The first American presidential debate timetable (27 June 2024)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The presidential "debate" between Biden and that orange one called Donald Trump, is on tomorrow being shown on CNN, a paywalled TV channel in a little over 24 hours.

I'm of course watching it, and looking at the Sky TV guide, there's a helluva build up to it of four hours! The aftermath then continues for hours afterwards. Not sure I've got the stamina. :p I need to sleep at some point too, lol.

Here's the program list and the two timezones I've shown are ET / London (BST / GMT+1) with ET being CNN's native timezone. Note that in the UK the date changes from 27th June to the 28th, but not in America, between the start of CNN talking about it and the actual debate.

17:00 / 22:00 Debate Night in America
18:00 / 23:00 Debate Night in America
19:00 / 00:00 Debate Night in America
20:00 / 01:00 Debate Night in America
21:00 / 02:00 CNN Presidential Debate
22:40 / 03:40 Debate Night in America
23:40 / 04:00 Debate Night in America
00:00 / 05:00 Debate Night in America

Unfortunately, CNN is behind a paywall everywhere. However, if you don't have Sky, Virgin or other pay TV in the UK, you can still watch it legally by temporarily subscribing online for £1.99 and then cancelling immediately afterwards.

https://edition.cnn.com/specials/live-cnni-uk

@Geffers as an avid Trump supporter, you might be interested in subscribing. We can then continue slugging it out in the official Trump thread or here, perhaps. :p

For our American friends without a pay TV or other subscription, see the main website to see how you can watch the debate.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
This will be an interesting debate, especially with all of the rules set in place. Personally, I like debates that have some passion, or an outburst or two. Get your popcorn🍿just in case.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh yes, popcorn at the ready: got my favourite Butterkist to go!

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I looked up butterkist popcorn....so many flavors, yummmm...k, back to topic. 😁

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
This will be an interesting debate, especially with all of the rules set in place. Personally, I like debates that have some passion, or an outburst or two. Get your popcorn🍿just in case.
Never needed rules before.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Been reading articles which explain that these rules give a slight advantage to Biden. A good thing in my book when the other guy is Trump. Why Trump agreed to it isn't clear.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
omg what just happened?! 😮 From the moment Biden stepped onto the stage before he reached the podium, he looked frail and unwell, really unwell... or perhaps a man who's age has finally cought up with him at 81. I couldn't tell and really felt compassion for him.

There was none of the fire in him that I saw a little while back when he made that powerful, impressive speech at the Capitol. From his agape mouth, to his overall demeanor, mental confusion, stumblings and stammer, he clearly wasn't up to it and he shouldn't be putting himself through the intense stress of trying to be president again. Can he even finish his current term? I do think he answered quite well however, especially given his poor physical state, credit to him.

I fear that unless the Democrats replace him sharpish, they're gonna lose that election by a large margin. It doesn't matter that what Biden said was true and Trump said were lies - the fact checkers on multiple news sites are gonna prove it - most voters are gonna see is one frail old man and vote for Trump since he looked much more with it.

Then the nightmare starts for America and the world, especially Ukraine when Trump inevitably pulls support.

Why did Biden and his advisers agree to this debate when he's in such a state?

I'll watch the post debate analysis later due to the late hour, but from what little I saw, the political commentators were basically saying the same thing and were shocked at what they saw too. This is bad, really bad.

live627

Biden's mental decline has been quite rapid these past few months. My grandpa is just as old and is able to drive all the way from his home in Wisconsin to us in Arizona. A week on the road. And he even installed solar on his own house to relieve boredom.

This summary of the debate was helpful for me since I took a shower rather than watch fools in a circus

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
omg what just happened?! 😮 From the moment Biden stepped onto the stage before he reached the podium, he looked frail and unwell, really unwell... or perhaps a man who's age has finally cought up with him at 81. I couldn't tell and really felt compassion for him.

I fear that unless the Democrats replace him sharpish, they're gonna lose that election by a large margin. It doesn't matter that what Biden said was true and Trump said were lies - the fact checkers on multiple news sites are gonna prove it - most voters are gonna see is one frail old man and vote for Trump since he looked much more with it.
Oddly it may make no difference. Back in 2022 I watched a live debate between John Fetterman and Mehmet Oz running for the Pennsylvania Senate. Fetterman had previously had a stroke and was thought to be incapable of running for office. Fetterman was caught out on a blatant lie saying he supported fracking - during the debate he was shown a video whereby he stated he was against fracking, when asked he gave no explanation but stated he supported fracking.

Fetterman's performance was probably worse than Biden's on Thursday 27 June but guess what, they elected Fetterman.

Geffers

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
live627, good video there.

Interesting example Geffers with quite the parallels to this one, so I guess one never knows. As it is, the latest articles are saying that he's refusing to step down, so let's see how the situation develops.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Looking back on your pre-debate comment now, I was spitting out my virtual popcorn at what was unfolding in front of me! Agreed about the passion and outbursts.

FF

Administrator
Staff Member
It's looking like we're in for another 4 years under Trump. The contrast between 2020 and 2024 for Biden is crazy

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
FF, it's looking that way, but I can't see the Democrats just rolling over and letting it happen, so I have some (very) cautious optimism that this situation will be turned around one way or another.

The big unfortunate of course, is that with Biden it's terminal since he's clearly suffering from dementia which is a terminal condition, unfortunately. Temporary improvements sometimes, sure, but constant relapses and an overall downward trend.

Ever so keen to shoot his mouth off, notice how quiet Trump is keeping while all this negative focues is on Biden. Not a peep from him yet.

@Geffers's point in post 12 is valid too, so let's see what happens.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's one of the many stories out now in the aftermath of the debate. It's real touch and go at the moment for Biden.

Astro What

Fetterman's performance was probably worse than Biden's on Thursday 27 June but guess what, they elected Fetterman.

Geffers
Not really. Fetterman had a known (and acknowledge) issue. Biden and his campaign try to deny anything is wrong, but you could readily see that there is. There were many times you could look at Biden and he had that "deer in the headlights" look on his face.
It was not a good night for him. And I much prefer him over Trump. But in all honesty, you won't be voting for Biden this year but Kamala. And that is someone I am NOT impressed with. She was on the ticket as a "gimme" to the party, a black female vice president. Why do you think you see so very little of her this past several years doing what vice presidents have typically done?

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
Not really. Fetterman had a known (and acknowledge) issue. Biden and his campaign try to deny anything is wrong, but you could readily see that there is. There were many times you could look at Biden and he had that "deer in the headlights" look on his face.
It was not a good night for him. And I much prefer him over Trump. But in all honesty, you won't be voting for Biden this year but Kamala. And that is someone I am NOT impressed with. She was on the ticket as a "gimme" to the party, a black female vice president. Why do you think you see so very little of her this past several years doing what vice presidents have typically done?
It does amaze me that people will openly say they prefer Biden over Trump as President, since Biden took over we've had Ukraine and Gaza explode, Kim Jong Un is back firing missiles, there are Russian war ships near Cuba (And Florida), inflation has hit the world due to insane green targets and reduction in oil usage. The cost of electricity has sky rocketed, people struggle to keep warm in cold months, many vulnerable will die as cold kills far more than heat. US Southern Border is an invasion, there are few checks on identity, let alone health issues, it is estimated over 10 million undocumented people have entered the US, they are given free medical (US citizens have to pay), many in hotels. Sadly many nasty crimes, particularly of a sexual nature being committed by illegal aliens. The fentanyl crisis is killing thousands and much of this due to the ridiculous border situation (UK has similar with the Channel migrants, albeit a smaller scale). The Afghanistan withdrawal was an absolute disaster and an embarrassment to the US military, there was the airport suicide bomb where not only were at least 183 people killed, including 170 Afghan civilians and 13 members of the United States military but the later US retaliatory drone attack killed 10 members of an innocent Afghan family including 7 children.

Despite all this many still support Biden., Tulsi Gabbard was maybe the best hope for Democrats but she has left the party due to the radical direction they have taken.

Just my opinion.

Astro What

The issue is the GOP (or MAGATards more accurately) are not any better.
Both sides think they can go it alone. They both have the philosophy of "my way or the highway", but the GOP is the biggest bone-heads currently with that. The GOP of today is not the GOP of my lifespan. It's become WAY to uber right wing neofascist so-called Christian radical cult members. I expect any day now to see them lighting the bonfires of the burning books and attaching folks to stake in the middle of the books.
And I've been voting Republican a LOT longer than Trumpty Dumpty has, and at no time until recently have I changed my affiliation to Independent.
I will still vote for real Republicans... but refuse to vote for MagaTards. I'll vote independent or Democrat first.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Astro What sounds like the official Trump downfall thread would be perfect for you. :cool:

The current Republican party along with the hords of MAGA members certainly are a cult, created by their unhinged leader, Donald Trump. Shocking, really.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Dumb move as staying on is likely to make the Democrats lose the election. As much as I like him, he now needs to put his ego aside and get out of the way for a more capable leader.

I still can't believe that the Democratic party doesn't have a rule that allows them to remove an unfit leader through a member vote, like most political parties,

Astro What

Dumb move as staying on is likely to make the Democrats lose the election. As much as I like him, he now needs to put his ego aside and get out of the way for a more capable leader.

I still can't believe that the Democratic party doesn't have a rule that allows them to remove an unfit leader through a member vote, like most political parties,
To remove them, the nation would have to vote, not a select few delegates to give the most fair option.
We all have good days and bad days. The very next day BIden was fairly fired up.
I personally think they should have an upper age limit on the Presidency just like they have a lower.

Back
Top Bottom