Once we start having blackouts, they will be sudden, dramatic and severe. We must brace ourselves for future blackouts.

Arantor

It wasn't as consequence-free as people think, actually. Aside from a record number of callouts to the fire services, the tech world happened to notice.

If Google has trouble keeping their datacentre cold in this heat, what does that say about the situation?

As for blackouts, don't worry, no-one will be able to afford electricity soon anyway once the October price rises kick in. Unless they're heating stables, of course, that's *fine*.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I better start planning those NerdZone articles now.

You know, I was thinking of writing a satire article on NZ going down sometimes to save power, but it might actually not be so ridiculously far fetched if AWS start imposing restrictions on their customers.

Arantor

These bigger DCs have generators and whatnot to cope with power connection issues. I don't think AWS is the one at risk here; they were flawless the entire heatwave, both the ones in Ireland and London were fine throughout - I happened to be working on things in both of them.

But I had to do an emergency migration out of the Google DC where Siteground was hosting a business site... needless to say I am getting our disaster recovery processes and policies sorted out...

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yes, NZ stayed up flawlessly, too. I did notice that. I'm surprised at Google though, who are in the same class of size as AWS.

Back
Top Bottom