The Trump downfall thread

Astro What

It really pisses him off that Melania did not get a spot on the Time and Kamala did.
And only in true Trump "weird world" would he say that Kamala looked like Menalia.
The man is really tossing in the waves from the shock of running against Kamala. He can't get any stable ground under his feet to get traction and seeing his big lead over Biden evaporate has got him "bigly mad".

Astro What

I want an electoral college type system for individual states, so that large population centers do not monopolize the gubernatorial vote
Won't work as well. A governership has historically been a populist position elected by the majority of the population.
It's easier to move out of a state that you don't like the policies of than a country.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
I want an electoral college type system for individual states, so that large population centers do not monopolize the gubernatorial vote
That totally makes sense for state governor races.

Tiffany

Web Diva
Staff Member
Won't work as well. A governership has historically been a populist position elected by the majority of the population.
It's easier to move out of a state that you don't like the policies of than a country.
I think there's a lot of people that are moving to other states because of state policies they disagree with. Look at Texas.

live627

Tell that to people living in eastern Oregon. Moving is hella expensive.

Astro What

I think there's a lot of people that are moving to other states because of state policies they disagree with. Look at Texas.
And that's the point of it being a popular election. You can very easily move... like those that have done so from California to Arizona, Texas or Florida.

It's a little more complicated moving from the U.S. to Canada or similar.
The entire purpose of the EC was to keep a few states from controlling everyone in the entire United States. And it serves its purpose.

If you went to an EC type scenario, you would still be very close to the same.. the little PoDunk counties with 20-30K in them would only have 1 or maybe 2 seats... the counties with the larger population would have well more... that's how the EC is apportioned, by state population, so in that case it would be by county population.

Last edited:

Astro What

Tell that to people living in eastern Oregon. Moving is hella expensive.
Then you deal with the politics/policies where you decide to live.
The point is, you CAN easily (that does not mean cheaply) move from one state to another to get away from those policies. Folks are doing it all the time. In fact, recently there has been a mass exodus of middle class from New York to other states because of the cost of living. It's rather harder to do the same from country to country, and if you do and keep your citizenship for the US, it's even MORE expensive as you still have to pay US taxes while getting VERY little (almost no) benefit from those paid taxes and you then usually have to pay taxes in the country where you reside and you do NOT get the same benefits (usually) that the residents of that country do.

And honestly.. all it would cost me to move from Texas to another state is the fuel to get there. There are jobs in every state in the Union available. Now, might they not be the exact job wanted.. sure... but again, ones wants can have prices/consequences to getting them met.

Last edited:

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
People, embarrassing confession: despite trying to learn a while back about how this electoral college works, I still don't quite get it. 🤦‍♂️ I get that the states are represented by these electors, but the full details I still don't quite get. I know that Trump tried to install his own fake electors to force the election result to go his way, but that's what failed and led to his insurrection.

Astro What

In a nutshell, each state is allocated a set number of EC electors. This is generally based upon the 10 year census that is done. States can have more and less after each census depending on the population flow. So, your larger states like New York, California and such have a higher impact on the election. The smaller states do not and that's why those with 3-4 EC votes tend to get ignored in elections - plus the fact that most of them are pretty set in how they are going to vote already. Those EC electors agree to support whatever party nominee the state vote goes for.

What pisses some of the MAGA faithful off is that the population does NOT have to be U.S. citizens, but the overall population, but the courts have been VERY clear that the way it was written applied to population only.
As a historical aside (and rather ironic when you think of the fact that so many white supremacy fanatics are in in cahoots with them) back "in the day" the north got upset over that because the south had a large population of black slaves, and they were counted into the count as 3/5's of a person, giving the south an equal say pretty much in the elections. Now the shoe is somewhat on the other foot.

Each state has an election for the President. The winner (this is in most states but not all) of that state election for the President then wins that states EC votes. There are a few states that allocate based upon the vote returns so a portion of the EC votes can go to another candidate.
The first candidate that reaches 270 EC votes wins the race to the office. Neither candidate can tie for the 270 as there are not enough EC votes to allow that.
I can see both sides of the argument... but what many don't realize is it is a decent buffer. If it had been a popularity based situation, Trump would never had gotten into office on his first run. It is also a buffer against the very cheating that he decries. It is rather hard to fix 50 states to gain the EC vote compared to "fix" a few large states to bump up those votes into a general pool.

What Trump and Company tried to do was slide invalid electors favorable to him into the mix so that his attorneys could file lawsuits and it would give, in their wack theory, the vice president the option to refuse to accept the true electors of the states choice and then choose those that were Trump supporters. In every word, it was an attempt to subvert the system to keep him in power... in basic terms, an attempt at a coup.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Ok, so it's a form of proportional representation at its heart then, to equalise the effect of the larger states with the smaller ones. I can see that. From all I've learned about democratic systems, there's no perfect one, so each has its pros and cons. The con with the American system is that the result may not match the popular vote which doesn't sound right to me. Just look at what happened in 2016, resulting in years of headaches from Trump for America and the world.

Indeed, it was an attempted coup alright and Trump must pay for it.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Check out Glenn Kirschner saying:

...I absolutely believe, Donald Trump will end up in an orange jumpsuit with his butt in a cell...

This is great news since he really knows his stuff, so if he's predicting it, it stands a good chance of happening. Can't wait. He says this starting at 10:00. Check out the rest of the video from Brian Tyler Cohen, which is informative and interesting, as usual.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
This piece is a great analysis of why Trump's sentencing on 18th September shouldn't be delayed. I mean, it's obvious, but this really gets across well the detailed reasons for exactly why.

Former President Donald Trump’s effort to dodge accountability for his crimes is still going strong. It’s not just his unhinged campaign for president, which represents an attempt to avoid prison. He has also continued pushing for delays in all four criminal cases against him, most recently demanding his criminal sentencing in Manhattan be delayed until after the election. Because there is no basis for this latest delay under the law and Trump’s political purposes are so obvious, the court should reject this out of hand.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
In this new poll, Harris's lead over Trump is still very small, but it's a big improvement over how Biden was doing. It's really gotta be better than this to have confidence that the Dems will win.

I just don't get how people can vote for Trump, especially independent voters who aren't part of the MAGA cult and hence should see right through him.

Astro What

Can't wait to see the melt-down from Trump on his Truth Social site... Kamala has turned the heat up to extra high in the frying pan that Trump has been sitting in.

live627

I just don't get how people can vote for Trump, especially independent voters who aren't part of the MAGA cult and hence should see right through him.
Independents care about the economy. Trump does, too, or he claims to. I have my doubts. Republicans are generally viewed as better for the economy than Dems.

Astro What

Independents care about the economy. Trump does, too, or he claims to. I have my doubts. Republicans are generally viewed as better for the economy than Dems.
Generally I would agree... but the last 7-8 years has turned that topsy-turvy.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Thing is that's irrelevant when one sees what Trump is really about* and that's what I'm getting at. How do those things not completely and totally put them off him, like almost 100% of them? We know that none of those things matter to MAGA supporters such as our @Geffers on NerdZone but to everyone else they should.

*When I say really about, I'm talking things like the insurrection, being a wannabe dictator and destroying democracy, a convicted felon, a convicted sex offender and more, all the usual things that have been discussed here, on the news, YouTube channels and more at length.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Harris's poll lead is widening. Looking good.

Astro What

Not abnormal to get a post convention bump. She's going to have to be able to keep it in place though.

Astro What

Something else to waste some time on.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Trump is fighting increasingly dirty to "win" this election at all costs. He must be stopped at all costs. All costs.

This year's election is shaping up to be decided in court, rather than the ballot box, legal experts told Business Insider, and both Donald Trump and Kamala Harris are preparing for a nasty legal battle to duke it out.

Republican groups, both formally and informally aligned with Trump, are preparing to challenge the outcome of the election in multiple battleground states.

The Guardian reported that Trump allies in Georgia have adopted new rules for the state's election board, allowing members to potentially delay certification of the election over undefined inquiries into ballot discrepancies.

In Arizona, Michigan, and Nevada, the GOP has pushed for voter rolls to be purged despite established federal limits on doing so in the months before the election.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Here's a couple more juicy tidbits about Trump coming unstuck for you, dear reader:

People are making fun of Trump for trying to chicken out of the debate with Kamala Harris on 10th September. Poor Donny is stuck between a rock and a hard place, since he looks bad if he chickens out, while if he debates, Harris will tear him a new one and make him look ridiculous. Can't wait! :ROFLMAO:

And that classified documents case ain't going away, even with corrupt judge Aileen Canon's help. You gotta face the music now, Donny. ;)

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
Check out this creepy Kamala-Trump parody! :ROFLMAO:

Astro What

And that classified documents case ain't going away, even with corrupt judge Aileen Canon's help. You gotta face the music now, Donny.
The ironic thing... the very deal he hung his hat on to get rid of that (special counsel being invalid) is exactly what he's saying he'll be appointing if/when he gets elected for Biden.
If that doesn't tell you exactly where his mindset is, then nothing will.

The bad news for Donnie and Aileen... there is a VERY high probability she's going to get overturned by the 11th Court of Appeals and Aileen will be kicked to the curb from hearing the case and a new judge will be appointed.
That is just reinforced by the fact that the judge overseeing the Hunter Biden case has ruled that the appointment of a special prosecutor was valid. I really hope Aileen will enjoy killing her career like she did.

Retro

Founder
Staff Member
You know, her corruption is so obvious, that I wonder if she knew that she's ruining her career, but doesn't care because he paid* her off to the tune of an enormous amount of money, enough so that she doesn't have to work again. After all, the one thing that he wants is delay beyond the election and she succeeded in doing that. Thing is, it's unlikely to help him now that he's up against Harris who's likely to win and hence these legal chickens in the form of the three remaining trials will come home to roost after the election. It wouldn't surprise me if she ends up doing time for her part in this, too. We can only wait and see.

*I have no evidence of this, just a suspicion.

We've finally done it - the first thread with 1000 posts and this is it! :D:cool:

Back
Top Bottom