The Anti-Car Thread

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Rowan Atkinson has gotten criticised by the green lobby for telling it like it is about electric cars. Did you know that he's got degrees in electrical engineering and control systems? Respect and this gives his opinion more credibility on this issue.

The fact is that the power source for electric cars isn't good enough - the battery. We need batteries, fuel cells, or other sources of energy that compete with petrol and diesel on performance, especially the number one criteria, energy density. Batteries have way less energy density than these.

Also, when one compares the whole life cycle of electric cars from mining for materials, to manufacture, to ownership use and scrappage with those of regular cars, their environmental credentials don't look so great. This is something that tends to be kept under wraps by the green lobby.

TheURL

Why "gotten!? What's wrong with "been"?

I love the idea that Rowan Atkinson is blamed for poor sales - with all his money he was expected to buy hundreds of electric cars - but he didn't. Not one! Quite disgraceful! :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Why "gotten!? What's wrong with "been"?

I love the idea that Rowan Atkinson is blamed for poor sales - with all his money he was expected to buy hundreds of electric cars - but he didn't. Not one! Quite disgraceful! :)

Gotten because it's what came to mind. Seriously, I couldn't think of what word to put there lol, so phrased it like that. Been would have been a bit better, agreed.

omg, how dare he not singlehandedly prop up the failing electric car industry! :eek:

I like Rowan Atkinson and appreciate logic too....he is not the reason for poor electric car sales. Electric cars speak for themselves with their performance issues...the good and the bad.
Indeed he's not the reason for crappy sales - its crappy, overhyped and grossly overpriced cars with crappy range that's killing their sales. The British media is having a flipping field day with this one, asking the question, "Could Rowan Atkinson have killed electric car sales with his opinion piece in the Guardian last June?" as if that's some kind of high bar of journalism. Pathetic. @TheURL I'm sure you agree with this, too. :)

Crims

Wethermon
Seems like there's a lot of sway put toward electric vehicles. I was looking through my old post on the thread of electric vehicles and the grumpy motorcyclist's rant about EVs was taken down, so clearly there's an agenda.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Seems like there's a lot of sway put toward electric vehicles. I was looking through my old post on the thread of electric vehicles and the grumpy motorcyclist's rant about EVs was taken down, so clearly there's an agenda.
There's an agenda alright. The mantra is electric and no one is allowed to disagree with it!

To clarify for those reading this thread, Crims's post was taken down on another forum, not NerdZone. I'd never do that to a member for something like this.

Crims

Wethermon
There's an agenda alright. The mantra is electric and no one is allowed to disagree with it!

To clarify for those reading this thread, Crims's post was taken down on another forum, not NerdZone. I'd never do that to a member for something like this.
Actually, I mean the thread here. The Youtube video was removed by the creator or some EV company.

Geffers

Linux enthusiast
The Mercedes AA class luxury sedan - battery powered.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Geffers

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Haha love that. :ROFLMAO: I so wanna rush out and buy an overpriced electric car now!

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
But, critically, what size were they? This would help determine the size of the present that wasn't included.

TheURL

Oh all different sizes; from button batteries up to 9v PP9s. Then there would be the right one for almost any present they bought. :)

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This isn't directly anti-car, but it does show up the failings of the "smart" motorway concept. Good thing the government finally scrapped all further implentations of this ridiculous system, so now we need it scrapped altogether which the tories refuse to do. Hopefully, an incoming Labour government will do so, but I wouldn't bank on it.

The smart motorways computer safety system shut down across the country, leading to a “terrifying” six-car pile up after a vehicle broke down in a live lane, The Telegraph can reveal.

A whistleblower has told how National Highways’ systems “crashed”, which disabled radar technology that detects stranded vehicles, leaving control room staff unable to close lanes to traffic, set speed limits and electronic signs or use CCTV cameras.

The “catastrophic failure” culminated in a pile-up on the southbound M6 on Jan 19 when a car was left a “sitting duck” after breaking down on the inside lane, which used to be a hard shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom