The COVID-19 thread

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
My ophthalmologist told me in the spring of 2020 it was a lab leak and not the first one. I almost fell out of my chair. The scary part is now what? Reading your article this afternoon, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The COVID-19 global health emergency is officially over! According to the WHO and about time, too.

I've noticed the clear plastic barriers coming down in many shops lately, which is welcome.

That's good to hear that your plastic barriers are coming down. They made the world so "clinical" everywhere you went. Even if you went to get fast food through a drive through, plastic shields were up and a lot of fast food places handed you your food from the window through a tray in an effort to be totally "contactless".

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
The pandemic felt like it was gonna last forever when we were in it, now it feels like it went by in a flash
I know what you mean, but then I think it left all of us with some scars from either being ill, or loosing loved ones that were ill, and the impressions of hearing the stories of survival beyond so many odds. Then there are those, seeing the world a bit different, shopping a bit differently and mini-prepping for any future epidemics or pandemics to come....and sometimes missing the pre-pandemic years.

DIMIDEAS

I know what you mean, but then I think it left all of us with some scars from either being ill, or loosing loved ones that were ill, and the impressions of hearing the stories of survival beyond so many odds. Then there are those, seeing the world a bit different, shopping a bit differently and mini-prepping for any future epidemics or pandemics to come....and sometimes missing the pre-pandemic years.

It sucked not having a normal ending to my senior year due to covid. I was the covid class of 2020. I only just recently got over it.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It sucked not having a normal ending to my senior year due to covid. I was the covid class of 2020. I only just recently got over it.
I'm so sorry, @DIMIDEAS, graduating students deserved their moment of commencement as a super achievement during the pandemic. I'll take a moment and give you a belated congrats on your graduation. Congrats! :)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
The Eat Out to Help Out scheme always looked like an insane policy and so it's proved. Johnson and Sunak should go down for this, ie prison as they caused the needless sickness and death of thousands by their stupid policies. Oh and they clearly lied about "following the science".

I never took them up on it at the time and stayed in lockdown.

Speaking to the Observer, Prof John Edmunds of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, who was a member of the Sage committee of advisers to ministers and who has submitted written evidence to the inquiry, said the controversial Eat Out to Help Out scheme – which gave people discounts for eating in restaurants and pubs – was never discussed with scientists.

“If we had [been consulted], I would have been clear what I thought about it,” said Edmunds. “As far as I am concerned, it was a spectacularly stupid idea and an obscene way to spend public money.”

Eat Out to Help Out was launched in August 2020. It allowed diners to claim 50% off more than 160m meals at a cost to the Treasury of about £850m. In the process, it also drove new Covid-19 infections up by between 8 and 17%, according to a study carried out by Thiemo Fetzer, an economist at the University of Warwick, a few weeks later.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Check this out. I love how mankind goes from being completely blindsided by some nasty little bug to fighting it and eventually winning big time. Remember how having HIV / AIDS in the early 80s was a death sentence? Nowadays, people can live perfectly healthy lives by taking daily anti viral drugs for it where the disease remains undetectable in the blood.

Now, we've found people with natural covid immunity and also why their immune, which will lead to better vaccines in time.

An Australian-led research team has uncovered the first genetic link to strong immunity against Covid-19, which may help to explain why some people never develop any symptoms of the illness.

A person who carries one copy of the protective HLA-B15 gene is twice as likely to remain asymptomatic after infection with the Sars CoV-2 virus that causes Covid-19, while someone who carries two copies of the gene is eight times more likely to have no symptoms, the research, published on Thursday in the journal Nature, found.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Check this out. I love how mankind goes from being completely blindsided by some nasty little bug to fighting it and eventually winning big time. Remember how having HIV / AIDS in the early 80s was a death sentence? Nowadays, people can live perfectly healthy lives by taking daily anti viral drugs for it where the disease remains undetectable in the blood.

Now, we've found people with natural covid immunity and also why their immune, which will lead to better vaccines in time.

I saw this the other day and saved it for further reading.....glad you posted this article. I find the study of genetics and epi-genetics very interesting.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
covid clearly hasn't gone away and this is yet more evidence of this, so why doesn't the government roll out the vaccines again?

I'm one of the most pro vaccine people around and I recently asked if I could have another booster jab as it's been so long now, but it's simply not possible, even to pay for one and that can't be right.

Fears of a spike in Covid cases have been ignited as sales of tests have shot up by a third.

Health officials have said they are closely monitoring rates as an increase in cases as well as hospital admissions have been seen by surveillance systems, while people are experiencing more coughs, sore throats and headaches.

Estimated case numbers jumped by almost 200,000 this month, from 606,656 predicted cases on 4 July to 785,980 on 27 July, according to The Zoe Health Study, which estimates figures for UK Covid infections.

aussiefooty

Covid is not over.

Here in Ballarat alone it's still causing havock everywhere.
Parents making their ill kids go to school. Not just with covid it's with other viruses as well.

Reckon the whole going to school and work in winter here in Australia and work and school in summer for you guys in the uk needs re-thinking.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Covid is just going to keep mutating and will always be with us like the flu.

I'm sorry to hear @aussiefooty that you have so much Covid going through your area. Stay well!

aussiefooty

Covid is just going to keep mutating and will always be with us like the flu.

I'm sorry to hear @aussiefooty that you have so much Covid going through your area. Stay well!
It always happens. We have some selfish parents around my area who make their ill kids turn up to school.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
It always happens. We have some selfish parents around my area who make their ill kids turn up to school.

I don't think parents are fully prepared to stay at home from work either when their child is sick. So many send their kids to school here too, pumped with cold medicine and/or Tylenol to get through the day.

aussiefooty

I don't think parents are fully prepared to stay at home from work either when their child is sick. So many send their kids to school here too, pumped with cold medicine and/or Tylenol to get through the day.
I used to do the same thing when at school.
Get a cold i'd be covered in vicks and have a pack of vicks vapour drops with me.
Problem was that it would get to my chest and i'd get bronchitis.
Which then caused my asthma to be triggered.
Then you'd get gastro going through the school. It starts after an ill kid brings it to school. Not only they get picked up from school because they've spewed their guts up everywhere but you'd get a lot of people missing the next day because they picked up the gastro bug.

aussiefooty

Even today we cannot go to my parents place if you've had the runs, or a cold, or gastro.
Dad's got no immune system from having cancer treatments the last few years.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
About spreading sickness, what gets me is that employers, especially private sector ones, want you in the office if you can make it, even if you warn them that you're infectious, rather than going sick. They really pile on the pressure to come in and I absolutely hate that. All they care about is productivity and the bottom line, the staff be damned. That's so unreasonable.

The situation is obviously not so bad if your job allows home working.

I'm sorry about your dad, @aussiefooty. At least he's still with us.

aussiefooty

About spreading sickness, what gets me is that employers, especially private sector ones, want you in the office if you can make it, even if you warn them that you're infectious, rather than going sick. They really pile on the pressure to come in and I absolutely hate that. All they care about is productivity and the bottom line, the staff be damned. That's so unreasonable.

The situation is obviously not so bad if your job allows home working.

I'm sorry about your dad, @aussiefooty. At least he's still with us.
Yeah Dad ended up getting a bout of covid around my birthday last year.
Person who had it and gave it to him didn't bother to mask up.
So dad ended up having to get anti virals and other medication which made him feel rotten.
But this is what happens when you let a virus into a cancer patient's life.

aussiefooty

Found out that a friend of mine who had leukaemia for years is going through bone marrow failure.
he's not too well at all.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Sorry to hear about your dad's cancer challenges @aussiefooty, and I totally get why people can't come visit your dad when they aren't well. I hope he stays strong and perseveres!

Also sorry to hear about your friend's bone marrow failure. I hope there's an improvement for your friend to get better.

aussiefooty

Sorry to hear about your dad's cancer challenges @aussiefooty, and I totally get why people can't come visit your dad when they aren't well. I hope he stays strong and perseveres!

Also sorry to hear about your friend's bone marrow failure. I hope there's an improvement for your friend to get better.
With my mate's bone marrow failure he doesn't have long to live as he's losing a lot of weight.
Dad's cancer he had two tumours that needed taking out. Bladder cancer and prostate cancer.
Has to wear a cathethdar and a bag for peeing in.
He's going ok. But as he has got no immune system he takes longer to get over all viruses.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
With my mate's bone marrow failure he doesn't have long to live as he's losing a lot of weight.
Few things are more sad and distressing than someone who's terminally ill. It's rough for all of you in that circle of family and friends, especially when they pass, and I think I speak for both myself and Tiffany when I say our hearts are with you on this.

aussiefooty

Few things are more sad and distressing than someone who's terminally ill. It's rough for all of you in that circle of family and friends, especially when they pass, and I think I speak for both myself and Tiffany when I say our hearts are with you on this.
It's a matter of weeks now with my mate. last year he made to the presentation night for an umpiring group he and i were both with. (He doesn't umpire with us now but used to coach us goal umpires)
Up until last month he lost his way with his walking and is now using a walking frame and a wheelchair to get around in.
He has to wear oxygen lines that help him breathe.
He lost a hell of a lot of weight. It only takes a cold to make him terribly sick.
Someone brought a cold to training when he was coaching us back in 2006 and wasn't training but they caused him to become ill.
He threw up 9 times at umpiring, 4 times on the way home from umpiring, twice at home and once in hospital.
it only took a sneeze from someone with a cold to do this.

Back
Top Bottom