The Brexit Thread

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
It's about time that Starmer stopped pandering to brexit by refusing to reverse it and sticking to the ridiculous "make brexit work" slogan as the country is finally becoming overwhelmingly in favour of rejoining the EU, but will he? I have my doubts.

If he won't then he should probably be replaced. I say probably, because the tories are so bad that they must be voted out of power regardless of any failings of Labour, so if Starmer remains the best man for the job, then he should stay despite this issue.

Two years after the UK transitioned out of the European Union nearly two-thirds of Britons now support a referendum on rejoining.

A Savanta survey for The Independent also shows that the number of people who oppose another vote has fallen, with less than a quarter of voters now against a referendum.

Arantor

I'm not convinced that Starmer isn't really a Tory in disguise at this point.

Consider the MBE awarded to Rachel Riley for 'services to raising awareness about the Holocaust and combatting anti-semitism'. Consider that one of the key images from this was of her wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Corbyn on it with a racist slogan - except that wasn't the original photo, it was a Photoshopped image from JC protesting against apartheid in the 1980s.

While there are definitely elements of JC's manifesto I strongly disagree with, the reality is that increasingly I find him vindicated about the various smears - and I'm honestly beginning to wonder if Starmer is not just in between the rock and the hard place but actually complicit.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
I'm not convinced that Starmer isn't really a Tory in disguise at this point.
Yes, it's funny how he, an apparently strong Remainer, was the shadow brexit minister isn't it? Now he's changed his tune.

Brexit has always had this weird momentum to it that was just impossible to stop, like some hidden force (wealthy, powerful people in the background) were really pulling the strings. While brexit has now unfortunately happened, it does look like those same forces are still there, ensuring that we stay out. Or at least they're trying to. I basically still suspect that Russia is behind this in order to weaken the West, because we're a nuclear power.

I don't think Corbyn was a saint, and some things he's said and done are iffy, I agree that there appears to have been a concerted smear campaign against him all designed to feed the false "Corbyn is unelectable" narrative, which unfortunately was successful.

I think the country would have been in such a much better place if he'd come to power. However, I do have reservations about his view on nuclear weapons a disarmament, so reckon he might have got rid of them, playing right into Putin's hands. That video I posted of him recently sounding rather pro Putin was iffy af.

Arantor

like some hidden force (wealthy, powerful people in the background) were really pulling the strings
That's exactly it.

Brexit is a methodology of weaponising the Euroskeptics for the purposes of dismantling various of our laws in a way that makes the rich richer.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
True, but there has been a general trend reported across articles over time towards rejoining the EU.

The problem, according to A Different Bias in a recent video, is that the thin band of swing voters who decide elections, are still quite pro brexit. How they could be is ridiculous, I know, but that's what Starmer's got to work with, hence his make brexit work stance. Even so, I think there's more to it and I don't like it at all.

Crims

Wethermon
True, but there has been a general trend reported across articles over time towards rejoining the EU.

The problem, according to A Different Bias in a recent video, is that the thin band of swing voters who decide elections, are still quite pro brexit. How they could be is ridiculous, I know, but that's what Starmer's got to work with, hence his make brexit work stance. Even so, I think there's more to it and I don't like it at all.
Shit or get off the pot is my honest opinion on him. I don't expect anything else just yet. I'm optimistic for our general political state when we get a fresh bunch in.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Oh dear, such cutting criticism!

I've never heard it put like that before.

Arantor

I'm optimistic for our general political state when we get a fresh bunch in.
Sadly, I'm not.

Labour is just Tory-lite at this point. Seriously, watch the last couple of interviews with Starmer and tell me that you think Sunak couldn't have said the same things with *anyone* coaching him just the tiniest bit. And Wes Streeting... makes me shudder if he's ever let anywhere near the NHS.

Crims

Wethermon
Any good that could come from the independence is likely squandered with trade without EU countries being unlikely.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Stuff like (edit):
1. the 2008 'plan' by the PM which killed the economy in the long term (ie sell gold reserves)
2. 2010 austerity measures by David Cameron
3. Made up taxes from Gordon Brown, and every government since
4. Policies introduced by the coalition government
5. Anti-democratic policies
-using tax to eventually ban basic stuff - non electric cars for londoners is the most recent
-criminalising everything after we the worlds best for anti-drug and democratic protest 2008-2015
-arguably fascist long term policies like kettling
etc

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Another "benefit" of brexit. I remember Remainers warning of this before the referendum and now it has come to pass as have so many other predictions. And the hit on the country in so many ways is only gonna continue to get worse.

Arantor

Project fear! We hold all the cards! The EU needs us more than we need them! Easiest trade deal in history!

-sigh- Never was so much owed to so many, taken by so few.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Addressing the failings of brexit sounds great, with leavers finally acknowledging the damage that it's doing to the country, but then they have this line:

Stating that “rejoining the EU will not be on the agenda”...

This is the critical fix for brexit, reversing it, not faffing around with it, trying to "make it work". It's pure garbage built on lies and fraud, get rid of it! This continued deference to brexit, even now, when the problems with it are so increasingly apparent, makes me so angry. :mad:

And why all the secrecy? Why don't they want us to know about this meeting?

At least the problems with it are finally, belatedly, being discussed openly in the mainstream media and radio stations like LBC and the electorate continues to become more rejoin friendly, if far too slowly. Better late than never, I guess.

Crims

Wethermon
The tories are holding meetings with labour. I'm going with my hunch here: Both are full of overly political, greed-filled shitheads. For the only viable choice, Starmer knows a lot about economics, so guaranteed it wouldn't be used. Kind of difficult to monetise economic isolation - though I'm sure he'll give it a go.

Last edited:

Arantor

The Tories and the Other Tories. Note that the honourable gentleman candidate from North Islington was not invited, he lives rent-free in everyone's head but his answers would be so problematic to the gravy train he can't possibly be invited.

Crims

Wethermon
When looking up a article on doctors I found a tangential wiki article that led me down a rabbit hole, and ironically found the mention of Brexit twice.

Shit Life Syndrome
SLS is a term invented here in the UK that describes patients, from an NHS perspective, who have a shit life. Shit Life Syndrome is a toxic ideology and has inherent inequality, narcissistic facets. Basically put, it's caveman instinct, and a smattering of greed wrapped in classism.

I think it's antiprogressive and classist, but I like many like to think about smart ways of life, so stuff like this comes up occasionally.
A choice comment
It is surely that the proponents of Brexit have an us style model for post Brexit UK in mind, small state, low wage killer capitalism that leads to a shit life syndrome for the mass of the population.

Actualising Tendency
Actualising Tendency is the opposite. Finding personal worth, and that worth is not dictated externally.
It's toxic to rely on failure, though if that were even the case hobbyist forums and work places trump it. sharing ideas and operations provides measured response and perspective that is a remedy for that. Especially as the internet is a good measuring stick to judge the actual worth of things. Heck, my graphic design from 2009 is as worthy as a graphic design nowadays.

Personally, an external (gasp) appreciative body would be excellent for this, like CALM meets the London Critics Society. Traditionally focused, primarily about contents over presentation. 'humble' is incredibly detrimental to personal worth in the UK, so perspective would improve matters. In general, criticism has a tendency to even a system out, and this is what I'm entrusting.

EDIT: Actualising tendency is actual good advice on improving life quality, and focuses on important addressable aspects.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This is the same TV station that has the charlatan Nigel Farage as one of its presenters, who was instrumental in conning the country into doing brexit.

Since the country is increasingly turning against brexit, it could help explain those losses as people tune out.

I hope this channel goes down in flames.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Back
Top Bottom