The Brexit Thread

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Slowly, slowly, we inch closer to rejoining the EU and this isn't the only story like this, either. We've recently rejoined the science Horizon program, under worse terms than before of course, but still, it's going the right way. I'm no fan of Rishi Sunak and he voted for brexit, but he's massively better than Boris Johnson and that's why we're going the right way. What a disaster that man was as PM.

We still need much faster progress though.

Marmalade may have to be called “citrus marmalade” under plans being considered by the Government to align Britain with European Union jam rules.

Brussels is revising its so-called “breakfast directives”, which govern European laws for jams, jellies and marmalades.

British and EU rules are currently the same because they were agreed before Brexit.

But the new legislation, which is expected to raise minimum fruit levels in jam, could see the two jurisdictions diverge.

The European Commission has proposed that for the first time, jam can be labelled marmalade, which in Britain is always made with citrus fruits.

The Italian, German and Spanish words for jam are marmellata, marmelade and mermelada respectively, but those words cannot be used on the supermarket shelves.

Under the reforms, marmalade will now be called citrus marmalade instead.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
There's a massive rejoin march on today, which oddly isn't being covered by the BBC, Sky or the right wing newspapers like The Daily Fail and The Sun. I wonder why that is? Only The Independent is covering it on its front page. Weirdly, The Guardian doesn't have it either and they're very much a Remain paper, so I'd have thought they'd cover it big time like The Independent.

Here's the campaign website:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
A bit more Googling has found that GB News (spit) and The Express are reporting it, albeit from their own jaundiced pro brexit stance, but at least it's there.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's galling to see the Lib Dems continuing to pander to brexit. They switched from hardcore Remain before the 2019 general election to this shit immediately afterwards. Gutless, they deserve their continuing failure to get votes.

Crims

Wethermon
It's galling to see the Lib Dems continuing to pander to brexit. They switched from hardcore Remain before the 2019 general election to this shit immediately afterwards. Gutless, they deserve their continuing failure to get votes.
Lib Dems were remain? A lot of hot air. Tbh I don't hold any of them accountable seeing how we are.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Yeah, before the 2019 election, they had it as a manifesto promise that they would scrap brexit if they were voted into power. While I agreed with that policy, we saw how catastrophically that turned out, with the tories winning with an 80 seat majority ffs and brexit happening, no second referendum. There was something very iffy in how Jo Swinson helped that general election to take place and hopefully, one day the truth will come out in a nice scandal. Not holding my breath though.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
@Crims I've updated my comment above a little bit if you'd like a read. Same meaning, just a little clearer. :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Brexit still has momentum and the politicians pandering to it, ruling out rejoining - the one thing we should do and the EU have said they want us back - even though brexit regret is growing and yet, according to this article, despite this, the chances of us rejoing are growing less over time. See the analysis of what the great British publish think about rejoining to see why even the Lib Dems, the most pro EU party don't talk about rejoining. It's infuriating.

I can only think let's wait for Labour to get into power and see what happens then, but I'm not hopeful.

Why are the parties able to largely ignore Brexit? Well there’s a paradox. When people are questioned about it - support for rejoining is strong. As previously mentioned, a WeThink poll from the 12 to 13 October found 63% of people are in favour of rejoining, while 37% want to stay out of Europe.

Brexit regret, Bregret, has been steadily increasing over the past year, as people have equated leaving the EU with economic struggles. For the first time recently, a plurality of people wanted a fresh referendum in the next decade.

However, despite all of this - most people are ambivalent or even fatigued about the Brexit debate. Polling from UK in a Changing Europe found “respondents express a real sense of fatigue around the Brexit debate and high levels of indifference towards the future of the UK-EU relationship. Even around a third of Remainers now feel indifferent about its current status”.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Another "benefit" of brexit rears its ugly head. As if the widespread dumping of raw, untreated sewage into rivers wasn't bad enough, it's now going to get even worse as the UK diverges from strict EU rules. Just don't go in the water, mkay?

We can't get back into the EU soon enough.

The UK government is to diverge from the EU’s standards for monitoring water quality in England, it can be revealed.

Campaigners fear the change of approach could lead to more pollution in England’s rivers and waterways if the new measuring methods are less rigorous.

While in the EU, England was covered by the water framework directive (WFD), which meant a national chemical and ecological survey of rivers was conducted annually. After Brexit, the WFD was transposed into English law but the government removed the requirement to conduct annual tests.

This is the latest example of the UK diverging from EU environmental standards. Recent analysis found that many toxic chemicals and pesticides banned in the bloc since Brexit are not outlawed for use in the UK. Ministers have also sought to rip up EU-derived sewage pollution rules for housebuilders.

We need better tap water quality too.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Anytime and feel free to add brexit news if you like. This thread is for anyone to contribute, not just me. 🙂

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Brexit continues to bite ever harder as our food prices are gonna rise and choice reduced.

When in the EU, we had frictionless trade with no tariffs and little fraud. All that's been thrown out the window now for this sham brexit and yet it's hardly talked about. As it bites harder, blame directly onto brexit is gonna be deflected away again as not being done properly or whatever and the pandering will continue.

Also, note the government's timing, just a few months before Labour is likely to win the election, so that they will have to deal with this tory mess.

Once again, there are no brexit benefits.

The government has revealed how much companies will have to pay to import foods from the EU due to Brexit.

Small imports of products such as fish, salami, sausage, cheese and yoghurt will be subject to fees of up to £145 from 30 April, according to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

The Cold Chain Federation said the new charges would hit food prices.

Back
Top Bottom